Any chance at MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Per Neuronix in the Physician Scientist Forum of SDN:
from http://www.aamc.org/ data

To summarize:
Applicants who did not receive an offer: GPA 3.68 (SD .24)/MCAT 32.7 (3.7)
Applicants who received one offer: GPA 3.74 (SD .21)/MCAT 34 (3.7)
Applicants who received more than one offer: GPA 3.82 (SD .15)/MCAT 35.7 (2.5)
I don't know what MD/PhD programs would make of the fact that you've worked in so many different labs without particular longevity in one. Publication is a nice slot to be able to fill in on the AMCAS form though.

If you apply for MD/PhD you probably wouldn't need as much clinical experience as for MD-only, but you do need to have some, so volunteering somewhere that you can work directly with sick people is a good idea. Shadowing another type of physician for a day or two to get some breadth of experience would be nice to see, too.

The leadership/community service evidenced by organizing a kids' science program is very helpful. The strong theater activities would really help you stand out.

For MD-only, I don't think you'll get many takers without a decent amount of clinical experience. The average applicant has 1.5 years. I'd suggest a minimum of a year's worth if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
Just get the hospital volunteering before you submit your app.

I think you look fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall I'd say your application is pretty stong, and I'm confident you could get into a top 30 MSTP... I think Case Western, Emory, and UNC might be in your range. Your GPA is great, but your MCAT is a tad low for MD/PhD. I certainly wouldn't retake it unless you think you can improve to at least a 36, because it's certainly workable.

Definitely try to get at least a little bit of clinical volunteering. That was the 1 thing that was missing from my app, so I started volunteering in a hospital the week before I submitted AMCAS, and just kept going while doing secondaries, etc. This is not desirable, but it certainly shows you don't need tons of clinical volunteering to get into an MD/PhD program. I personally think the rest of your ECs look fine, theater and a little bit of non-clinical volunteering should be pretty good.

Your research looks fine, the longetivity thing could come up but as long as you're on friendly terms with both your PIs it shouldn't be an issue. I've worked in 3 different labs over the course of 2 years and no one really said anything about it to me. If they had I would've just explained I wanted to get some variety in my research experiences to make sure I like science, not just working in Dr. X's lab. The publication is definitely a nice addition, as it validates your work. How will your letters be from your PIs?

As of right now I think the only weak point that's not easily fixable (like clinical volunteering) is the MCAT... just apply broadly and I think you'll have no problem getting in somewhere.

Last edited:
I think you will have a good shot if you apply broadly...

I think the 33 MCAT is a tad low....but still should not keep you out.

lack of clinical experience and MCAT might....work on fixing that!!

To reiterate what's been said above, you really don't need a whole lot of clinical experience...I had only about 100 hours total and I got into some really good MSTP's. You need a certain number of hours to get in the door, but honestly, the really important thing with clinical experience is that you need to be able to talk about it. I hate to be cynical, but seriously - just get ONE patient whose situation you can discuss in an interview or essay (in a HIPAA compliant manner) that shows that you "get it" clinically - that's really all you need for MSTP.