WAMC Ireland Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F18

Like father, like son.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been here for couple
Months but just registered to ask these couple question to apply for MD degree in ireland.

I’m second year undergrad in an Ontario University studying Biomedical sciences, and I wanted to know more about the schools and what are my chances with the things that I have.

I’m applying for a 5 Year program at TCD, NUI Galway and UCC

GPA: 3.74/4.0
SGPA: 3.6/4.0
High school Average: About 89%

MCAT: havnt done it yet and I don’t think I will do it since I’m applying to schools outside North America ( I’m aware of the competitiveness when it comes to becoming an IMG and trying to do your residency back in canada)

Volunteering:

Non-medical: ~100 hours in a Junior Youth program + ~50 hours in an Islamic community centre / Mosque
Medical/Clinical: ~500 hours being a front desk at a Family doctor clinic + ~100 hours of Doctor shadowing at the same Clinic with a family doctor + ~70 hours volunteering in a hospital with different positions

Research:
I have about ~100 hours in a lab doing some simple research work for a professor that focuses on evolutionary developmental biology and genetic mechanisms that control development of fishes and mices.

So basically I know I’m late for 2019 entry, but Atlantic bridge asked if I wanted to apply for it, but idk if I should go for it or wait for 2020 entry....
Second, do I have to do HPAT before going to Ireland or apply to school or is that only for EU students/applicants?
Lastly, what are my chances ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I ask why you want to apply to Ireland and not Canadian or US schools?

May I ask why you want to apply to Ireland and not Canadian or US schools?
Hello, honestly it could be a preference but mostly because the amount of work I have to put for Canada and US compared to ireland. Canada and US need MCAT and an undergrad degree to be able to apply. Canada is extremely competitive and their MCAT is ridiculous towards CARS section which I’m not great at ( thats Canada’s disadvantage). For US, they require way less GPA and MCAT which makes it easier and opens up more doors to apply but they are expensive, and sometimes as expensive as Ireland. So I thought Ireland doesn’t want me to finish the undergrad and some don’t want me to do the MCAT, so might as well apply there and see what I get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are competitive for many schools if you apply broadly. I understand you not wanting to take the MCAT, literally no one wants to take the MCAT, its just one more hoop to jump through in applying... but have you taken the MCAT in the past or have you even taken a practice test to get an idea of how you would score? How do you know you won't do well? Applying to the US may be slightly difficult because you are Canadian but by no means impossible.
Also, being a doctor requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Applying to schools over seas just because it is less work for you now, even though you know they won't open as many doors for you in the future compared to US schools, is a bad reasoning... It isn't impossible to come back to the US or Canada from over seas schools but it is a hell of a lot harder. Please take this into consideration, being a second year you still have lots of time left.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPAs are competitive for many schools if you apply broadly. I understand you not wanting to take the MCAT, literally no one wants to take the MCAT, its just one more hoop to jump through in applying... but have you taken the MCAT in the past or have you even taken a practice test to get an idea of how you would score? How do you know you won't do well? Applying to the US may be slightly difficult because you are Canadian but by no means impossible.
Also, being a doctor requires a lot of hard work and dedication. Applying to schools over seas just because it is less work for you now, even though you know they won't open as many doors for you in the future compared to US schools, is a bad reasoning... It isn't impossible to come back to the US or Canada from over seas schools but it is a hell of a lot harder. Please take this into consideration, being a second year you still have lots of time left.

Best of luck.
Thank you for the info, will definitely consider continuing my undergrad and do the MCAT. I have many friends who did the MCAT, and they have crazy GPAs, yet nothing was given to them. This is kind of bringing me down about Canada and its medical schools. So for now, im only looking forward to apply to Ireland, Australia, or US after finishing MCAT and undergrad. I just wanted to know how competitive Ireland medical schools are, and with my stats, should I consider it and put some money into the application or should I wait and improve myself and my stats ?

Thank you!

any more suggestions or opinions ?

Most of them applied in Canada, but no one accepted so far lol
Don’t be scared of the mcat man. The Ireland shortcut doesn’t seem worth the squeeze to me. Kill the mcat and apply usmd. Maybe to schools in the bordering states so you won’t be far from home

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t be scared of the mcat man. The Ireland shortcut doesn’t seem worth the squeeze to me. Kill the mcat and apply usmd. Maybe to schools in the bordering states so you won’t be far from home
I agree, but i already shot my bullet because I paid application fee, contacted for student line of credit, etc. I dont know how it will go or how will medicine will be in 5 years but I just hope that I get into a med school man. I cant see myself doing anything else :grumpy:

I agree, but i already shot my bullet because I paid application fee, contacted for student line of credit, etc. I dont know how it will go or how will medicine will be in 5 years but I just hope that I get into a med school man. I cant see myself doing anything else :grumpy:
Seems that like you can still back out though

Seems that like you can still back out though
Yea but, from most of people that went to US and Ireland, they all say it is not much different when you come back to Canada. I actually have 2 friends, one of them went to US and came back to Canada, and the other went to Ireland, and coming back this year. They both said it will probably be similar from what they heard from their colleagues.

Yea but, from most of people that went to US and Ireland, they all say it is not much different when you come back to Canada. I actually have 2 friends, one of them went to US and came back to Canada, and the other went to Ireland, and coming back this year. They both said it will probably be similar from what they heard from their colleagues.
What do you mean it’s not much different? As in it’s just as easy to come back to Canada from Ireland as it is from the US?

What do you mean it’s not much different? As in it’s just as easy to come back to Canada from Ireland as it is from the US?
It is not different it terms of coming back to Canada with an IMG degree. I mean some people say coming from US as an IMG is better and easier than Ireland IMG in Canada, but most of the time, it is just the same. I even spoke to a doctor who works at the clinic that I work at, and he also works at the admission office of a medical school in my city, and he says most of the time, they do not really care much where you came from because at the end of the day, you are all doing the exam and converting your degree when coming back to Canada. So, I think skipping the line of doing 2 more years of undergrad and doing the MCAT is something i look forward too by just going to Ireland and doing 5 years there. But you never you, I might end up in US after all because Ireland might not accept me :nailbiting:

Just remember while Ireland may have a match rate higher than the Caribbean, it does not have anywhere close to a 100% guarantee of getting a residency in the US or Canada. I was fortunate to find a residency, but nearly 5 years out I know multiple people who never got one, and they were not the bottom students of the class. So oftentimes is better to take the extra years and effort here to make sure you can return home as a practicing physician.