Any business majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waspoppen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
pretty much title. Yes, I know that one's major doesn't matter, and doing well is more important. Honestly, I just think it's a better backup plan than a bio/biochem degree, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. If I switch to business, I could comfortably hit all the prereqs while learning some financial literacy on the side.

Is anyone on here a business/accounting/finance major? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

pretty much title. Yes, I know that one's major doesn't matter, and doing well is more important. Honestly, I just think it's a better backup plan than a bio/biochem degree, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. If I switch to business, I could comfortably hit all the prereqs while learning some financial literacy on the side.

so my first undergrad and masters was in business, and while it was ok, i realized that i did not want to do it for the rest of my life, and wanted to go to medical school. Everyone told me id never get in, so i wanted a backup plan - something i would actually love doing. So i went back to school to get a degree in biochemistry, because i knew i would love doing that if medicine didnt work out.
So, in my case biochem degree WAS a better backup plan than business. But its up to you, - it definitely depends on your interests and goals, you know?

I'm not a business major (sorry), but my major is completely unrelated to medicine (think Public Administration/Political Science). I knew that if I didn't get into med school, I would want to work at a nonprofit or do grassroots organizational work instead of working in a lab. I decided my major sophomore year and have had to take some credit hour heavy semesters to balance both the prereqs and the major. Zero regrets. My major classes are such a great break from my prereqs, and I genuinely love what I learn across the board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accounting major here. It's an excellent backup or gap year job; lots of demand even in the pandemic. Although it's been a couple of years since I last worked as an accountant, I could easily get another accounting job.

If possible, consider double majoring in biology and accounting, if it wouldn't extend your time in undergrad.

Hey there! My undergrad is in engineering, but I took a lot of business classes as well. All I have as far as BCPM are the bare minimums for most medical schools (16 chemistry, 8 biology, etc.) and I still performed well on my MCAT and got 3 acceptances this cycle so far (2 DO and 1 MD).

You should study something you enjoy and that you will do well in while also taking prereqs. As someone who had to recover from a low GPA (engineering wasn't really my thing) I can say it is not a fun experience. You will avoid a lot of stress during the application cycle if you're not constantly trying to justify a lower-than-average GPA. Also, I think there's something to be said for having the main classes in your major being in topics that come naturally to you, so you can focus on your science classes.

I hope that makes sense...let me know if you have more questions or want more details.

Not a business major but work in business currently. I think it’s a smart idea to have a major or at least a minor in something that is slightly more marketable than a typical biology degree. I have a bio degree and it certainly didn’t do me many favors while looking for employment.

This is what I wanted to do, but the business school at my institution doesn't allow their undergrads to double major

That's unfortunate. Can you unofficially double major? Take all of the biology major courses without declaring biology as a second major.

If you can hit all the prereqs, go for it. There were a handful of business majors and those who had previous experience in the business world in my medical school. If you feel like that is your backup plan should things not go well application time, make sure it's a backup you would enjoy.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I double majored in finance and another non-science field and still managed to complete all my prereqs.

Only advice I’d give you is to be really diligent with every science class you take since your SGPA is very susceptible to large fluctuations because you take less BCPM courses.

I double majored in finance and another non-science field and still managed to complete all my prereqs.

Any advice as to finance specifically? It really interests me
I plan to take more science courses than just the prereqs; I have enough AP/dual credit from high school for econ/gov/history so that taking 1-2 BCPM courses each semester is doable

I plan to take more science courses than just the prereqs; I have enough AP/dual credit from high school for econ/gov/history so that taking 1-2 BCPM courses each semester is doable

As far as the subject matter, there's a pretty big focus on accounting and statistics. Personally, I'm happy I took finance since I feel I gained more practical knowledge I can use in the future.

I would definitely take extra science courses like you said. I did that, but even then your SGPA is pretty unstable compared to a science major, since literally almost every course they take is BCPM.

Reactions: 1 user

Unless you attend an ivy or top school, you’ll probably only be able to get an insurance or sales job with a finance degree. That might not be a negative, but it’s worth knowing beforehand.

Edit: my finance degree had very little accounting or statistics involved. I felt like I could’ve learned my entire major from investopedia.com.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I switched from Comp Eng to Business because I felt like it was a better use of my people skills coupled with my technical background.

I'm not sure what you're looking for when you mean financial literacy--but I still use double sided accounting like a madman for some of my personal accounting (because the online budgeting site I use now wasn't around then).

I can tell you that my business background has tremendously helped in my different career choices. The most concrete/applicable classes I benefited the most from were the business communication classes where writing effective e-mails got ingrained. While business writing is a different style, being succinct helped me out in my master's program where I honed my writing a bit more.

Some other benefits that I can't necessarily pinpoint where I learned:
  1. Improved presentations (this might be on you to learn, but the opportunity for practice was prevalent in my program).
  2. Marketing skills - understanding your target market / audience; can support the skill of "reading the room"
  3. Organizing information like in bullet points (so it can be easily read in something like a forum post--heh)
  4. Conflict management - I only remember having a roleplay example, but I'm sure some of the points stuck
And I'm sure there's much more.

You'll get out of it what you put in. If you think you'll enjoy it and can knock out your pre-reqs, then why not?!? As a much older non-trad switching into medicine, I've taken the least direct path--but I look at every past experience as something that has led me to who I am and where I am now. But in the end, as other's have previously said--find something that you'll enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users