Any Canadians in Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaryM

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to the 4 Med Schools in Ireland through the Atlantic Bridge Program. I'm from Toronto and I would like to here from any Canadians out there. I know coming back and practicing in Canada is, at best, VERY DIFFICULT!!
I was wondering what some of you were planning to do after graduation? Whether it is going to the States, Europe, or coming back home to practice. What are the chances of Canadians obtaining Residencies in the U.S.?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a Canadian who has applied to the atlantic bridge program. i think going to the USA is fairly easy. Canada is a lot tougher. but who knows. things could change in a few years time

I'm more worried about getting in to the med school. any med school. i hear its pretty competitive now. apparently only 1 in 10 ppl get accepted

Speaking as a Canadian in Ireland, my plan is to apply to the states for a residency. However, I'm hearing mroe and more that getting into Canada might not be as difficult as previously thought or as difficult as we're led to believe. I'm looking into it more and more. If it's family medicine you want, you can probably get it in Canada without really sweating it, but you most likely wouldn't be in Ontario. Other specialties are a lot tougher but not impossible. No plans to stay in Europe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting this year, they increased the residency spots for foreign educated doctors to 200 from 24. This is from the Toronto Star.

Most people do go to the states just because of the timing of exams and the ease of going there.

Like the other post said to do a family practice in Canada isn't that difficult (Newfoundland, Manitoba are easiest) but it's still harder to get home.

On the upside things may change soon with all the talk at home about the need for doctors and the Cdn's here are starting a lobby group to get change to happen faster at home.

paul

I've heard getting a good specialty program is out of the question if you are a foreign student from Ireland

I'm Canadian in Ireland and I plan to work in Ireland or the US. I'll write the Canadain exams too.

I've heard of previous grads going back to Canada after they finished. Even my boss in Canada was a Irish UCC grad working in IM in Ontario. My real reason for staying in Ireland or going to the US is the money. Tuition here is a lot and I don't want to pay off my loans until I'm 50.

Sage880 said:
I'm Canadian in Ireland and I plan to work in Ireland or the US. I'll write the Canadain exams too.

I've heard of previous grads going back to Canada after they finished. Even my boss in Canada was a Irish UCC grad working in IM in Ontario. My real reason for staying in Ireland or going to the US is the money. Tuition here is a lot and I don't want to pay off my loans until I'm 50.

What are your plans to get a residency spot in the US? Being a Canadian without a green card, won't many places be closed to you since J1 visas are not avaiable to you so H1b visas are the only option.

Arb said:
What are your plans to get a residency spot in the US? Being a Canadian without a green card, won't many places be closed to you since J1 visas are not avaiable to you so H1b visas are the only option.
Every Canadian I know who's graduated from my school has obtained a decent to excellent residency spot no problem. The only ones who struggled were people with USMLE-1 scores under 215. They still got some rural FP or Peads program and are doing fine. It's not nearly as hard as people on this board make it out to be.

Here's the thing about this board people: It's mostly populated by the very top and very bottom of the medical classes. Seriously, if things were really the way people made them out to be how many out of work MD's would there be? When's the last time you saw someone with a "will diagnose for food" sign? Ignore the hype, ignore the malcontents, and use your head. Talk to a sample of people who have graduated - by the way, this board is not an accurate sample. Trust me, where ever you go you will do fine. Believe it or not, no matter what school you go to - if you study hard enough - you can get into a top residency program in any country you choose. Especially in the US. People like to pretend that Americans will look more at Americans but the USMLE is a pretty big equalizer. American programs became great by taking the BEST people from their fields. When they're looking at someone from the US who got 1st honours in all their classes and a 250 on their USMLE compared with a student from nowheresville who got 1st class honours and a 260 on their USMLE they will take the foreign student. I know you're not going to believe me because you've read SOOOO much about how HARD and SCAREY it is to be away from the US for 4-5 years but it's not as bad as you think.

I've posted this before and I'll post it again: If you're a smart, hardworking, personable person you'll do fine wherever you are. If you're a borderline pass or have a social problem you should stay in the US and cross your fingers. It might be easier to go overseas but the journey is just up hill from there. And just because it's slightly easier to get in overseas doesn't mean you're going to coast through. Keep in mind the people who get into med school FROM Ireland are the best of the best. Even though they get in from out of highschool, they had to work really hard to do it. The marks are almost unbelievealbe since there aren't that many med schools. You are still competeing against them.

In summary, if you're a hard worker who slacked in undergrad a little but are otherwise fine, don't worry. You'll be fine. If you're just not med school ready for whatever reason, whether it be motivation, intelligence, or whatever, you'll find it tough to use any country as a back door to medicine.

I'm aware that Canadians seem to have no problem getting US residency positions. Even better if they get into top residency programs. I'm glad to hear it and I hope that this will continue in the future but who knows what 4 years from now will be like.

My question for you was your plans for getting a residency spot. I find that not many people are aware that Canadians are NOT eligilbe for J-1 visa waivers (official government visa website) so H1-b visas are the only way to go. I've seen the residency program list for every single program in the US and how many in each specialty they take. I have also seen programs that have gone unmatched, which will be useful information for a FMG . However, what is striking is that the number of programs is HUGE, but only ~40 programs offer H1b visas. Your choices are limited and I would say it will be increasingly more competitive to get into those programs. Going back to Canada for 2 years without being able to practice medicine doesn't seem appealing to me (J1). I assume you are very knowledgable or atleast more knowledgable than me about visa issues that you will face so I would like to hear your take on this. Again, it's not necessarily about getting a residency spot, although it may be more difficult in the future. It's about staying to practice medicine afterwards.

