Any Conservatives attending SGU in Feb '05?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tiredofwaiting

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any republicans/conservatives attending SGU in Feb of '05. I know the medical profession isn't exactly conservative, but I would argue that we are the silent majority. So speak up! 🙂
 
There are precious few "conservatives" in multicultural centers of higher learning (save business school).

You might as well be looking for them in Mass. 😀
 
McGillGrad said:
There are precious few "conservatives" in multicultural centers of higher learning (save business school).

You might as well be looking for them in Mass. 😀

I find that the medical community is a fairly conservative bunch (though that just may be residents and practicing docs who have had to deal with the crazy medical malpractice judgements and want caps and the ever increasing control of the practice of medicine by health insurance companies) Don't worry there are many in grenada.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ssman said:
I don't think he meant economic conservatives, but the type mcgill's talking about.
Generally, if one is economically conservative, much of your viewpoint is as well. And I think that there are many conservatives at sgu (as well as other med schools), but then again I from the South so, I guess we tend to lean to the right anyway.
 
Well, thats just super! As if we dont have enough with the Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and the Pat Buchanans...

Just what we need....More of the right wing agenda. Next thing u know, we'll have prayers and the ten commandments in the lecture hall.
 
blackbeard505 said:
Well, thats just super! As if we dont have enough with the Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and the Pat Buchanans...

Just what we need....More of the right wing agenda. Next thing u know, we'll have prayers and the ten commandments in the lecture hall.

My, my, aren't we open minded. How are you ever going to deal with the diversity of opinions that your residents, attendings, and your patients will have? Just because you're conservative doesn't mean that you're fanatical and one dimensional.
You're not planning on coming down to SGU are you?
 
blackbeard505 said:
Well, thats just super! As if we dont have enough with the Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and the Pat Buchanans...

Just what we need....More of the right wing agenda. Next thing u know, we'll have prayers and the ten commandments in the lecture hall.

trust me... at exam time there is A LOT of prayin' goin' on in those lecture halls.
 
rokshana said:
trust me... at exam time there is A LOT of prayin' goin' on in those lecture halls.


Haha, as long as there are exams, there will be prayer in class.
 
rokshana said:
Generally, if one is economically conservative, much of your viewpoint is as well. And I think that there are many conservatives at sgu (as well as other med schools), but then again I from the South so, I guess we tend to lean to the right anyway.

In the North, at least, it's a lot more subtle than that. Most of the Republican/conservatives who went to my college were conservative on economic and military matters, but moderate to liberal on social issues (not affirmative action or political correctness so much as same-sex marriage, abortion, stem-cell research, legalization of drugs, etc.) A lot was in the press about how the conservative Protestant/Catholic vote helped elect Bush, but in reality many Christians are still liberal on some issues, most often fiscal issues but also things like foreign policy and the environment.
 
gbsnyc said:
In the North, at least, it's a lot more subtle than that. Most of the Republican/conservatives who went to my college were conservative on economic and military matters, but moderate to liberal on social issues (not affirmative action or political correctness so much as same-sex marriage, abortion, stem-cell research, legalization of drugs, etc.) A lot was in the press about how the conservative Protestant/Catholic vote helped elect Bush, but in reality many Christians are still liberal on some issues, most often fiscal issues but also things like foreign policy and the environment.
Well if you take a true Republican stance (i.e as little goverenment regulation as possible) then many of the above points would proably seen a little liberal. For example, the government shouldn't play a big role in regulation of abortion or stem cell research- social mores and community opinions should play a bigger role.
I know I'm opening a HUGE can of worms, but ....have fun!!
I think most people are kinda middle of the road overall- conservative on some points, liberal on others.
 
rokshana said:
Well if you take a true Republican stance (i.e as little goverenment regulation as possible) then many of the above points would proably seen a little liberal. For example, the government shouldn't play a big role in regulation of abortion or stem cell research- social mores and community opinions should play a bigger role.
I know I'm opening a HUGE can of worms, but ....have fun!!
I think most people are kinda middle of the road overall- conservative on some points, liberal on others.


i miss the days when you didnt pick your friends based on their political beliefs
 
kickazzz2000 said:
i miss the days when you didnt pick your friends based on their political beliefs
Friends on political beliefs... I pick who I ask out on those beliefs... Case in point I was talking to this one girl and she believes that the basis of the bill or rights is the bible. Now personally, I find this preposterous because from what I remember in history class that the majority of the Bill of rights stems from the the oppressive government that existed prior to the American Revolution such as the need to expressly dictate that private citizens will not house and quarter soldiers.

I can't go out with someone who will oppose me in every decision that I make because they believe in different things. Now I have no problem being friends with someone who holds political views contrary to my own to a point where they may be biased against different groups of individuals due to their own personal choices and go as far as to attempt to elect leadership that will enact laws to make it legal to restrict certain activities due to their own preferences. But that is another discussion for another time. Now I await to find out when my SGU interview is...