Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheisu

Future Surgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 15 year old Sophomore in High School.

My goal in life is to become a surgeon, and I will never stop until I reach that goal.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to get a little more involved in medicine? I volunteer at my local hospital in the Emergency Department, but It's not enough. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

My goal in life is to become a surgeon, and I will never stop until I reach that goal.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to get a little more involved in medicine? I volunteer at my local hospital in the Emergency Department, but It's not enough. Any advice?

I don't know how to say this nicely so I'll just say it. I doubt your commitment. I knew I wanted to be a surgeon since 3rd grade and I started my grade schools ONLY pre-medical club. In addition I was President, vice-president, coordinator and only member of my grade and high schools surgical interest club. I cut my own thumb off and sutured it back in place a total of 834 times and the damn thing still kinda works, thats comitment. Any socially inept ******ed can cling to a "goal in life" starting in highschool and use that goal as a reason to shun normal activities and interactions with people that have excluded them. But it takes a real ******ed to stick out 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency to do something you may not love just because you've built up so many expectations in yourself and those around you.

I don't know how to say this nicely so I'll just say it. I doubt your commitment. I knew I wanted to be a surgeon since 3rd grade and I started my grade schools ONLY pre-medical club. In addition I was President, vice-president, coordinator and only member of my grade and high schools surgical interest club. I cut my own thumb off and sutured it back in place a total of 834 times and the damn thing still kinda works, thats comitment. Any socially inept ******ed can cling to a "goal in life" starting in highschool and use that goal as a reason to shun normal activities and interactions with people that have excluded them. But it takes a real ******ed to stick out 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency to do something you may not love just because you've built up so many expectations in yourself and those around you.

10/10:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

If you have the interest, loose the "aspiring surgeon" attitude, and live life. If you can find one, take an EMT class. Go slowly. Right now, be a high school student interested in health care, not some "future surgeon and nothing can change my mind." There ARE some people who know that they want to be in medicine during/before High School - there are other teenage girls who see an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" and want to find their McDreamy through becoming a doctor.

I'd talk to someone at your school - see if you guys could start up a Medical Science Club. The bottom line is that you need a taste of reality...so if that's hearing from medical professionals through a medical science club OR getting your EMT and working in health care, so be it. You need to break the gaze. Learn about the dirty little secrets in the health care field. Get patient-exposure; see if you can handle dealing with people on that level.

And last, don't listen to those j-rkoffs who tell you that you can't do it or that you don't know what you want. You are the only one who knows if you can do it, and no body else knows what you want. You need to figure out if what you want is a fantasy or a reality, and make it happen slowly. Set your goals high, but be start low. If you can get to the point where you can say "this is the WORST job ever... but I love it" you'll know that you're in the right place. Do the dirty work.

Did my grade school have a pre-medical club? No. Does my high-school have a surgical interest club? No. Does cutting your thumb off so you can suture it back in place make you smart or a better surgeon? Definitely not. I know I wouldn't want to have someone who cut their own limb off operating on me. And I do love medicine and what I do at the hospital. I couldn't see myself doing anything else besides being a surgeon, really. I have too much talent to waste, and I am not going to let people like you try to bring me down. I am going to be a surgeon and I don't care what you say, really. It's my life and I decided a LONG time ago that I wanted to be a doctor.

That's what they all say.

Only time will tell, junior.

If you have the interest, loose the "aspiring surgeon" attitude, and live life. If you can find one, take an EMT class. Go slowly. Right now, be a high school student interested in health care, not some "future surgeon and nothing can change my mind." There ARE some people who know that they want to be in medicine during/before High School - there are other teenage girls who see an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" and want to find their McDreamy through becoming a doctor.

I'd talk to someone at your school - see if you guys could start up a Medical Science Club. The bottom line is that you need a taste of reality...so if that's hearing from medical professionals through a medical science club OR getting your EMT and working in health care, so be it. You need to break the gaze. Learn about the dirty little secrets in the health care field. Get patient-exposure; see if you can handle dealing with people on that level.

And last, don't listen to those j-rkoffs who tell you that you can't do it or that you don't know what you want. You are the only one who knows if you can do it, and no body else knows what you want. You need to figure out if what you want is a fantasy or a reality, and make it happen slowly. Set your goals high, but be start low. If you can get to the point where you can say "this is the WORST job ever... but I love it" you'll know that you're in the right place. Do the dirty work.
10/10 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agree. Going to the counselor and asking if I could get a pre-medicine/surgical interest club started. Not sure how well it would work out, but it sounds like a good idea. I might just do that.

