Any African Americans or Hispanics????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpiritDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
docjg17 said:
Hello everyone,
First I want to say good luck to everyone who is in the process of applying! I am encouraged to see so many minority students interested in a career in medicine. I know that you guys will make it.
Secondly, I want to inform/ask for help with a project that I am currently undertaking. I am currently in the process of designing a website for minorities students interested in a career in healthcare. I am designing this site under a similar format as SDN (it will be different, trust me...but it will have same general format and objective except that it will be geared toward minority students/applicants). I right now in the process of recruiting writers, website designers, marketing associates, etc. If you are interested please post a response to this message and I will private message you back with more details about how you can be involved. Thanks

Actually, there are 3 of these types of sites:
http://msapas04.proboards28.com
http://www.blackdentaledge.com/

Members don't see this ad.

docjg17 said:
Hello everyone,
First I want to say good luck to everyone who is in the process of applying! I am encouraged to see so many minority students interested in a career in medicine. I know that you guys will make it.
Secondly, I want to inform/ask for help with a project that I am currently undertaking. I am currently in the process of designing a website for minorities students interested in a career in healthcare. I am designing this site under a similar format as SDN (it will be different, trust me...but it will have same general format and objective except that it will be geared toward minority students/applicants). I right now in the process of recruiting writers, website designers, marketing associates, etc. If you are interested please post a response to this message and I will private message you back with more details about how you can be involved. Thanks

Actually, there are 3 of these types of sites:
http://msapas04.proboards28.com
http://www.blackdentaledge.com/

Looking for URM, lets make a list of our experiences with med school applications.
I will start it off,
I have applied to
Harvard
Creighton
Emory
Wayne State
Wright State
MCU
Meharry
My AMCAS is under review and I have not received any secondaries

I have already been interveiwed and accepted to Ohio University Colloege of Osteopatic medicine
Looking forward to hearing from you.........
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I have not submitted but will most likely be applying to these:

Brown
UNM
Case western (not sure since I don't know if they will take my old mcat)
Hopkins
UMDNJ
uiowa
unc
utsouthwestern (not sure since I don't know if they will take my old mcat)

Submitted...

:)

great man good luck to you keep everyone updated with your progress.

Submitted amcas and under review....
Received 2 secondaries...GW and NYMC

Maryland,
Howard
UMDNJ
Penn State
Suny upstate
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
VCU
EVMS

i'm an af-am female and applied to...hmmm...almost 20 schools! AMCAS verified in late june...have 3 interviews so far:

university of michigan
university of chicago
georgetown university

i'll keep y'all posted! :)

Submitted AMCAS and still processing..

Drexel
Harvard
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Mount Sinai
SUNY -Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate, Stonybrook
Temple
UMDNJ -Robert Wood Johnson
UMaryland
UPitt
UPenn
Columbia
George Washington
NYMC

If you don't mind posting your stats I will go first

MCAT 23P
7V
9P
7B
EP

Science GPA 3.78
Overall GPA 3.64

medhacker said:
If you don't mind posting your stats I will go first

MCAT 23P
7V
9P
7B
EP

Science GPA 3.78
Overall GPA 3.64

not to flame but if you get in anywhere with those stats there is something wrong with this process

dbth77 said:
not to flame but if you get in anywhere with those stats there is something wrong with this process

I don't think the system is wrong, I think it has to do more with how some people say "it is not only a numbers game" - I applied with these numbers to 2 schools on 2002 got accepted to both had to rescind the acceptance for I did not yet have a bachelor's degree. In fact I invite you to visit mdapplicants.com, according to this anecdotal application stats site the following is obtained when you perform a search of any accepted applicant to any medicalschool with similar stats:
"96 results in set, 22.6 average MCAT, 3.52 average GPA. Search took 1.69 seconds."

Now, what are everyone else's stas? anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
The best of luck to all of you with your medical school applications. I'm an African American male with parentage from the Caribbean: Jamaica & Guyana (Yes I will be considering the offshore medical school options! ;) ) I'll be applying to medical schools a while from now. I guess I'll dig up this post when I do my application process. But again I would like to wish you guys the best with entry into medical school. I truly admire your determination and embarking on a path to become a physician. My hat goes off to you guys. :)

I hope that this doesn't denigrate into a AA flame war. But it will.

Anyways, good luck guys. I encourage you to consider the SUNYs, who seem to make a concerted effort to diverisify their classes.

dc

researchhater said:
umm I think you are doing biased research what about these nonurms??

Uhhh, I was specifically looking for applicants with WORSE stats than he had. Did you have two scoops of "duh" this morning?

Seriously guys, let's just not do the URM flame war thing. Everyone knows (hopefully) both sides of the argument, and anything you are going to say has already been said plenty of times before. People of the world, Unite.

willthatsall said:
Seriously guys, let's just not do the URM flame war thing. Everyone knows (hopefully) both sides of the argument, and anything you are going to say has already been said plenty of times before. People of the world, Unite.

