Can anyone give me some thoughts and advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralphyxz

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm feeling pretty defeated. I am currently in nursing school, and 2 months away from graduating with my associates degree in nursing. Prior to nursing school, I had no direction in my life. Was just being a bum working odd jobs here and there. I'm 28 now and realized that I wanted to do medicine after being exposed to the clinical environment. Patient care is something I eventually learned to love, and honestly can't imagine myself doing anything else. I worked so hard in my program and honestly love learning. Current GPA Is around 3.8. Then I came to realize that my school was only nationally accredited and not regionally accredited. Didn't really know the difference till I looked it up. Since my school isn't regionally accredited I can not transfer credit hours to other schools in order to complete a bridge program to get my Bachelor's (BSN). I know that med schools typically only accept degrees from regionally accredited institutions?

According to people who graduated from my school, they mentioned that the school WGU (Western Governors University) accepts my school's degree. And based on some research, it appears to be a regionally accredited school and also accredited by the CCNE (Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education).I know that I still have to take my pre-req classes and I plan to do that over at a community college as soon as I get a BSN. Any thoughts? Would I still get a shot in going to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You can’t transfer those credits to any bachelors program in the United States? Something sounds off….

Reactions: 1 users
WGU is an online university; that will not help you get into medical school. Talk to the advisors at your school about whether it is possible to continue your education at one of your state schools (that’s usually not a problem if you attended a community college).

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WGU is an online university; that will not help you get into medical school. Talk to the advisors at your school about whether it is possible to continue your education at one of your state schools (that’s usually not a problem if you attended a community college).
Agreed- you just have to work backwards and see which in person university will allow you to transfer the credits. There has to be one.. you can even use university of phoenix credits to transfer to a 4 year college. Something doesn't add up. I'd keep calling around and asking

Sad to say there are predatory diploma mills who issue worthless degrees including nursing. You may have a sunk cost here and may just need to start over at an accredited institution.

Talk to someone in medical school admissions and let their team do some of your homework about your credits.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Sad to say there are predatory diploma mills who issue worthless degrees including nursing. You may have a sunk cost here and may just need to start over at an accredited institution.

Talk to someone in medical school admissions and let their team do some of your homework about your credits.
If that's the case you're still ok. I'm 33 and starting the process now. Don't be discouraged!

Reactions: 1 user
You may have a sunk cost here and may just need to start over at an accredited institution.
This is the confusing piece. OP states their school is nationally accredited (presumably through the CCNE or ACEN), but credits won't transfer because it's not regionally accredited. On its face, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

This is the confusing piece. OP states their school is nationally accredited (presumably through the CCNE or ACEN), but credits won't transfer because it's not regionally accredited. On its face, this doesn't make a lot of sense.
A lot of regionally accredited schools don't take nationally accredited school credits. It's been a specific notation on the registrar's site at every uni I've gone to (2 state unis and 1 state college).

A lot of regionally accredited schools don't take nationally accredited school credits. It's been a specific notation on the registrar's site at every uni I've gone to (2 state unis and 1 state college).
My sticking point is the idea that zero BSN programs (other than WGU) will accept transfer credits from a nationally accredited nursing school. A 15 second search yesterday turned up at least one that will accept credits from "any accredited college or university." For others it seems like they would need to review the proposed transfer credits for equivalency, but that's different than an automatic "no."

If you want to be a nurse, find a school that will accept your credits.
Nursing classes are not usually considered BCPM for medical school.
If you want to go to medical school you will need to "start over" anyway.

Reactions: 3 users