And I don't listen to the people who say "you can't do it". A true doctor or surgeon would NEVER try to discourage a potential surgeon from accomplishing their goal.

A true doctor or surgeon would NEVER try to discourage a potential surgeon from accomplishing their goal.

:laugh:

Lad, you dont know many doctors or surgeons.

:laugh:

Lad, you dont know many doctors or surgeons.

I actually do know some doctors. Some very good ones who have told me they would never try to discourage a potential doctor.

My dad is a surgeon and he tries to talk me out of it all the time.

Out of the 10 or so surgeons I work with, I think maybe two of them have ever told me it was good that I wanted to go into medicine. :laugh:

I actually do know some doctors. Some very good ones who have told me they would never try to discourage a potential doctor.

That's good to hear. Unfortunately, for many of us, the vast majority of physicians will try to dissuade you from pursuing medicine. :(

nah

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to hear. Unfortunately, for many of us, the vast majority of physicians will try to dissuade you from pursuing medicine. :(
Well, it doesn't matter whether they dissuade me or not. I guess I'll just have to become one before they will take me seriously and realize that it's not just some High Schooler's "dream"

P.S.: I barely care about the money you make as a surgeon. It's not all about glory and money for ME, I see it as giving myself up to help others. I feel so safe in a hospital setting it's unbelievable. I will be a surgeon some day, so those that are going to try to dissuade me - don't. It won't work.

Well, it doesn't matter whether they dissuade me or not. I guess I'll just have to become one before they will take me seriously and realize that it's not just some High Schooler's "dream"

P.S.: I barely care about the money you make as a surgeon. It's not all about glory and money for ME, I see it as giving myself up to help others. I feel so safe in a hospital setting it's unbelievable. I will be a surgeon some day, so those that are going to try to dissuade me - don't. It won't work.

See that part above? :clap:

Focus on THAT right now.

You have a LOT of time before you even worry about becoming a surgeon...10 years or so.

Dreams change, plans change...LIFE changes.

Keep working hard in school, volunteer and help your community grow, and learn all you can about everything you can.

Go to a good college and really experience life.

Medical school isnt going anywhere and there will always be surgical residencies.

I think focusing on the SAT (and not MCAT or USMLE) is what you need to be doing now.

Dont get so caught up in what you want to do in 20 years that you miss out on what you COULD be doing today.

:thumbup:

Well, thanks ^^

I've always loved helping people. Helping others is what I do when I feel sad or upset. Making others happy makes me happy, that's why I want to be a doctor. I feel it important that I become a doctor. I respect doctors/surgeons SO much and they give so much to people, and I want to be able to do the same.

Did my grade school have a pre-medical club? No. Does my high-school have a surgical interest club? No. Does cutting your thumb off so you can suture it back in place make you smart or a better surgeon? Definitely not. I know I wouldn't want to have someone who cut their own limb off operating on me. And I do love medicine and what I do at the hospital. I couldn't see myself doing anything else besides being a surgeon, really. I have too much talent to waste, and I am not going to let people like you try to bring me down. I am going to be a surgeon and I don't care what you say, really. It's my life and I decided a LONG time ago that I wanted to be a doctor.

:scared::laugh::scared::laugh::scared::laugh:

If this is your dream, more power to you. :thumbup: I say pursue your dream! Not everyone is fortunate enough to know what they want to do with their life early on.

Having said that, my usual advice is just to keep an open mind as you progress through high school and college. Even when you get to med school, as you go through each rotation, keep an open mind and try to learn as much as possible.

Don't forget the importance of staying well-rounded - have other pursuits outside of medicine/academics, such as sports, hobbies, a good social support system, etc.

In the end, if you end up in surgery, well, that's awesome!

Don't let people talk you out of following your dream. Just keep your options open.

Edit: just wanted to add that I was one of the lucky ones - when I became interested in medicine as a college freshman, it was primarily in Cardiothoracic Surgery. 10+ years later, I'm fortunate enough to still be pursuing that dream.

maybe you should finish high school first ;)

Initially, I didn't believe it myself until I saw this. Now, I fear the future...

Initially, I didn't believe it myself until I saw this. Now, I fear the future...

HAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this thread is hilarious

Chiesu, i applaud your dedication and motivation. Dont let bitter doctors talk you out of what you want to become. Sometimes your own self motivation is what will see you thru. Unfortunately many eager naive motivated entering medical students soon become bitter throughout school and residency. Its hard to maintain that eager attitude we once had when we first arrived and put on our short white coats. When challenging times occur one after the other it just gets really hard. You do have to realize that nothing comes without a price. The field of surgery is definetly glorious but you have to consider the lifestyle and the unforseen sacrifices that surgeons make. However, definetly at this point of time in your life you should strive ahead to achieve your goal. If you want to be a doctor and that all you want to consider doing than have a tunnel vision like attitude during highschool and college. Pursuing such a competitive field requires that you remain focused and dedicated. Once you get into college you'll see how many "distractions" life can throw at you. However, if you're only thinking about medicine then keep your mind open to other avenues and career choices in medicine throughout college. You should definetly associate yourself with those in the medical field. There are a lot of ways you can contribute beside being a doctor. Med tech, surgical techs, CNAs etc,physical therapist. I know a person that works as an assistant in physiatry (physical medicine and rehab and makes $90,000 per year working 9-5 no weekends and no $2-300,00 in loans!) The more "well rounded" you can present yourself to be on your medical school application and personal statement the higher your chances of getting accepted to medical school will be. They are wary of students that say i know i want to be a ______ and thats all i want to be. Those type of students usually stress themselves right out of medical school if they cant for some reason live up to those self proclaimed expectations. Once you get into medical school, and i'm sure your will, you'll see that there are sooooo mannnnyy fields in medicine and a lot of which have surgical procedures without the surgeon's stressful lifestyle --- for example gynecology, radiation oncolgy, etc.

For now you should focus on being a well rounded high school student and on improving your application to get into collge. If you want to apply to a pre-med program, then you should shadow some local physcians and ask for letters of recommendation. You dont have to just shadow surgeons either.

You seem like a really strong motivated student. I'm sure you wont have any problems. Best of luck to you

Chiesu, i applaud your dedication and motivation. Dont let bitter doctors talk you out of what you want to become. Sometimes your own self motivation is what will see you thru. Unfortunately many eager naive motivated entering medical students soon become bitter throughout school and residency. Its hard to maintain that eager attitude we once had when we first arrived and put on our short white coats. When challenging times occur one after the other it just gets really hard. You do have to realize that nothing comes without a price. The field of surgery is definetly glorious but you have to consider the lifestyle and the unforseen sacrifices that surgeons make. However, definetly at this point of time in your life you should strive ahead to achieve your goal. If you want to be a doctor and that all you want to consider doing than have a tunnel vision like attitude during highschool and college. Pursuing such a competitive field requires that you remain focused and dedicated. Once you get into college you'll see how many "distractions" life can throw at you. However, if you're only thinking about medicine then keep your mind open to other avenues and career choices in medicine throughout college. You should definetly associate yourself with those in the medical field. There are a lot of ways you can contribute beside being a doctor. Med tech, surgical techs, CNAs etc,physical therapist. I know a person that works as an assistant in physiatry (physical medicine and rehab and makes $90,000 per year working 9-5 no weekends and no $2-300,00 in loans!) The more "well rounded" you can present yourself to be on your medical school application and personal statement the higher your chances of getting accepted to medical school will be. They are wary of students that say i know i want to be a ______ and thats all i want to be. Those type of students usually stress themselves right out of medical school if they cant for some reason live up to those self proclaimed expectations. Once you get into medical school, and i'm sure your will, you'll see that there are sooooo mannnnyy fields in medicine and a lot of which have surgical procedures without the surgeon's stressful lifestyle --- for example gynecology, radiation oncolgy, etc.

For now you should focus on being a well rounded high school student and on improving your application to get into collge. If you want to apply to a pre-med program, then you should shadow some local physcians and ask for letters of recommendation. You dont have to just shadow surgeons either.

You seem like a really strong motivated student. I'm sure you wont have any problems. Best of luck to you

I totally agree! Don't listen to all these guys that sit and complain all the time. Follow your heart!

I would definitely recommend shadowing some doctors just to get a feel of the physician life.

Good Luck with your career dreams!

