Any Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fire0023

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be completeing my final year pre-med with O Chem I and Genetics followed by O Chem 2 second semester as far as science classes are concerened. Was contemplating taking year off prior to start of med school. Would it be that advantageous to go straight into med school without time off. What are pros & cons. Any help with deciding much appriciated. Thanks.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have something specific you want to do, then get this show on the road. Every year you "take off" is a year of six-figure salary that you won't earn down the road.

Advice: Always double check your thread titles ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be completeing my final year pre-med with O Chem I and Genetics followed by O Chem 2 second semester as far as science classes are concerened. Was contemplating taking year off prior to start of med school. Would it be that advantageous to go straight into med school without time off. What are pros & cons. Any help with deciding much appriciated. Thanks.:confused:

time is money!

Interestingly enough I just had a conversation with a current resident about this very topic. His reason for waiting to apply was to work and wait for his wife to graduate nursing school to limit their expenses. He had the hardest time finding a job. He only ended up working for a couple of months before starting med school. If you have something lined up or are wanting to take time to travel or something like that, I say go for it. If you are wanting to work but don't have anything lined up, think twice about it . Unfortunately with only a BS, it is very difficult to find work. Most places for research require a Masters or PhD. Good luck in whatever you choose!!!

I took a year off. Bad idea. I'm going insane.

Interestingly enough I just had a conversation with a current resident about this very topic. His reason for waiting to apply was to work and wait for his wife to graduate nursing school to limit their expenses. He had the hardest time finding a job. He only ended up working for a couple of months before starting med school. If you have something lined up or are wanting to take time to travel or something like that, I say go for it. If you are wanting to work but don't have anything lined up, think twice about it . Unfortunately with only a BS, it is very difficult to find work. Most places for research require a Masters or PhD. Good luck in whatever you choose!!!

That's true if you try to work in a sciency field. However, most people don't realize that in the working world, what your BS has written on it doesn't mean as much as where it came from + the fact that you have one. I really don't know many working people who even have a degree related to the field they are in. I don't think it would be too bad to find some business job (really vague, I know) or something, but I think trying to find something to do with science will really limit your chances of working for one year.

example: I was a biology/history major. I just got a job in finance. (My thoughts: as much money I can make in a year to live off of in Med school ::fingers crossed::, the better.

A little bit of a different slant: I took a year off, paid off my undergrad debt working as a tech at a local hospital and had a GREAT time traveling, drinking beer, going to the beach, casually dating several hot women, enjoying life, etc. etc. Not a bad option as long as you have at least one or two specific goals for that year. The money thing...eh...you're only 21 once. Make it one of the best years of your life. The money will come and it ain't everything.

A little bit of a different slant: I took a year off, paid off my undergrad debt working as a tech at a local hospital and had a GREAT time traveling, drinking beer, going to the beach, casually dating several hot women, enjoying life, etc. etc. Not a bad option as long as you have at least one or two specific goals for that year. The money thing...eh...you're only 21 once. Make it one of the best years of your life. The money will come and it ain't everything.

Advice from a resident ... take it!!!