any Canadian clinical psychologists around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new here and I'm starting my M.A in School and Child Clinical Psychology at a university in Toronto this September.

I would be interested in hearing what I have to look forward to (or dread!) in the upcoming 2 years, and 4 years after that with my PhD.

I am an immigrant from South Africa and did my undergraduate there, so Canadian academia is a foreign land to me. But at least it doesn't look as confusing as the U.S with so many schools to chose from with different specializations costing lots of $$$$!

maya

Members don't see this ad.

Hi maya
I'm not in a clinical psychology program but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth.
I am a Canadian student with an MSc (in neuroscience) looking to do my PsyD in the states. What I can say is that UofT is a really good school at the graduate level (I did both undergrad and grad school there) and people are really friendly. I suggest contacting your program, or UofT itself (the website is pretty useful), and asking if there is an International Student's group or if it is possible to meet older students (or get there emails) from your program. Further, if you are doing research, your experience in the program will depend largely on your supervisor...so talk to other students in your future lab. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks Eugi :) I'm actually meeting with a second year student in my program on Monday and with my supervisor later in the week to go over my course selection.

Good luck with your applications in the USA. There is so much to choose from down there. I could only apply in Toronto because of my husband's job - so I was really luck to be accepted.