Any Canadian (Ontario) premeds on here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amandeep

Having MCAT nightmares!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm relatively new to SDN and I was wondering are there any Canadian folk from Ontario on this board? Or is this just mainly a board for American premeds to meet up?

I'm going to be applying to Ontario medical schools through OMSAS this October and I'm also taking the MCAT this August. I was just wondering if there is anyone in the same boat as me?

Hope somebody is!

Amandeep

Members don't see this ad.

Amandeep said:
Hey,

I'm relatively new to SDN and I was wondering are there any Canadian folk from Ontario on this board? Or is this just mainly a board for American premeds to meet up?

I'm going to be applying to Ontario medical schools through OMSAS this October and I'm also taking the MCAT this August. I was just wondering if there is anyone in the same boat as me?

Hope somebody is!

Amandeep

I am from British Columbia and am writing the MCAT in August :)

Cool, BC! Will you be applying to any Ontario schools? How many med schools are there in British Columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Amandeep said:
Cool, BC! Will you be applying to any Ontario schools? How many med schools are there in British Columbia?

Yes. I am applying to all six with a preference on University of Toronto. I am applying to McMaster just for 'kicks' as I've heard men have a very hard time in getting in there.

Can you give me some information about McMaster and why men have a hard time getting in there?

In answer to your question there is one medical school in BC.

Amandeep said:
Hey,

Hope somebody is!

Amandeep
I applied to 2 Ontario schools via OMSAS last year (McMaster and Toronto; I received an interview only at the latter). I found it to be a lot more painful, but less expensive, when compared to AMCAS. I am neither a Canadian nor U.S. citizen.

I remember attending a medical symposium where a representative of McMaster reviewed the statistics of an entering class. There was something like 70% female and 30% male who were admitted. Somebody in the audience asked why the female:male ratio was so high and the rep said that they didn't know why...its just the way things turned out.

It seems to me that the ideal characteristics that they look for in a candidate such as ability to problem-solve, independent self-directed learning is found in many female candidates. Not to say that males don't possess such qualities....but I'm sure that McMaster does not discriminate against men.

Scottish Chap said:
I applied to 2 Ontario schools via OMSAS last year (McMaster and Toronto; I received an interview only at the latter). I found it to be a lot more painful, but less expensive, when compared to AMCAS. I am neither a Canadian nor U.S. citizen.

How did the interview go at UofT? That's really good that you got an interview invit considering that you're not a north american citizen. way to go! :D

Amandeep said:
It seems to me that the ideal characteristics that they look for in a candidate such as ability to problem-solve, independent self-directed learning is found in many female candidates. Not to say that males don't possess such qualities....but I'm sure that McMaster does not discriminate against men.

I'm not sure what to believe to be honest with you. I don't want to go to the interview at McMaster and have a bias in my head and act differently because of it.

However, I must say I am skeptical of this school very much....

Masamune4567 said:
I'm not sure what to believe to be honest with you. I don't want to go to the interview at McMaster and have a bias in my head and act differently because of it.

However, I must say I am skeptical of this school very much....

I think McMaster is a unique school that offers an innovative and new way of learning medicine. McMaster even has its own TV show about medical students called "Med Students". The school is completely legit...if that's what's making you skeptical.

Amandeep said:
I think McMaster is a unique school that offers an innovative and new way of learning medicine. McMaster even has its own TV show about medical students called "Med Students". The school is completely legit...if that's what's making you skeptical.

From what I can see of rankings of Canadian medical schools, McMaster is among the lowest every time I read them. Toronto is always #1 followed by McGill, which I am also applying to when the time comes.

I am very skeptical about McMaster's teaching stratgey and am told by a family friend who is a cardiac surgeon that applications from McMaster who apply to cardiac surgery residency are laughed at :laugh:

Mac is an interesting school. They try to feed people this line about unique PBL etc...
I personally don't believe it much any more. I will not be applying to Mac this year.

