Any current PTs have any thoughts about DPT programs that are only 2.5 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member0000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about programs being 2.5 years in length rather than 3? Or know any other PTs that may have completed a shorter program... Are sacrifices made somewhere for the shorter programs? Is it not really preferable to attend a 2.5 year program over a 3 year one? Just wondering if there would be any differences in learning outcomes with a shorter program.

Members don't see this ad.

there are going to be pros and cons with both obviously. I believe one of the big things with shorter programs is the amount of time you get for your clinical rotations. The curriculum may be more hectic in a shorter program just because they have to fulfill certain criteria in a shorter amount of time. If i were you I would focus on what the school focuses on instead of the actual program length ( i.e. a research based school vs manual therapy based school). see what school fits you better, and if happens to be a longer program then go with that. I myself attend a shorter length program and it is really stressfull at times, but i like the program.

I am still just a student. But after completing my first 2 years of school (with 1 more year of just clinicals) I would recommend a 3 yr program over the 2.5 years. Some of the courses in my program felt very rushed..I could not imagine having even less time to complete them. Also the more time you get in the clinic the more prepared you will be when you enter the workforce. That being said, I'd look closely at the curriculum of any school that you apply to. For example, some schools might only be 2.5 years but still thoroughly cover the material you need to be a good PT, whereas other programs might be longer but have less relevant courses.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a big thing to consider here is that the more time you spend in school, the less time you spend out in the work force earning salary. I was choosing between two schools that were very close in tuition but decided to go with the shorter one because when you factored that in it makes a huge difference. As someone mentioned on the other board, NPTE pass rates are more relevant and somewhat less clinic time can be made up when you are working (and actually getting paid for the hard work that you do!) I've heard that the vast majority of learning happens when you are a PT.

I am attending a 2.5 year school and I'm 1 year in. It's definitely hectic, for sure. We had zero breaks from Jan 2 - July 13th. But, I'm already in my first clinical and have 3 more to go. We get 36 weeks of clinical time total by the time we graduate. Not sure how that matches up with other schools. I chose the school because I liked the program, it was a plus that it's 2.5.

We get 36 weeks of clinical time total by the time we graduate. Not sure how that matches up with other schools.

34-36 weeks of clinical time is the standard for every school I've looked at, regardless as to the total length of the program.
I haven't found any program that cuts clinical hours. It seems more that they give the information in the classroom a bit faster/have a lot less breaks than longer programs.

34-36 weeks of clinical time is the standard for every school I've looked at, regardless as to the total length of the program.

Unfortunately, there is very little standard when it comes to clinical education.
I know of at least one "short" program that only has 28 clinical weeks total. I had 59 full weeks, plus 3 semesters of 2 days/week. Those may be two extremes, but I think the variation is enough that it should at least be considered when choosing a program. Some people may feel prepared to start working with 28 weeks of clinic time, or 36, or feel that they want or need more.

Unfortunately, there is very little standard when it comes to clinical education.
I know of at least one "short" program that only has 28 clinical weeks total. I had 59 full weeks, plus 3 semesters of 2 days/week. Those may be two extremes, but I think the variation is enough that it should at least be considered when choosing a program. Some people may feel prepared to start working with 28 weeks of clinic time, or 36, or feel that they want or need more.

Not only there is no standard, but there is nothing published to show what is a 'good' amount of clinical education. In our faculty meetings, the clinical education people have been discussing that most schools are looking to cut clinical education based on feedback from students and clinical instructors. We have our students do 37 weeks, and most students and CIs state they are at entry-level (CAPTE's requirement for clinical education after about 30). SO why have students pay tuition for things they do not necessarily need to be minimally competent entry-level PTs (standard for passing NPTE).

Not only there is no standard, but there is nothing published to show what is a 'good' amount of clinical education. In our faculty meetings, the clinical education people have been discussing that most schools are looking to cut clinical education based on feedback from students and clinical instructors. We have our students do 37 weeks, and most students and CIs state they are at entry-level (CAPTE's requirement for clinical education after about 30). SO why have students pay tuition for things they do not necessarily need to be minimally competent entry-level PTs (standard for passing NPTE).

