Clinical experience as a Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Getting clinical experience as a Candian is challenging given our privacy laws. I have about 400 hours as a clinical research student where I talked to patients about the relevant data for the research study as well as other concerns (appointment details, messages, medication side-effects). This is my first US application cycle. Is this experience sufficient?

I have loads of shadowing I've done in a global health setting but recently found out that it doesn't necessarily count as clinical :/

Are ADCOMs (MD and DO) more understanding of Canadians given the privacy laws? If there are any Canadians on this forum, any insight is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have loads of shadowing I've done in a global health setting but recently found out that it doesn't necessarily count as clinical :/
Be more specific. What did you do?

Reach out to the American schools' admissions officers about how they review Canadian applicants when it comes to clinical experience.

Shadowed family medicine and pediatrics in Uganda this whole summer while also conducting clinical research on pediatric wait times. Was given the opportunity to scribe later on this summer (but this was after I had submitted primaries but got to rack up around 200 hours of scribing) Shadowed in a burn unit in India last summer during the rainy season (no clinical research experience in this setting)

Doing a global health master's this coming year so my experiences have catered to my passion in that field.

Should I update the schools on the scribing I did this summer?
Be more specific. What did you do?

Reach out to the American schools' admissions officers about how they review Canadian applicants when it comes to clinical experience.

Who organized your shadowing opportunities in Uganda or India? How long did you stay there?

Once you have at least 100 hours of scribing, I would update the schools on your list who have yet to reject you.

Usually you would need some health care systems experience in the United States. It's different from Canada and any other country where you have shadowed. Your application may be taken seriously by programs that would consider Canadians, but you should have at least some clinical experience in the US. You'll need to reach out to admissions staff to confirm.