Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspdctr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

After taking the August 10th 2p.m. exam I ended up voiding after I realized I had 3 minutes left on the physical sciences section and still 3 passages left unanswered. I honestly don't know what happened to me, I've never had issues with test anxiety or being distracted so I'm not sure why I failed to perform. I had an average of 34 (8-11) on the FL exams and I did all of them under normal timed conditions. Right now I plan to retake in January, considering there are no open seats for this month or September. Anyways, I had a couple of questions and was hoping some of you could possible answer them.

1. When originally studying from May-August I feel as though I somewhat neglected verbal and as a result it was my weakest section (averaging 9-10), so I had planned to really buckle down this round. Now that I have another ~5 months to study what should I do for verbal practice? I've already gone through EK 101 and TPRH Verbal. Would it be practical to buy older/newer editions of the same books or do the passages remain the same with each new edition?

2. If those 70 minutes of suffering Friday taught me anything it was that I may have been prepared for the material, but not for the test as a whole. I now realize that I didn't do enough research on the actual testing center/environment. I guess I thought it would be similar to any other standardized test or even normal college exam from my previous years in terms of environmental stress (minimal noise, everyone starts at roughly same time (and on time)). During the actual test I basically had two extremes to choose from, noise canceling headphones that blocked out the world at the expense of crushing my head or the loud tapping of keyboards. What I'll probably do is buy a pair of those headphones or some earplugs and study for the next 5 months while using them because what distracted me more than anything was constantly taking off and putting on that pair of headphones (the proctors probably though i was insane). So here are a few questions about the actual testing center/environment.

• Are all the people in that same 8-10 seat room taking the 2:00pm (or whatever time you're scheduled) mCAT? If so, why have they already started when its not even 1:30 yet? It was my understanding that you should be at the testing center 30 minutes early in order to be checked in so that you could ideally START around 2:00 PM, I had no idea I'd be sitting down around roughly 1:50 and starting my tutorial while the guy next to me was halfway through his written section (how is he 2 1/2 hours ahead 10 minutes before the test is even suppose to start?). Obviously I had expected/planned for there to be people typing maybe at the same time or before me (given the different speed people take the test and whether or not they break), but I guess I just thought that I wouldn't have the face that until another hour or two (after I got into a groove).
Thanks for reading/replying, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that. In regards to test taking conditions and the headphone issue.. I prepared for this by taking the FLs in actual test conditions..I took them at my school library in a computer room so I would be used to typing/clacking of keys. I would highly suggest you do the same. Also not everyone taking the exam in your room is necessarily taking the MCAT. They could be taking different exams..LSATS, GMATS, etc. So there is a good chance that people will be typing when you begin your exam. Good luck! In regards to your verbal question - you might want to try passages from TBR?

are you still in school? Like are you going to prep for MCAT for Jan while taking classes?

TBR Verbal is super wordy and dense so if you need more help on that kind of stuff then it helps you I suppose.

Nah, I'm working full time while studying so I did most of my studying in the morning before work, which is the same way I'll likely prepare for the Jan test. I had wanted to practice at a library but I honestly just didn't have the time to, so I'm hoping by studying with some uncomfortable headphones or earplugs so that I can better prepare for the testing conditions. Honestly what really distracted me was the noise and the initial shock/confusion of the test center. I was used to noise, but not to the two extremes offered, which is why I would constantly take my earphones on and off (I could either listen to loud typing or my own heartbeat/breathing). I suppose I could take my FL's on the weekend at the library, and then study using earphones or plugs (which I'd then use or something similar to them during the actual test).

Right now I'm mainly concerned about what to use to practice verbal.

Use TPRH verbal workbook, and use a pair of headphones (with ear plugs if you like), in a noisy environment. I tried to do my verbal practice in areas where people were talking around me and otherwise being extremely annoying. Got my test in 2 days. We'll see how it turns out.