Arb said:
I'm aware that Canadians seem to have no problem getting US residency positions. Even better if they get into top residency programs. I'm glad to hear it and I hope that this will continue in the future but who knows what 4 years from now will be like.

My question for you was your plans for getting a residency spot. I find that not many people are aware that Canadians are NOT eligilbe for J-1 visa waivers (official government visa website) so H1-b visas are the only way to go. I've seen the residency program list for every single program in the US and how many in each specialty they take. I have also seen programs that have gone unmatched, which will be useful information for a FMG . However, what is striking is that the number of programs is HUGE, but only ~40 programs offer H1b visas. Your choices are limited and I would say it will be increasingly more competitive to get into those programs. Going back to Canada for 2 years without being able to practice medicine doesn't seem appealing to me (J1). I assume you are very knowledgable or atleast more knowledgable than me about visa issues that you will face so I would like to hear your take on this. Again, it's not necessarily about getting a residency spot, although it may be more difficult in the future. It's about staying to practice medicine afterwards.
Hey sorry, was studying and not checking this board much. I don't know much about the visa issues. That's not for a while for me yet. All I know is people have done it before and friends are doing it now and haven't been complaining about it. I'll ask around if I think of it next time I'm out with them to see how they found the whole process.

Arb said:
....Being a Canadian without a green card, won't many places be closed to you since J1 visas are not avaiable to you so H1b visas are the only option.
Since when are J-1 Visas not available to Canadians? They are available to Canadians.

Arb said:
... I find that not many people are aware that Canadians are NOT eligilbe for J-1 visa waivers (official government visa website) so H1-b visas are the only way to go. .... Going back to Canada for 2 years without being able to practice medicine doesn't seem appealing to me (J1). I assume you are very knowledgable or atleast more knowledgable than me about visa issues that you will face so I would like to hear your take on this....
I would like to read the official government visa website to which you refer that says Canadians are not eligible for J-1visa waivers. I don't believe it is true that Canadians cannot get waivers. They do obtain such waivers. But perhaps I am not reading your comment correctly..?
Returning to Canada after training is a process of completing Canadian MCC exams and specialty exams all while doing the residency. It doesn't have to be so bleak as being unable to practice medicine for two years.
I realize your point may be more about *staying* in the US, and there is no guarantee of a waiver of the home country presence requirement; if this is the case, then I agree that the H1-B visa is appropriate. :D

I read the ineligibility of Canadians for J1 waiver many months ago on the US immigration site. I don't remember how I found it but I'll search again.

It appears that
1. Canada will not sign a "no objection" letter
2. Being married to an American and separation from family is not considered "exceptional hardship"

If it is now possible to get a J1 waiver, you pretty much have to be offered a position in a sponsoring government agenc AND work in an underserviced area for 3 years.

As a Canadian, you can get a J1-visa to train in a US residency position for a maximum of 7 years, after which you must return to your sponsoring country, i.e., Canada, for a minimum of 2 years before you can apply for a visa or greencard to return to the US to live. The J1-visa waiver is different, just means that you don't have to leave the US for the 2 years; the waiver is apparently difficult to obtain, but there are ways.

You may hear of the H1B-visa and that everyone tries to get it because it's the BEST! What you need to know is that you must pass your Step 3 which you can only write after graduating medical school, meaning that you need to do your intern year outside of the US or do something else for a year after graduating. And even if you get it, there are many hospitals in the US that will only sponsor J1-visas, this includes quite a number of strong university hospitals.

The canadians here are awesome...

A couple of them recently threw a big party at the RCSI rez.... and it was OFF THE HOOK!

cheers to the 32 crew! :thumbup:

HAHAH
Yo Paul -- I didn't know you post in these forums.

Anywayz, I plan to do my residency here in Ireland after I graduate so I get registered in the European Union. After that, I'll most likely go to the states :)

And sorry i missed the party peeps -- I totally 4got about it... props to the ice luge tho' ;)

learnmed said:
HAHAH
Yo Paul -- I didn't know you post in these forums.

Anywayz, I plan to do my residency here in Ireland after I graduate so I get registered in the European Union. After that, I'll most likely go to the states :)

And sorry i missed the party peeps -- I totally 4got about it... props to the ice luge tho' ;)

i'm paul's roomie, no worries though!

we'll be holding another shindig soon...

hey sup!?
ill probably see you boys on sat at hockey then :)

ahhhhhhhhh....

NOW i know who that is...

werd up S-paw.

So, anybody got stats on Cdn IMGs who get U.S. residences? I am dying for information on this. My decision to apply to RCSI or UCD (deadline: Feb. 15) hinges on this one thing.

I'm scared I won't be able to jump through the hoops to get the U.S. residencies, i.e. pass the USMLEs, find a hospital to sponsor me for H1B, etc.

Are you cdns in ireland worried at all? I guess if you're confident in your abilities, it isn't much of an issue. I guess I'm not confident in my abilities cuz I haven't taken much science and haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm also in the middle of a nursing degree and am not sure I should jump ship and run off the Ireland w/ a lot of uncertainty.

bTw, I am from Vancouver, BC, recent UBC grad. Any advice?

I think many are actually going for the J1 visa and returning to Canada for 2 years...then move back to the States. H1b programs are so limited and so hard to get. Choose a program that has similar length as Canadian programs and spend two years in Canada afterwards.