Any Comments Appreciated Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comatoses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at my college majoring in biological sciences. My science and cumulative gpa is 3.95.
I am listing my activities below.
-volunteer at local hospital for past two years and continuing
-20 hours family practice shadowing
-Biological sciences club Tutoring
-Research 1 semester so far and in progress
-Religious club member
-I held one summer job
-50 hours volunteering at library

The only thing that I dont have available is mcat score which I am taking in april. I am really nervous about the mcat. NOT scamming or trolling.

Also my goal is an MD school. My ECS are not that great.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do well (>30) you stand a very good shot at getting into a medical school if you apply broadly enough. As for your EC's, I would add at least a little more shadowing. If you have any hobbies outside of medicine, see if you can work that in as well, whether its through a club or whatever.

ok thanky you for the feedback. Do you think I have a shot at some of the top tier schools? I can settle for mid tier too.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanky you for the feedback. Do you think I have a shot at some of the top tier schools? I can settle for mid tier too.

For stats-heavy top tier ones, you might have some chance if you get an extremely high MCAT score. But, for other top tiers, less likely but possible. You need unique ECs, such as multiple publications, speaking multiple languages, national awards, talents, previous significant careers or backgrounds, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Thanks. I understand. I have been averaging 32 on my practice exams that I have taken.

I think 32 is about average across all allopathic schools. Top tiers average around 36. Invest in an MSAR if you want to know the exact averages. There's also a table with this information compiled by SDN.

Just beef up the ECs and rock the mCAT, and you're fine.

I am currently a junior at my college majoring in biological sciences. My science and cumulative gpa is 3.95.
I am listing my activities below.
-volunteer at local hospital for past two years and continuing
-20 hours family practice shadowing
-Biological sciences club Tutoring
-Research 1 semester so far and in progress
-Religious club member
-I held one summer job
-50 hours volunteering at library

The only thing that I dont have available is mcat score which I am taking in april. I am really nervous about the mcat. NOT scamming or trolling.

Also my goal is an MD school. My ECS are not that great.

Do you have any suggestions for the ECs? Also my LORs will be average not outstanding.

Can settle for mid tier too? I think your attitude about the medical school application process is a bit off. If only a mid-tier MD school takes you, you should be thrilled, not feel like you are "settling."

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah you are right. Honestly, if I am accepted I will be very thrilled!