Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I know this isn't much information. My gf is a NY resident and has about a 3.4 GPA, 3.5 in science but only with 4 courses; she has to cram the rest in during her senior year. She hasn't taken her MCAT yet and has some volunteering and shadowing but plans to take a year off and get some more experience there. Should she bother applying or just stick to DO schools?

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
30+ on the 'cat and she should have a chance.

Psycho Doctor said:
I know this isn't much information. My gf is a NY resident and has about a 3.4 GPA, 3.5 in science but only with 4 courses; she has to cram the rest in during her senior year. She hasn't taken her MCAT yet and has some volunteering and shadowing but plans to take a year off and get some more experience there. Should she bother applying or just stick to DO schools?

OP
Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Robizzle said:
if a 3.4 is hopeless for a SUNY then i guess im done for. oh well, toodles!
hey i'm just asking b/c i didn't know and I don't want her to apply if it's hopeless.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
um, it may not be hopeless, but i have a 3.4ish gpa from berkeley and a 35+ mcat and it doesn't look like i'll be getting in anywhere this year...

OP
Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
etf said:
um, it may not be hopeless, but i have a 3.4ish gpa from berkeley and a 35+ mcat and it doesn't look like i'll be getting in anywhere this year...
great quote..Robert Browning?

wow, where did you apply? :(

Doctah

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
this is such a random process. i would never stick to numbers alone. i had a 3.4 gpa and a 24 MCAT, am not a URM and got into SUNY Buffalo. I am a nontraditional student (26 yo) and have a public health background. my advice: if this is truly what your girlfriend wants, i would encourage her to apply to a range of schools, including osteo programs. good luck!

CuddlyKumquat

simply scrumpcious
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
I agree with Docta...but Im in at Suny Stony Brook with a 3.22 :D

dittozip

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
CuddlyKumquat said:
i would just apply. its only a few bucks.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Better to try and have a chance to get in, than not try and have no chance at all.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
CuddlyKumquat said:
Are you a nontrad? Did you have outstanding MCAT and EC's?

ny skindoc

15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
This is too little data to venture any guess.If these numbers hold up after all prereqs have been completed with a good MCAT score she will have a really good shot assuming there rest of the application is strong.If she has not taken organic chem by application time that will be problem.