Just as a note. I think mac prefers Ontario residents. Whereas UofT doesn't have any preferences.

Also regarding the 70:30 ratio. True they say that is how the numbers go. But I also read about the estrogen tower at Mac!!! Don't know how true it really is. I do find it interesting that even though the applicants are more or less 50/50.. and results at most medical schools in english canada are 50/50 +-5% there is still such a big gap in the results at Mac.

Masamune4567 said:
I am from British Columbia and am writing the MCAT in August :)

Masa, you are first year.. going into second and your a writing the MCAT in August. Wow.. someone is overly motivated to get this thing going.

I am guessing that you will be applying after second year.

My only recommendation is finish your BSc or BA. Cause my assumption is that you are 18 or 19 years old and will prob benefit from an extra year with little stress and responsibility.

docbill said:
Mac is an interesting school. They try to feed people this line about unique PBL etc...
I personally don't believe it much any more. I will not be applying to Mac this year.

Just as a note. I think mac prefers Ontario residents. Whereas UofT doesn't have any preferences.

Also regarding the 70:30 ratio. True they say that is how the numbers go. But I also read about the estrogen tower at Mac!!! Don't know how true it really is. I do find it interesting that even though the applicants are more or less 50/50.. and results at most medical schools in english canada are 50/50 +-5% there is still such a big gap in the results at Mac.

I believe McMaster is a feministic school personally. I honestly believe the men who get accepted are 'token' men, who are purposely inferior candidates to females to make the women look smarter. I am only applying there because if I'm applying to the other 5 schools I might as well apply there too I guess?

What do you mean by 'estrogen tower' at McMaster? Do you mean it figuratively as in the medical school is run by feminists who don't like men?

docbill said:
Masa, you are first year.. going into second and your a writing the MCAT in August. Wow.. someone is overly motivated to get this thing going.

I am guessing that you will be applying after second year.

My only recommendation is finish your BSc or BA. Cause my assumption is that you are 18 or 19 years old and will prob benefit from an extra year with little stress and responsibility.

Yes I am finished my first year and writing the MCAT this summer. Yes I am applying after 2nd year.

I am 18 years old at the moment and would like to get into medical school at 20 yrd old :D

What are your thoughts on McMaster? Should I even waste my time/money?

Yeah,

I'm from Toronto, and I go to SUNY UB, and I'm writing my MCAT this August, applying in October (Canadian and U.S. Schools).

FlippinOut said:
Yeah,

I'm from Toronto, and I go to SUNY UB, and I'm writing my MCAT this August, applying in October (Canadian and U.S. Schools).

Hi, sorry this might seem like a silly question but what school is SUNY UB; is it in New York? Did you do your undergraduate there? Best of luck to you on your apps and the MCAT.

Amandeep said:
Hey,

Hope somebody is!

Amandeep

Hey, I'm from Toronto, just graduated with a B.Sc from YorkU. I applied last year to Mac, Toronto and Western - didnt even get an interview! So, this year, I'm applying to more Canadian schools, as well as US MD and DO schools. Good luck to you...just remember that you may be submitting your OMSAS application without knowing your MCAT scores, I know there was an option a few years ago to receive your scores a little earlier (1-2 weeks?), but you had to pay extra of course!

SUNY = State University of New York
UB = University at Buffalo

Masamune4567 said:
I believe McMaster is a feministic school personally. I honestly believe the men who get accepted are 'token' men, who are purposely inferior candidates to females to make the women look smarter. I am only applying there because if I'm applying to the other 5 schools I might as well apply there too I guess?

What do you mean by 'estrogen tower' at McMaster? Do you mean it figuratively as in the medical school is run by feminists who don't like men?

that's complete trash....

my friend just got into mac....and he's the smartest kid at our university...4.0 and 38MCAT (evne tho not required at mac)....not inferior at all to anyone

docbill, I'd be interested to here you elaborate further on a previous post you made.

I hear nothing but bad things about McMaster though. Apparently if you're not a woman don't even bother applying :D :D