Any Burmese Premeds: Give A Holler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostLost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not Burmese, but I just wanted to know if whether Burma is interchangeable with Myanmar. If so, which one is more popular to use for colloquial purposes? What do the natives use? It's been bugging me forever.

i usually call it Burma because its a more romantic name with lots of history... Myanmar is more political because it is suppose to encompass all the ethnicities in Burma not just the Burmese. I guess it doesn't really matter...

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt know burma was still a country.

is rhodesia more romantic than zimbabwe or is that one still a no-no?

Burma is the racist, white, imperialist term for Myanmar. Thank god the thought police haven't been able to jump on the use of this term yet.

I'm Burmese and applying to medical school this year! yeaahhh!

Burma is the racist, white, imperialist term for Myanmar. Thank god the thought police haven't been able to jump on the use of this term yet.

thats not really true... the name goes back further than the British colonial rule....

haha thanks... my geography is pretty up to date. i was referring to the un-P.C.title. Bush made the same faux-pas in a recent address i believe.

I was born in Burma and moved here when I was six.

Doesn't it suck that we can't claim URM?