MD & DO Any chance for a current physician assistant for MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliPAC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to this forum although I have been reading topics around here for awhile. I am a California resident currently in Urology as a physician assistant. I have only been a PA for approximately 4 months but I realized during my training that being a physician was what I wanted to be. I would like to do MD but I don't mind DO. My stats are:

- cGPA: 3.34, sGPA: 3.43. My graduate GPA: 3.75 was calculated into the science and cumulative GPA. My undergrad GPA was horrible but I have an upward trend of my last 120 units or so with a 3.8.
- MCAT has not been taken yet. I realistically need a year to study so I'll apply broadly next year.

EC
- 200 volunteering hospital hours. Maybe another 100 hours of non clinical volunteering.
- ~2000 hours during clinical rotations. Not sure where to place clinical rotation hours in the application. Maybe under shadowing? I've worked for MD and DO preceptors so I have sufficient hours with both. Getting LORs from either is no issue either.
- 2 years as an EMT
- Currently 4 months as a Urology PA-C.
- No research experience.

I'm shooting for mostly DO schools (preferably Western) but I would appreciate any thoughts on my chances at MD. I will apply to LECOM APAP this year and I'll apply to more next year after I take my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your uGPAs?
The grad GPA and Undergrad GPAs are separate. So you combining them serves no purpose. We need to know what your undergrad GPAs are.

Strong chances if you get an MCAT of 28+. Still giving you a good chance if you score a 26+ and apply broadly DO. If you want to do MD, you're probably going to need a 30-32 to have a decent shot, and even then, apply broadly.

uGPA is 3.1 and sGPA 3.1 approximately. Most likely I'll have to go DO so I can get the grad GPA to be considered. PA course work counts towards the sciences.