Any advise on writing the personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arivli

arivli
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to write my personal statement. Can anyone give me some advise about what type of stuff should I write or not write in it????? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Any life changing experience involving doctors? Something like you nearly died but were brought back and now you want to do the same? Cuz stuff like that is great PS material.

Avoid cursing. Well, maybe once, but that's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
in another thread I read a girl's PS, and she wrote it kind of like an essay, quoting someone else, etc. Is that the way that med schools would like to have it? I would like to keep it very simple....?

The best ADVICE I can give you is this: use a good editor.

another FAQ. Do yourself a favor and search old posts on this forum. Heck, I even gave quite a bit of advice way back, so you can look up my old posts.

good luck and welcome :)
~sunflower

BE GENUINE! I totally realized last night that I was falling into the trap of trying to intellectualize and make my reasons for wanting to be a doc more unique while straying from why I really want to do it...

its always added points if you can include the term "flaming butt pirate" into your personal statement....

Thanks to those of you that gave me serious advise. I wasn't trying to make a joke, so I don't know why some people wrote stupid stuff.

Just stay away from the cheesy...here they sat us down and told us a composite of the student body, combining all students into one stat. It was humorous to see people grimace when they stated their facts like that. Realize that try as you might, for the most part you are not likely to say anything that they have not read a thousand times before..."Since I first remember my pediatrician, with his/her caring attitude toward care, i knew I just...(ralph, gag, puke)....sorry, I cannot even get through the point without feeling ill. My favorites are the ones where people had an injusry/saw someone die...usual crap. I remember when I first wrote mine, I had three people reveiw it, then I looked at it a week later and cringed with all of the cliches I thought seemed so subtle at the time. One person reviewing was in tears with laughter when she called me about it. After working on it, it wound up solid, I can read it now without cringing in the slightest.
Be real, but stay away from grandiose statemnents about this being all you have wanted to do since you were five. If that truly is the case, work it in, but be subtle. I have often wondered what the room is like when the adcom peopel get together to begin reading them,,,I would imagine some are quite humorous. Oh yeah, humor is not necessarily bad, if you intend it.

Just stay away from cliches