:thumbup:

I've always loved helping people. Helping others is what I do when I feel sad or upset. Making others happy makes me happy, that's why I want to be a doctor. I feel it important that I become a doctor. I respect doctors/surgeons SO much and they give so much to people, and I want to be able to do the same.

If your happiness is going to depend on how happy your patients are, then maybe you need to reevaluate surgery. As surgeons, our primary means of treatment inflicts great suffering in order to cure the same. Postoperatively, you cannot reasonably expect your patients to fill up your love tank. They are too tired, hungry, and uncomfortable.

When you are a surgeon you have to be willing to push that sweet old lady to walk up and down the halls; even though she just had surgery 3 days ago, feels like you punched her in the stomach, and hasn't had a good night's sleep all week. If you need her to love you for that, I'm sorry, prepare to be dissapointed. But if you can be fulfilled knowing that a sick patient has survived her hospital experience and is on her way to recovery, then let that be enough.

Well that is far too much for now.
Go back to your couscous.
And as always: I am the Great Saphenous!

uh.

Well so much has already been said.

I agree with what most has been said. Take a step back and just concentrate on having fun in high school (while getting the good grades). Sneak some beers, go to parties, dress up for prom, try to get laid..all the usual stuff. No high school girls want to hook up with that weirdo who only talks about how much he loves volunteering at the hospital and thinks it's cool to read gray's anatomy during AP english. Everyone goes through stages of "I wanna be an astronaut..i wanna be a fireman, i wanna blah blah". Despite you saying "I know lots of doctors," I doubt you really know what their lifestyle is like or what their job is like.

uh.

Well so much has already been said.

I agree with what most has been said. Take a step back and just concentrate on having fun in high school (while getting the good grades). Sneak some beers, go to parties, dress up for prom, try to get laid..all the usual stuff. No high school girls want to hook up with that weirdo who only talks about how much he loves volunteering at the hospital and thinks it's cool to read gray's anatomy during AP english. Everyone goes through stages of "I wanna be an astronaut..i wanna be a fireman, i wanna blah blah". Despite you saying "I know lots of doctors," I doubt you really know what their lifestyle is like or what their job is like.
Well, I never wanted to "be an astronaut" lol because I couldn't see myself doing that and it doesn't seem like something that I would enjoy >< I do enjoy working at the hospital, and seeing surgeries (actual surgical procedures on sites like MedlinePlus), makes me think "hey, I think I would be good at that". I think I have what it takes to be a surgeon... I am not squeamish at all, I want to help people stay alive, and I want to help. There is one thing I am worried about, and I have a question about: Well... I don't have very good eyesight, my right eye is actually has very bad vision, but my left eye is about 20/20, and I have glasses that help alot. Do you think this would be a problem?

And I know high school grades are not EVERYTHING, but I am generally very good at school, and I get very decent grades

Theres always lasix.
Also, through my rotations, i realized that a lot of people die on surgery - postop complications etc. Not the happiest rotation for sure.

It may actually worsen it, too. :) Blurred vision and photosensitivity are possible side effects.

You realize I was joking above... ;)

Theres always lasix.

LASIX IS A GREAT OPTION... if you're an old man with CHF.
If you don't have cirrhosis, CHF, or renal disease (more specifically the edema associated with them), I would try Lasik Surgery.
:D

Hahaha, but to give GYN DOC benefit of the doubt, it was probably a slip.

I think GYN DOC probably wants to be a surgeon now perhaps?

All I know is you better give ur SDN name a generic one and not something like...futurepediatrician and then start wanting to be neurosurgeon or something.

This reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit where William Shatner was hosting and the skit was set at a Star Trek convention. Shatner asked one of the hard core Trekkies, "Have you ever kissed a girl?"

Serously, 15 years old. Concentrate on getting into a good university that has a track record of putting kids into medical school. All of the Big 10 schools are excellent. Once you get accepted to college, find the premed club and follow their recipie for success.

I don't know how to say this nicely so I'll just say it. I doubt your commitment. I knew I wanted to be a surgeon since 3rd grade and I started my grade schools ONLY pre-medical club. In addition I was President, vice-president, coordinator and only member of my grade and high schools surgical interest club. I cut my own thumb off and sutured it back in place a total of 834 times and the damn thing still kinda works, thats comitment.

Did my grade school have a pre-medical club? No. Does my high-school have a surgical interest club? No. Does cutting your thumb off so you can suture it back in place make you smart or a better surgeon? Definitely not. I know I wouldn't want to have someone who cut their own limb off operating on me.

