-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any cops out there?
Started by OneTyme
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nope, med schools usually don't accept ex-cops. Don't you know that bacon is bad for your health?Hey,
I'm new to this forum. I am a 27 year old cop. I've been at it for 5 years. I am planning on applying to med school in about 2 years when I have enough pre req's done.
I'm just wondering if there are others out there trying to make the same leap....
I know a few who have made the leap. Maybe they lied about where they worked in the application process.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are a few. Do spouses of students count? I'm married to one (and he's gonna retire when I'm done and working).
I'm just wondering if there are others out there trying to make the same leap....
You mean like from a helicopter onto the top of a building, shooting a drug dealer on your way down, landing in a commando roll and slapping the cuffs on his struggling wrists?
Because that would be cool. Thoughts?
Hey,
I'm new to this forum. I am a 27 year old cop. I've been at it for 5 years. I am planning on applying to med school in about 2 years when I have enough pre req's done.
I'm just wondering if there are others out there trying to make the same leap....
Hiya. I'm a 29 year old big-city cop with seven years on the job, planning to apply to med school in 2 to 3 more years.
The med school reps I've spoken with at my (Ivy League) university's med school fair were all very positive about my current career as it relates to medicine: they seemed to understand that LEOS are used to long and inconvenient hours, we won't faint at the sight of blood, and we've proven ourselves in a field in which, like medicine, both compassion and investigatory skills play integral roles.
don't listen to the trolls around here. 👎
when i volunteer at the ER, the cops are involved in much more than us lowly volunteers. it seems like a good transition; you're already in a profession that helps and protects others, which is similar for doctors.
if anything, i think it will make your application stand out as you clearly can speak about a whole slew of experiences you've had at the job that clearly differs from the rest of us corporate drones. good luck to you!
when i volunteer at the ER, the cops are involved in much more than us lowly volunteers. it seems like a good transition; you're already in a profession that helps and protects others, which is similar for doctors.
if anything, i think it will make your application stand out as you clearly can speak about a whole slew of experiences you've had at the job that clearly differs from the rest of us corporate drones. good luck to you!
I worked in the ER in my city for a few years before I became the po-po. Do you guys find it hard to do well in your classe while doing shift work, over time, testifying in trials? I am taking 22 credits this semester (I reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy want to get done)..... Any other advice?
Northerner-So you saw that video of me on you tube?
Northerner-So you saw that video of me on you tube?
I worked in the ER in my city for a few years before I became the po-po. Do you guys find it hard to do well in your classe while doing shift work, over time, testifying in trials? I am taking 22 credits this semester (I reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy want to get done)..... Any other advice?
Northerner-So you saw that video of me on you tube?
Take fewer classes. Honestly, it's better to take longer and do well than to try to do everything at once and not do as well. 22 credits is a lot for someone who's not working, and I think you're setting yourself up for failure while adding work into the mix.
I guess I should clarify a bit. I am attending school online. While it is a good program, it is fairly easy for me to do. I am routinely 1-2 weeks ahead in my work and my grades this semester are averaging 99.2%. This spring I am going to add Chem and Physic by taking them at the local university. It averages with the online degree to about 20+ credits but it really is easier than it sounds. I am thinking that I will reduce my load if I can't handle it.
I guess I should clarify a bit. I am attending school online. While it is a good program, it is fairly easy for me to do. I am routinely 1-2 weeks ahead in my work and my grades this semester are averaging 99.2%. This spring I am going to add Chem and Physic by taking them at the local university. It averages with the online degree to about 20+ credits but it really is easier than it sounds. I am thinking that I will reduce my load if I can't handle it.
It may not be an issue, but perhaps you should check out the web sites or call the admissions offices at the medical schools that you are most interested in (i.e., your local/state med schools) and double-check that they accept pre-requisites from online schools.

This thread was started by a former police officer who started med school this year at the age of 47. I found his story inspiring.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=394455&highlight=ray+of+hope
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=394455&highlight=ray+of+hope
I worked in the ER in my city for a few years before I became the po-po. Do you guys find it hard to do well in your classe while doing shift work, over time, testifying in trials? I am taking 22 credits this semester (I reeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy want to get done)..... Any other advice?
Northerner-So you saw that video of me on you tube?
You look a lot like Bruce Willis.
This thread was started by a former police officer who started med school this year at the age of 47. I found his story inspiring.
Thanks for posting the link to that thread. It's nice to know that there are more of us out there, especially when some of the others are older than I'll be when I matriculate. If I time this right, I'll be able to retire from the Department at exactly ten years, which means a partial pension and all benefits starting at what would have been my twentieth anniversary when I would otherwise be retiring. May not be much, but it should help with those student loans.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a good friend who has moved up the ranks as a corrections officer to detective and is almost done with his 20 years for retirement. When he is finished he is strongly considering applying to medical school. He has been a paramedic for years, helps to instruct paramedic and ACLS courses, is an amazing health care provider, and i believe his experiences with his previous job will help him very much in becoming a physician for the same reasons people have mentioned above, ie compassion, protecting people, etc. i understand that police don't usually consider COs as exactly the same, depending where you live, but thought that experience may be somewhat what you were looking for.
I guess I should clarify again. All my prereques will be done at the local University, actually in class. The rest of the degree will be on line.
Thanks for that link, I hope I can make it like that old cop did....
Thanks for that link, I hope I can make it like that old cop did....
Again, contact several medical schools you're interested in. Many do not accept pre-requisites. If your degreee is online, this would rule them out.I guess I should clarify again. All my prereques will be done at the local University, actually in class. The rest of the degree will be on line.
I used to teach in online learning, so I'm a fan, but keep in mind that med schools are conservative by nature and many are dismissive of online learning. Some won't accept the credits, others view it as not representative of college classwork. Caveat emptor....
Good luck with the process...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 489
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 3K