Any DC who are getting a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2b34

Anesthesiology
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a practicing chiropractor who is going back to DO school. I'm wondering if there are any students out there with similar backgrounds and could you tell how your experiences were in DO school. Tell me everything; Did going through Chiro-school help to prepare for DO, how is it different taking the same subjects in DO school, which part of chiro-school was most helpful(CMT I'm sure), are there special scholarships that are available to us, etc...?
Thanks doc2b34

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
one of my classmates has been a practicing chiropractor for four years before he decided to attend COMP. Since COMP has a summer anatomy program that can allow you to get a headstart and even place out of a portion of gross anatomy while getting other benefits, it helped him out alot since he had taken anatomy and TA'ed it in chiropractor school. I believe some of the other courses he took helped to some degree with being familiar with some of the basic sciences and clinical knowledge (as well as perhaps with patient contact and doing H&P's), but I think the biggest advantage in our first year was his experience in anatomy which helped him spend more time studying for other classes. I should note that he donates a good amount of time helping out fellow classmates with anatomy in the lab and classroom as well. I do think it is a good opportunity if you want to be able to do more or have an interest in something more that you could accomplish by becoming a doctor. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
To drusso,

My reasons are very clear. I've been practicing for two years as a chiropractor and it's time to change. For one thing I want to switch because I want to experience a wider scope of practice, I'm simply bored of what I'm doing as a chiro right now. Secondly I want to have a practice that have patients who don't feel as if they were convinced into staying with the care, as chiros would call it, "Ruin them". Get the picture. doc2b34

Ya know, I have heard that sentiment from other DC's that became DO's. As a PT, I also wanted to broaden my practice and care for patients. I also wanted to take upon the challenge of medicine.

It will be easier now that you have your DC degree, although that difference probably drops off by 3rd year. I would say that the classes are harder in general in DO school, although my anatomy course was harder at DC school. I don't know about scholarships, as I didn't really check(I should have). Good luck.

Hey DCDO,

Thanks for writing in and thanks for making me feel more confident about DO school. Hey do you know what you want to specialize in. I mean now that you've had so much time to think about it? Are DO's only limited to primary care or do we have a chance at doing a specialty? What are our chances at something like ENT or Dermatology? How many DO residency spots are there for these specialties. Do you or does any body know? Thanks doc2b34

doc2b34,

There are plenty of places on the web where you can find the answers to your questions. I suggest you start with the AOA's website.

I'm planning on internal medicine. You can go into anything, although admittedly it will be harder to get into the highly competitive residencies. There are always exceptions, and you should not limit yourself in your choices but instead just focus on making yourself a highly competitive candidate.