any ageism in OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfox1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

so, i'm 26 and considering a career change to OT but i'm a bit concerned because I will be 29/30 by the time I graduate from the program (if all goes well). Will this be a problem? I know some industries would not be willing to hire a 30 year-old for an entry-level job, so i'm wondering if OT is any different.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not. If anything, I imagine there would be reverse ageism. Maturity is a great quality in a therapist. Plus 30 is not very old at all.

Students in my program range from 22 to 55 and I'm right at the median age. I don't think there is any ageism and agree with MarkZR that age and experience make for a better therapist. OT is a great career for those of us looking for an "Act II" in life because everything we bring from our previous life experiences strengthens our ability to understand our patient's needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply and go for it....I'll be 28 when I graduate....and I know a women who is applying to OT school and she is 46. I say GO FOR IT!!!

I'm also nervous! I'm applying this year and I am 26. One of the programs that I was currently accepted to is a full time two year program (which is very ideal - it's one of the shortest I've found) and the other is a three year weekend program. I am still a bit nervous about being older than most of my classmates, but they way I see it, is that we still have a good 30++ years to be in the work world. I currently work as a tech with OT's and PT's who love what they do. It's never too late to make the switch to doing something that you know is going to help people and that you are going to love doing it :)

As far as ageism within the workplace, I've talked to the OT's that I work with, and they feel that it is not going to be even close to a factor when it comes time to look for jobs!

Basically...Go for it and Good luck!!! :)

I'm in a 3-year weekend program that is designed for adult learners. All of us have graduated college as a COTA or with a bachelor's degree already and most of us have work experience. Also, the majority of the students in my class are 25-50+, so you are never really too old to start OT, because this is such a diverse and unique field. You will be fine.

LOL @prodigiousflame I was just thinking the same thing. I will be 29 when my program starts and in my 30s upon graduating. It is never too late to pursue a fulfilling career. And I speak from experience. I've spent the last 7 years in a miserable, unhappy career and while it does set me back a bit (with children etc.) I will get to spend the next 30 years of my life working in a super fulfilling field with the greatest potential for so many things.

Speaking to ageism, I was told by the last therapist that I observed under that she would hire me in a second out of school because I was older, more mature, and had a wealth of real world experience under my belt. Apparently she was having trouble setting expectation in the younger graduates with regards to work schedule and other items. So if anyone tells you that you are too old to be doing this, tell them to shut it :)