Any Canadians doing residency in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qop120

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a Canadian resident, I accepted a residency position in the US, I'm just not really sure how to go about everything... they want a social security number, which I don't have because I'm a non-citizen, need visa sponsorship to get one as far as I know... Just wondering if anyone has gone through this before and can help me out with the process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends what your residency is in.

If you're getting paid you'll probably be on a TN visa. You won't be able to get your SSN until after you activate your visa, which happens the day you move to the US. If it's a TN, it's a simple matter of showing your employment contract, a copy of your degree, and a letter from your hospital/employer stipulating your role and what you'll be paid. This happens as you drive through/fly through the border. The letter should ideally be addressed to USCIS.

If you're not getting paid you'll probably be on a J1 or F1 visa, in which case the program that accepted you will have to do some legwork to get ready for you.