Any chance for the best Caribbean schools

Started by zdbsy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zdbsy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MCAT: 27 (11/6/10)
Graduates from university of Sydney (World ranking #~40)
Undergrad GPA: Unknown, awaiting for verification by WES, foreign transcript, 3.4 I'd say
Postbac GPA: 3.76 (all science upper division classes), CSU east bay

I have good ECs (including 250+ hours volunteer in hospital, 1 year in hospice, 30+ hours shadowing MD. And outside US I've got 100 hours shadowing and 500 hours volunteering in China. Used to work as a masseur in Australia for 900+hours, part time employments; administrator in computer company for 600 hours, plus something else like tutor, carrier, waiter, volunteers in one-time events, etc)

Good PS with special experience (not said by me but by the readers I randomly found), cLOR (got one from the doc I'm shadowing with, good. One from the professor, good; and one from volunteer coordinator in hospice, strong)

I know my identification (international student without GC, asian) directly blows me out of the MD schools. I planned to retake on 07/02 but not sure if I could improve my VR (non native English speaker).

Although most of my friends told me not to go to caribbean schools (rumors said they have bad education and low matching rate), I don't have many choices.

I'm wondering if I have any chance to get into the AUC/Saba/St.georgie/Ross? Please advise
 
Last edited:
You'll easily get into all of those carib schools. Why are you not considering osteopathic schools, or other international schools?
 
You'll easily get into all of those carib schools. Why are you not considering osteopathic schools, or other international schools?

Thank you man

Well my MCAT becomes the one that pushes me back (VR=6🙁). DO schools are in my consideration. However just as I listed, INTERNATIONAL STUDENT will take me away from the candidates given unbalanced score.

I may go back to China after graduation and I'm not sure DO degree is admitted there.

Anyway, Caribbean schools are my backup plan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why would you want to go back to China after graduation, the pay is much lower there and doctors are not respected very well. I thought you would know that already. Government pay for attending doctors is 10,000 yuan a month which is equivalent to like 2400 US dollars a month. For all the debt you will have you will basically never pay it off unless you work in a Chinese hospital for foreigners. Can't you just apply for Australian medical schools?
 
Why would you want to go back to China after graduation, the pay is much lower there and doctors are not respected very well. I thought you would know that already. Government pay for attending doctors is 10,000 yuan a month which is equivalent to like 2400 US dollars a month. For all the debt you will have you will basically never pay it off unless you work in a Chinese hospital for foreigners. Can't you just apply for Australian medical schools?

Well Australia represented sth bad in the memory. Also it's not easy to get in.

About the payment of the Chinese doctors I have to say that the income trend among doctors polarizes recently. I meant for most of the locally graduated doctors you're right. But for the top doctors the income out of the salary (we call it "grey income", meaning neither white-strictly legal nor black-strictly illegal) is quite high. Two of my father's friends could get 6 million yuan a year (around 1 million dollars) and they just serve the low-income population in a economically poor province.

Although the government did a lot to restrict that, the good doctor can still be paid well, especially with a US medicine degree/license, because the country lacks such people.

Btw, you Chinese?
 
Emory wouldn't accept a 27 MCAT and definitely not a 6 in VR. Those scores would be weeded out before anyone reads your application.