Any chance with MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontraddddds

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
Your chances are low for MD schools. You could try these:
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
California University
California Northstate
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For MD, chances best at state and low-tier MD as well as any that reward reinvention. A 3.8 SMP shows that you've got what it takes academically.

@Goro might have a good list of schools for reinventors.

I graduated long time ago with a horrible GPA. Took postbacc courses over the years and then went on to complete a SMP at an MD.
cGPA: 3.1, SMP 3.8, MCAT 512
I'm from CA, ORM, first gen, low income
Research: 3 years with a couple of publications
Nonclinical: 3000+ hours, 2 years with AmeriCorps where I worked with homeless and at risk youths, also have been volunteering with several nonprofits that focus on addressing economic and social disparities for many years
Clinical: 2500+ hours, worked as a health educator at federally qualified health center. Currently working as a community health worker where I coordinate care for patients with sickle cell disease (I do a lot of SCD-related community outreach, advocacy and health education), also have volunteered at free clinics and hospitals
Shadowing: 50 hours mostly with primary care
Jobs: have held multiple jobs throughout the years, some are pretty unique

Any MD schools I have a chance at? Also, which DOs should I apply to?

Thank you
I recommend:
Dartmouth
Pitt (maybe)
NYU.LI (maybe)
Rush
Rosly Frnaklin
Loyola
Wayne State
UCI
UCD
UCR only if you're from the Inland Empire
Kaiser (maybe)
CalU Med
EVMS
Hofstra (maybe)
Netter
SLU
Creighton
MCW
GWU
Gtown
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Emory
Tufts
Wake
Miami
Tulane
EVMS
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
NovaMD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

I recommend:
Dartmouth
Pitt (maybe)
NYU.LI (maybe)
Rush
Rosly Frnaklin
Loyola
Wayne State
UCI
UCD
UCR only if you're from the Inland Empire
Kaiser (maybe)
CalU Med
EVMS
Hofstra (maybe)
Netter
SLU
Creighton
MCW
GWU
Gtown
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Emory
Tufts
Wake
Miami
Tulane
EVMS
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
NovaMD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
Thank you for the list.

Check your SMP program director for any insight where past participants with similar metrics wound up attending for medical school.
Could you comment on my ECs? I am not sure if they are strong enough for a nontraditional. Thank you

Could you comment on my ECs? I am not sure if they are strong enough for a nontraditional. Thank you
What are you specifically worried about? You have a lot of activity hours that conform to a nontraditional application to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

I think your ECs are fine. Two years with Americorps and then lots of volunteering extending the focus of Americorps(it seems). I’ve always thought that being a nontraditional made you stand out because of what you have done since graduation or since you decided to follow this path. You certainly have filled your time with service to those less fortunate than yourself in several areas. At least that’s what I think. Good luck.

I'm more worried about whether my activities would make me stand out as a nontrad.
Your hours will make you stand out as a nontraditional applicant, relative to other traditional applicants. I wouldn't worry, but connect with admissions recruiters if you have any specific concerns.

Your hours will make you stand out as a nontraditional applicant, relative to other traditional applicants. I wouldn't worry, but connect with admissions recruiters if you have any specific concerns.
Thanks. I'm more worried about the types of activities than the hours. But I will reach out to them.