I agree with the above quoted. There is no need to go there. And anyhow, I wanted to add that mdapps means bull unless you can put the user to the file, because many of them consist of liars trying to start bull with you.

So don't put too much stock into that.

Oh and BTW, the one profile where someone got accepted to Howard........... well for that school, those starts were not low. I may be wrong about this, but someone once told me that 24 was their average MCAT score, so that means some got lower or higher then the average. Hence, those numbers aren't terribly too far off.

Besides, Howard is an HBCU historically built for african americans, so it would make sense they would accept URMs even if the stats are slightly lower.

gujuDoc said:
I agree with the above quoted. There is no need to go there. And anyhow, I wanted to add that mdapps means bull unless you can put the user to the file, because many of them consist of liars trying to start bull with you.

So don't put too much stock into that.

Oh and BTW, the one profile where someone got accepted to Howard........... well for that school, those starts were not low. I may be wrong about this, but someone once told me that 24 was their average MCAT score, so that means some got lower or higher then the average. Hence, those numbers aren't terribly too far off.

Besides, Howard is an HBCU historically built for african americans, so it would make sense they would accept URMs even if the stats are slightly lower.

You're right about those profiles with crazy low stats. I think some of those are made up by the same people who start the URM bashing threads. I mean, these are the facts: If you are URM, you can get by with slightly lower stats. But that doesn't mean that there aren't URMs with great stats and it doesn't mean that the URMs being admitted to med schools won't excel and be great doctors.

dbth77 said:

Here we go.... :rolleyes:

blessed1 said:
Here we go.... :rolleyes:

Don't be bothered blessed1. :) I've learned that people will always say or imply something negative. I personally have learned to ignore ALL the negative energy that comes my way. If the comments aren't constructive then it should have no bearing in one's life whatsoever.

Aligning myself with the positive and not entertaining or getting emotionally involved with negativity has worked out for the better. Having friends, significant others and/or family that generally care for your success and aspirations should only really matter at the end of the day. :)

medhacker said:
I don't think the system is wrong, I think it has to do more with how some people say "it is not only a numbers game" - I applied with these numbers to 2 schools on 2002 got accepted to both had to rescind the acceptance for I did not yet have a bachelor's degree. In fact I invite you to visit mdapplicants.com, according to this anecdotal application stats site the following is obtained when you perform a search of any accepted applicant to any medicalschool with similar stats:
"96 results in set, 22.6 average MCAT, 3.52 average GPA. Search took 1.69 seconds."

Now, what are everyone else's stas? anyone?

Linda la foto :barf:

krazymackbk said:
The best of luck to all of you with your medical school applications. I'm an African American male with parentage from the Caribbean: Jamaica & Guyana (Yes I will be considering the offshore medical school options! ;) ) I'll be applying to medical schools a while from now. I guess I'll dig up this post when I do my application process. But again I would like to wish you guys the best with entry into medical school. I truly admire your determination and embarking on a path to become a physician. My hat goes off to you guys. :)

Hi krazymackbk, stay in touch with your own progress, "today we help you, tomorrow it might be you helping us". Best wishes! :thumbup:

willthatsall said:
You're right about those profiles with crazy low stats. I think some of those are made up by the same people who start the URM bashing threads. I mean, these are the facts: If you are URM, you can get by with slightly lower stats. But that doesn't mean that there aren't URMs with great stats and it doesn't mean that the URMs being admitted to med schools won't excel and be great doctors.

The AVERAGE black matriculant only has about a 24.5 MCAT, so I'm not sure why you think you can write off those profiles so easily. Also, Asian/white average matriculant is ~30.5 MCAT. If you think 6 points difference is a "little lower stats," I truly question you ever got the MCAT score you claim you did.

Zuras said:
The AVERAGE black matriculant only has about a 24.5 MCAT, so I'm not sure why you think you can write off those profiles so easily. Also, Asian/white average matriculant is ~30.5 MCAT. If you think 6 points difference is a "little lower stats," I truly question you ever got the MCAT score you claim you did.

Is that AAMC data or MD apps data?

willthatsall said:
Is that AAMC data or MD apps data?

AAMC. The real scary thing is that Puerto Ricans average MCAT for matriculants is even lower yet, a pathetic 23. Despite their joke scores, over HALF of the Puerto Ricans that took the exam matriculated into medical school. That's disgusting.

Zuras said:
AAMC. The real scary thing is that Puerto Ricans average MCAT for matriculants is even lower yet, a pathetic 23. Despite their joke scores, over HALF of the Puerto Ricans that took the exam matriculated into medical school. That's disgusting.

Hmmm I remember it being 25.4. Do you have the to AAMC website for those who entered for the class of 2009??

researchhater said:
Hmmm I remember it being 25.4. Do you have the to AAMC website for those who entered for the class of 2009??

Those were 2003 stats, actually. I just noticed that although they don't have a link, you can just change the address to "2004" and get those states. And yes, the score there is actually 25.3. decrease the total difference about half a point. Still, 5.5 points is huge.

Zuras said:
Those were 2003 stats, actually. I just noticed that although they don't have a link, you can just change the address to "2004" and get those states. And yes, the score there is actually 25.3.

So i guess 2005 is not out yet

researchhater said:
So i guess 2005 is not out yet

in my opinion the difference between 25 and 30 when broken down is not that big 9 8 8 vs 10 10 10. And an average is always that "an average". It means that some are above it and some are below and, since URMs are such a small portion of the applicants their average is more skewed. Also those numbers are not adjusted for things like socioeconomic factors. Overall I think we white people need to leave this thread since it was designed for URMS :)

researchhater said:
in my opinion the difference between 25 and 30 when broken down is not that big 9 8 8 vs 10 10 10. And an average is always that "an average". It means that some are above it and some are below and, since URMs are such a small portion of the applicants their average is more skewed. Also those numbers are not adjusted for things like socioeconomic factors. Overall I think we white people need to leave this thread since it was designed for URMS :)

When they control for SES, poor whites kick the living crap out of the other groups, including Asians. It's the dirty little secret reason they don't want to move to embrace a socioeconomic based AA. Whites just do too well when the odds are even.

Zuras said:
When they control for SES, poor whites kick the living crap out of the other groups, including Asians. It's the dirty little secret reason they don't want to move to embrace a socioeconomic based AA. Whites just do too well when the odds are even.

Link? I will be interested in reading it.

IgweEmeka said:
Alright man, you have proven your point. Thanks for enlightening us. Now run along and find another URM thread to conquer.

lol SDN should be changed to SDN for whites and asians only... I don't think any URM thread has lasted without people like zuras coming in :)

researchhater said:
lol SDN should be changed to SDN for whites and asians only... I don't think any URM thread has lasted without people like zuras coming in :)

Funny comment, coming from someone with only 0-10 posts.

Zuras said:
Funny comment, coming from someone with only 0-10 posts.

what makes you think i did not post here before??

researchhater said:
The consideration of race and ethnicity in medical school
admissions has not, as some critics suggest, led to a less
competent physician workforce. The vast majority of minority
medical students graduate from medical school and go on to
pass their license examinations. straight frm website

Zuras said:

Scary? when was the last time you knew of a puerto rican physician being sued for malpractice?

Disgusting? You need the love of Jesus, now stop being a troll, get off this thread and I really hope no one else responds to you, we need the space to discuss URM issues.

medhacker said:
Scary? when was the last time you knew of a puerto rican physician being sued for malpractice?

Disgusting? You need the love of Jesus, now stop being a troll, get off this thread and I really hope no one else responds to you, we need the space to discuss URM issues.

I'm sorry Medhacker but the picture you have makes me want to throw up. Don't want to get political here, but.....

researchhater said:

Brilliant, Watson.

Zuras said:
Brilliant, Watson.
Not that you’ve ever interacted with minorities before, but I’ll ask this question just for ****s and giggles:

Have you ever spoken with someone from Puerto Rico about the MCAT?

Did you know all their classes are in Spanish but their MCAT is in English? I know I could not imagine having to do well on the verbal section if it was randomly in French or some other language. This would account for the slightly lower scores. Also, the only thing that I feel is disgusting is the fact that a$$holes like you are trying to become physicians. All data seems to suggest that minority doctors are just as good as non-minority doctors. If it was not beneficial to recruit physicians of all ethnic backgrounds, ADCOMS would not do it. Since the end goal of training clinicians is to serve the population, it stands to reason that people of all backgrounds are needed. Besides many URM do very well on the MCAT and have very high GPAs.

In short: Please F*ck off

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Not that you’ve ever interacted with minorities before, but I’ll ask this question just for ****s and giggles:

Have you ever spoken with someone from Puerto Rico about the MCAT?

Did you know all their classes are in Spanish but their MCAT is in English? .

Uhh. My ex-fiancee was Puerto Rican, only coming to the US for college. Her English was just fine.

I am a URM and I did well. At least 6 or 7 points higher than that average that was quoted. So please don't stereotype all URMs.

Please stop, everyone. This was supposed to be a thread for people to support each other.

Zuras said:
Uhh. My ex-fiancee was Puerto Rican, only coming to the US for college. Her English was just fine.
your ex-fiancee..gee I wonder why?

Anyway, your ex-fiancee is not the only Puerto Rican who takes the MCAT. When those AAMC stats are recorded, they count all Puerto Ricans, you know like the ones who are still living in Puerto Rico and speak Spanish during their every day lives. There were quite a few people in my internship from PR and a few were studying for the MCAT. They told me how much of a problem it was that the MCAT is not offered in Spanish. The point is, you have no idea what people's circumstances are so you have no right to judge