Help me decide where to apply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bikes&bones

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1: resident
2: MCAT unknown (test is jun 26)
3: GPA: BCPM: 3.67 C: 3.78ish non: 4.0
4: high clinical hrs (2000hrs hospital CNA/clinic/ first response)
5: high research hrs(1500 hrs)

Planning to submit to some schools early on, then the rest after MCAT (also helps stagger secondaries). Would love recommendations on some to submit first. I don’t like super big cities (Omaha is about my max) and I’m into being outdoors. I want to do ortho/PM&R.
 
Last edited:
1: Nebraska resident
2: MCAT unknown (test is jun 26) (I’m guessing 508-513 ish)
3: GPA: BCPM: 3.67 C: 3.78ish non: 4.0
4: high clinical hrs (2000hrs hospital CNA/clinic/ first response)
5: high research hrs(1500 hrs)

Planning to submit to some schools early on, then the rest after MCAT (also helps stagger secondaries). Would love recommendations on some to submit first. I don’t like super big cities (Omaha is about my max) and I’m into being outdoors. I want to do ortho/PM&R.
Check the OOS stats for other public schools, but you might as well try the programs in and around your state. No real list until we see an MCAT score.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a pretty rough MCAT day, got a 504, fairly even across.
For MD schools you could try Nebraska and some of the newer schools such as Alice Walton, Roseman, Belmont and Methodist. You are competitive for most DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
 
1: Nebraska resident
2: MCAT unknown (test is jun 26) (I’m guessing 508-513 ish)
3: GPA: BCPM: 3.67 C: 3.78ish non: 4.0
4: high clinical hrs (2000hrs hospital CNA/clinic/ first response)
5: high research hrs(1500 hrs)

Planning to submit to some schools early on, then the rest after MCAT (also helps stagger secondaries). Would love recommendations on some to submit first. I don’t like super big cities (Omaha is about my max) and I’m into being outdoors. I want to do ortho/PM&R.
Whoa these sounds like amazing stats I am actually I rising Undergraduate student and am trying to find research opportunities to stick with for my college years along with clinical hours what would you say are the best ways to get those experencies!
 
Whoa these sounds like amazing stats I am actually I rising Undergraduate student and am trying to find research opportunities to stick with for my college years along with clinical hours what would you say are the best ways to get those experencies!
Read

 
Whoa these sounds like amazing stats I am actually I rising Undergraduate student and am trying to find research opportunities to stick with for my college years along with clinical hours what would you say are the best ways to get those experencies!
It does often depend on the university. The way I did it to my liking was searching through departments. So, I would look into departments you are interested in. For example, I’m a biology major but a lot of the research in the biology department is with flies and viruses where I go and that is not exactly my cup of tea. So I looked more on the nutrition, exercise science, and health side by looking through labs associated with the departments. I then contacted the PI (normal interest, CV, and then interview stuff). I started as a volunteer, got a spot on a grant and then later got a fellowship from the university ( I have chosen to stay in the same lab year-round for my undergrad). I personally like this way, but there are many research programs I would investigate at your school and then even if you prefer summer (several med schools offer SURP or something like it).