The argument from schools is that minimally competent isn't an acceptable goal; that graduates should be competent clinicians, period, and not "entry level".
I definitely see the strain on students' wallets though, and some clinical sites have become strained as well, trying to accommodate more students for more time and ultimately turning away students and schools altogether.
Ideally we will see more focus and research in this area in the near future so standards and guidelines can be established across the board. Not only would all grads be equally and adequately prepared for the work force, but I imagine it would make selecting schools a whole lot ease for a lot of people.

I am in a 2.5 year program and we have 51 weeks of clinicals.

I do not know the reference off the top of my head, but there is some evidence that individual clinicals longer than about 8 weeks or so are not more effective as a learning activity than clinicals of 8 weeks. As I recall, the finding was that after 8 weeks the students begin to function more as PTs rather than as students (not learning new skills or techniques, not being exposed to new experiences, etc.).

I am not aware of any evidence though about the effect of total length of clinical experiences, though most do seem to be in the mid-30 week length.

I am also a faculty member, and we also have long discussions about the meaning of 'entry-level'. Almost every year a student will come back from a clinical experience saying that their CI used this fantastic new technique on patients with this type of pain and it worked fantastic, and why don't we teach them this technique.

#1 factor for me in picking a CAPTE accredited program (should I get accepted :xf:) will be program length followed by total cost. But if you factor in not paying 4-5 months of tuition/other school expenses + entry level salary (paying back on loans) during that time, it's hard to beat the shorter program. There's plenty of time to perfect clinical skills while you're getting paid. My two cents.

Many of you mentioned that you are in 2.5 year programs, so I was just curious which programs those are. I've only been able to find one program that is 2.5 years so far. Thanks!

many of you mentioned that you are in 2.5 year programs, so i was just curious which programs those are. I've only been able to find one program that is 2.5 years so far. Thanks!

st. Augustine @ 2.3

my friend attends Pacific and likes it. Being done in 2 years would be awesome, ( i think any pt student would agree) however, it takes a lot of hard work. Pacific covers the material necessary and meets the requirements of CAPTE and thus is accredited. It is VERY expensive and when I asked my friend about advantages of going there compared with a local, well respected instate school, he told me, if you get accepted to both, just go to the instate school even though it is a year more. Same quality education but less debt.

I have applied to Pacific and consider it because I love the thought of being done in 2 years. But you'd get to weigh out less debt for 1 more year of school.

my friend attends Pacific and likes it. Being done in 2 years would be awesome, ( i think any pt student would agree) however, it takes a lot of hard work. Pacific covers the material necessary and meets the requirements of CAPTE and thus is accredited. It is VERY expensive and when I asked my friend about advantages of going there compared with a local, well respected instate school, he told me, if you get accepted to both, just go to the instate school even though it is a year more. Same quality education but less debt.

I have applied to Pacific and consider it because I love the thought of being done in 2 years. But you'd get to weigh out less debt for 1 more year of school.

Thanks for the response. That is interesting that you would inquire more debt in a 2 year program as oppose to a 3 year instate program. I've been contemplating applying there and forking out another $120, but your response suggests i shouldnt. On top of the tuition, I've heard stockton isn't necessarily the greatest place to live either and that matters considering I don't know anyone and am not familiar with the area.

Thanks for the response. That is interesting that you would inquire more debt in a 2 year program as oppose to a 3 year instate program. I've been contemplating applying there and forking out another $120, but your response suggests i shouldnt. On top of the tuition, I've heard stockton isn't necessarily the greatest place to live either and that matters considering I don't know anyone and am not familiar with the area.

Safety can be an issue. just research it a lot. I'm not saying don't apply, I'm just sharing some of my own insight....

Loma Linda univ. also lots of on line of u r already a PT. Washington univ. I'm looking for a study guide and group for my upcoming neuro specialty. Can u hook me up? Thanks