Step #1: Get into college.

Step #2: Grow a sense of humor. dynx was being sarcastic. (By the way, that word might be on your SAT!)

"Does cutting your thumb off so you can suture it back in place make you smart or a better surgeon?" For pete's sake.

I have too much talent to waste

Um. Huh.

I am going to be a surgeon and I don't care what you say, really. It's my life and I decided a LONG time ago that I wanted to be a doctor.

How long ago, exactly, is a "long time ago"? Particularly as you are only 15 years old? Just a thought.

You haven't been alive long enough to have decided anything a long time ago. At your age, I wanted to be a rock star. Nothing could talk me out of it. I had a garage band and everything. ;)

Take life a step at a time man. Medicine is not what you think it is at 15, because you can't understand what the expectations are at that age. You haven't had enough responsibility yet to understand real life pressures. You haven't even had to pay your own rent or buy your own food. Take it slow, go to college, do well. Medicine will eat you alive just like everyone else when you get there, so spend the next 10 years developing something that you can take with you on the other side. I don't doubt that some people who wanted to be surgeons at your age did so, but not all. It's too early to know. No one will talk you out of it, but you ought to spend atleast some time trying to talk yourself out of it before you get there.

P.S. If you want to know what being in surgery is like, warm your room up to 100 degrees, wash yourself up to the elbow thoroughly, have someone else dress you in 3 layers of clothing, put on gloves, engage in some complicated activity of the fine motor variety for the next 3-8 hours. During that time, you cannot touch yourself, cannot itch yourself, cannot pee, cannot sit down, cannot really shift out of your position. If you really want to be realistic, yell at a hypothetical nurse that the suction isn't connected properly. To be even more realistic, don't go to sleep the night before.

P.S. If you want to know what being in surgery is like, warm your room up to 100 degrees, wash yourself up to the elbow thoroughly, have someone else dress you in 3 layers of clothing, put on gloves, engage in some complicated activity of the fine motor variety for the next 3-8 hours. During that time, you cannot touch yourself, cannot itch yourself, cannot pee, cannot sit down, cannot really shift out of your position. If you really want to be realistic, yell at a hypothetical nurse that the suction isn't connected properly. To be even more realistic, don't go to sleep the night before.

And to be even more realistic, keep your hands above waist level (but below shoulder level) at all times. If you drop your hands, you've contaminated yourself.

don't forget to:
stay up for 36 hrs straight and only go to the bathroom once. then go to your bedroom and try to decide between eating, going to the bathroom, or going to sleep. I usually choose choice number 3. The other 2 usually sort themselves out in the end ;)

probably time to close this thread eh?

don't forget to:
stay up for 36 hrs straight and only go to the bathroom once. then go to your bedroom and try to decide between eating, going to the bathroom, or going to sleep. I usually choose choice number 3. The other 2 usually sort themselves out in the end ;)

totally possible to do all 3 at the same time.

totally possible to do all 3 at the same time.
How can you eat while you're asleep?

Why would you have contaminated yourself if you drop your hands below your waist or bring them above your shoulders?

Why would you have contaminated yourself if you drop your hands below your waist or bring them above your shoulders?

In sterile (aseptic) technique, anything above your shoulders (e.g. your neck or face) isn't sterile because your mask, exposed skin, etc. aren't prepped in a sterile fashion. Similarly, your back isn't sterile because who knows what's brushed up against it - either the wall, nonsterile instruments, someone walking behind you, etc.

Anything below your waist isn't sterile because often your legs will come into contact with nonsterile objects - for example, an exposed part of the OR table, a desk, etc.

It takes getting used to - everyone contaminates themselves (repeatedly!) during their MS-III surgery rotation.

The basic rule of thumb is, when you're sterile, only touch other things that are sterile. When you're not sterile (i.e. not scrubbed in), only touch other things that are nonsterile.

It's easy to forget once you're gowned and gloved, though - there are times when, unconsciously, you'll reach to scratch your nose, or rub your face, or adjust your gown back, or touch your leg.

It takes getting used to - everyone contaminates themselves (repeatedly!) during their MS-III surgery rotation.

Hey, OP - to truly replicate the MS III surgery rotation experience, every time you contaminate yourself, you need to have someone (preferably a scrub nurse) yell at you. I mean, REALLY yell at you - like you just ruined his/her whole month.