WalterDandy

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Hello all,

Just wondered if there were any Brits/IMGs around who are taking the test soon? I'm 3 weeks out and its definitely brown trousers time. Definitely not helping that med school finals are just around the corner so its like studying for step 1 and step 2 CK at the same time. I'm not sure I can fit all this stuff in my head! Decent memorisation techniques, anyone? I'd quite like to get a USB port for my brain so I can upload scans of my notes but apparently they dont exist yet (the USB ports that is, not my notes...)

Just wondered if there was anyone in the same boat? Good luck to everyone currently suffering study hell btw, whichever side of the Atlantic you may be on! ;)

hj0517

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Nope, you aren't alone buddy!

OP
W

WalterDandy

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Nice one! Not long for me now (<3 weeks :eek:) so I'm now at that depressing stage where I've got my own notes on all (well, most) of the things I should have but I'm now trying to get it all into my head somehow. Any suggestions? I'm really struggling to get some of this stuff to stay in my head!

hj0517

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
You mentioned you're doing finals as well right? Good luck mate! I'm only in my first year of clinical rotations (4th year out of 6) In terms of retaining facts I think there is value in doing questions, so maybe a Qbank if you have time, if not i've found that things like biochem and pharm only stay in the old brain from roughly 3 days or so! So maybe cram that kind of stuff towards the end of the exam?

I'm taking mine in August and I'm trying to follow Taus' plan of annotating and doing questions, let me know how you get on though! Best of luck once again.

hj0517

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
can I just ask how hard was it for you to book a date and how far in advance did you book it? I'm assuming you're taking it in London is that right?

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 13, 2002
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
same boat as you. I am taking Step 1 in two weeks, Step 2 CK/CS in Sept/Oct. And applying for the '09 Match. Life, sucks right now...but hanging in there :)
And I am doing it in London; Step 1 June 9th.

good luck!

OP
W

WalterDandy

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status
Good luck to you both!

I'm about a third of the way through USMLE World which I'm actually finding pretty useful having been through everything once so I'm at that weird stage where I know which things I'm supposed to know without actually knowing them (if that makes any kind of sense?)

Its really killing me keeping up with the clinical stuff too but I'm hoping that a bit of hardship now will pay off for written finals and then Step 2 should be a piece of the proverbial! ...(yeah, right!)

Life too currently blows major league chunks but the end is in sight at least. Test in a fortnight (I put in for the test jsut after Xmas, btw). Bring it on! (or more acurately - :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!)