Any Bio prep with experimental passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SysBio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any prep material have passages from actual scientific literature?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Theres a good thread that points out that the Bio sections have had a lot of passage/experimental based questions
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=649992

So...Does any prep material have passages from actual scientific literature?

(I always thought EK1001 was the "best" Bio prep out there, but now I am hearing that it is pretty straight forward and just to be used to learn the concepts)

If my memory serves me correctly, TPR hyperlearning had passages that were essentially abridged experiments that referenced actual studies. The Official AAMC book has a few of these as well.

EK is still worth your time. I took the 7/2 test and there were a few questions that required rote memorization.

TPR hyperlearning is the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Science Workbook that is NOT sold in bookstores.. the Science Workbook is one of the books that is part of the PR course, so your best bet in getting those would be craigslist, SDN, or ebay

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks...I actually have the TPR science workbook b/c my brother took their course a few years ago....it doesn't say anything about "hyperlearning" on the cover so I was wondering if it was the same thing

Thanks for the reply...

Is "TPR hyperlearning" the same thing as TPR science workbook?

And by the "AAMC book" are you referring to the AAMC practice tests?

No, I was referring to the new book sold on the AAMC website. There is a thread somewhere on here about it. I purchased it and highly recommend it. The Bio passages are harder than the CBTs and almost exclusively experiment based. I thought the passages were actually a little harder than the real deal, but beneficial in that they get you to think in terms of experimental outcomes, variable adjustments, graph analysis etc., a' la TBR & TPR bio.

No, I was referring to the new book sold on the AAMC website. There is a thread somewhere on here about it. I purchased it and highly recommend it. The Bio passages are harder than the CBTs and almost exclusively experiment based. I thought the passages were actually a little harder than the real deal, but beneficial in that they get you to think in terms of experimental outcomes, variable adjustments, graph analysis etc., a' la TBR & TPR bio.

Wow thanks a lot for making me aware of that book...the extra passages sound really valuable.

I think I will buy it regardless, but can you describe how much of the book is practice material and how much is "mcat info"?

Wow thanks a lot for making me aware of that book...the extra passages sound really valuable.

I think I will buy it regardless, but can you describe how much of the book is practice material and how much is "mcat info"?

The book has something like 10 PS passages (G-chem+physics) along with a few discretes, and about 10 BS (O-chem+Bio) and discretes, and I think 6 VR passages. I'm on vacation right now, so don't have the book in front of me or I would give you exact numbers.

When I was preparing I was taking a full length every other day, and I just counted all of the material in the book as a full length. If I had to do it again, I would have split the book up into 2 separate days because their is just too much material for one sitting, and the passages are pretty dense.

AAMC should still be running the promotion for that book. When I bought it, I just payed $45 and they throw in a CBT of your choice for free. I think I got AAMC 10 and the book for $45.

Aside from the passages there is some "fluff" but some of it is actually interesting to read if you like looking at matriculant data and salivating about how one day you will be in medical school:cool:

The book has something like 10 PS passages (G-chem+physics) along with a few discretes, and about 10 BS (O-chem+Bio) and discretes, and I think 6 VR passages. I'm on vacation right now, so don't have the book in front of me or I would give you exact numbers.

When I was preparing I was taking a full length every other day, and I just counted all of the material in the book as a full length. If I had to do it again, I would have split the book up into 2 separate days because their is just too much material for one sitting, and the passages are pretty dense.

AAMC should still be running the promotion for that book. When I bought it, I just payed $45 and they throw in a CBT of your choice for free. I think I got AAMC 10 and the book for $45.

Aside from the passages there is some "fluff" but some of it is actually interesting to read if you like looking at matriculant data and salivating about how one day you will be in medical school:cool:

I just ordered it...thanks

Last edited: