Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRK Jerk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this must be really annoying to hear over and over again, but please hear me out. I know i'm asking early (before taking step 2), but that's because I am prepared to alter my "plan of attack" based on what my realistic chances are.

I want to do Rad Onc, which is already competitive, but I have an added complication. My fiance is settled in Northern California, with both our families, and so that means my top three choices must be Stanford, UCSF (and UCD, but UCD is about 2 hours away from the Bay Area, where she lives). My rotation grades so far are good, and I think I can get some good letters.

I am currently at a top tier east coast med school. I've done a research year (HHMI) in basic science of tumors (but not a rad onc lab or anything). My step 1 was 261.

How realistic is it for me to try to match at those spots? They just happen to be at extremely competitive schools, and I'm worried that, even though I have the stats to match somewhere in Rad Onc, I don't have the stats to match at Stanford or UCSF.

Any advice is appreciated, I really don't want a long distance marriage (she's locked in her job for three years). I think, if I had really no chance to match there in Rad Onc, I would change to IM and do med onc--no joke. Family is important.

Members don't see this ad.

So your stats and pedigree are obviously pristine. I have little doubt you would match well. The problem is matching at 3 programs with a total of about 8 spots and upwards of 500 applications annualy. Rotate at one or more places, get LORs from prominent faculty and pray to your deity of choice. I would strongly consider interviewing at IM programs as well. You can list multiple specialties on your ERAS rank list.

Also CPMC has a Rad Onc residency program in SF.

PM me if you want more info on UCSF.

I know this must be really annoying to hear over and over again, but please hear me out. I know i'm asking early (before taking step 2), but that's because I am prepared to alter my "plan of attack" based on what my realistic chances are.

I want to do Rad Onc, which is already competitive, but I have an added complication. My fiance is settled in Northern California, with both our families, and so that means my top three choices must be Stanford, UCSF (and UCD, but UCD is about 2 hours away from the Bay Area, where she lives). My rotation grades so far are good, and I think I can get some good letters.

I am currently at a top tier east coast med school. I've done a research year (HHMI) in basic science of tumors (but not a rad onc lab or anything). My step 1 was 261.

How realistic is it for me to try to match at those spots? They just happen to be at extremely competitive schools, and I'm worried that, even though I have the stats to match somewhere in Rad Onc, I don't have the stats to match at Stanford or UCSF.

Any advice is appreciated, I really don't want a long distance marriage (she's locked in her job for three years). I think, if I had really no chance to match there in Rad Onc, I would change to IM and do med onc--no joke. Family is important.

Usually I truly hate anyone who has fantastic research and a step score above 250 asking "can I get in questions" but this one really is a great and legitimate question.

Your resume as Gfunk said is "pristine." You probably already know, but if you add some quality rad onc research, get some excellent LORs (go MD
Anderson, MSK for aways), and get some face time over there, you should def. be a candidate, esp for CPMC. Your step scores are high enough, so don't worry about that and that HHMI research is just sweet.

If you really want Rad Onc, you should think about doing something for a year after you graduate (ie push back residency) to improve your chances if you don't make it the first time around. Perhaps rad onc focused research.

Off topic: Could SRK = ShoRyuKen??

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually do not encourage away rotations, but I think that you should strongly consider rotations at both Stanford and UCSF and make it known that you REALLY want to match there.

Getting a great letter of rec from MDACC or MSK would be great, but spending a month or two in California and having letters from out there would go a long way to let them know how serious you are about being on the West Coast.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely try to tack on Rad Onc research at the home program, and I'm thinking of maybe 3 aways (UCSF,Stanford and possibly a "big name" to get a letter of support as suggested). Thanks a lot!

PS, RadOncMegatron, good to see a fellow Street Fighter fan =p