Specialties available to those who failed Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1148566

After a failed step 1, what specialty were you able to match into / what is available for those folks who failed it?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have seen on SDN, seems like anesthesia/surgical specialties are not feasible anymore after a failed step 1 and being a DO. Still curious about others though.
Damn! I can't remeber which specialties! BUT, I do remember that a Step 1 failure wasn't lethal for career goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Step 1 and Level 1 weren't great, but I eventually failed level 2 during my application cycle and still matched into Neurology. I can't imagine it being that much different with a failed Level 1/step 1. Although, it does lower your chances quite a bit for many programs though.

See my original WAMC thread:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'd imagine things like IM, peds, FM, PMR, psych, neuro, path would almost certainly be still be open. things like rads gas obgyn gensurg i'd imagine would be extremely difficult but could maybe be possible if you kill aways and do well on comlex? anything surgical subspecialty is prob impossible

Yeah I'd imagine things like IM, peds, FM, PMR, psych, neuro, path would almost certainly be still be open. things like rads gas obgyn gensurg i'd imagine would be extremely difficult but could maybe be possible if you kill aways and do well on comlex? anything surgical subspecialty is prob impo
Is PMR still doable? I know the last match was brutal for DOs.

After a failed step 1, what specialty were you able to match into / what is available for those folks who failed it?
FM, peds, IM, neuro, EM, path still on the table. Maybe PMR, psych, anesthesia. I would say GS and OB almost definitely no. Rads, ortho, NSG, derm, all other surgical subs are a definite no go.

Reactions: 1 user
FM, Path, IM (community programs), Peds and EM. Neuro I would say is more of a maybe. I don't think psych, PMR or anesthesia are realistic at all. Anything surgical is completely out

FM, Path, IM (community programs), Peds and EM. Neuro I would say is more of a maybe. I don't think psych, PMR or anesthesia are realistic at all. Anything surgical is completely out
why not psych? Considering the match for those with COMLEX only last year was pretty good. Same with neuro and pmr. I understand anesthesia and surgical specialties being out of reach

Failing S1 or S2 is not serious for DOs than it is for MDs as these tests are not requirements for a DO. Some one reported last year they matched a good Uni IM program with a failed S1 that they did not report. They were never asked about S1 during their interviews. Sure, it closes a lot of doors if you do not report S scores, but you are still okay with all non-competitive specialties as well as some semi competitive specialties at comlex freindly programs if you have good comlex scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Failing S1 or S2 is not serious for DOs than it is for MDs as these tests are not requirements for a DO. Some one reported last year they matched a good Uni IM program with a failed S1 that they did not report. They were never asked about S1 during their interviews. Sure, it closes a lot of doors if you do not report S scores, but you are still okay with all non-competitive specialties as well as some semi competitive specialties at comlex freindly programs if you have good comlex scores.
Agree. If you scored like 600-700 on comlex only you could prbly match general surgery at a former aoa or even something like ortho or other surgical sub depending on how you audition at your sub-I’s without a S1. A fair amount of community MD places are also ok with comlex only. But the odds you get a 600-700 on comlex but fail s1/s2 are very very low

Agree. If you scored like 600-700 on comlex only you could prbly match general surgery at a former aoa or even something like ortho or other surgical sub depending on how you audition at your sub-I’s without a S1. A fair amount of community MD places are also ok with comlex only. But the odds you get a 600-700 on comlex but fail s1/s2 are very very low
I’m mainly looking to match psychiatry. Not really interested in surgery. Just wondering whether that’s a realistic goal with comlex only

why not psych? Considering the match for those with COMLEX only last year was pretty good. Same with neuro and pmr. I understand anesthesia and surgical specialties being out of reach
If your scenario is pass COMLEX and fail USMLE step 1, you can match psych and neuro no problem. PMR is much harder than just numbers but i'll say not impossible if you put the time in to impress someone

If your scenario is pass COMLEX and fail USMLE step 1, you can match psych and neuro no problem. PMR is much harder than just numbers but i'll say not impossible if you put the time in to impress someone
That is my scenario. Thanks for the reassurance

Anecdotal, but when I applied 2 years ago the comlex only PMR applicants were struggling for interviews. Even having a below average step 1 markedly improved your interview yield.

That is my scenario. Thanks for the reassurance

Just don’t report your step 1.

I’m mainly looking to match psychiatry. Not really interested in surgery. Just wondering whether that’s a realistic goal with comlex only
You can still match psych

Psych heavily relies on your interest to the field. I had friends with 240s who soaped while someone with comlex only had 10+ interviews and matched fine

Psych isn’t a linear high score = guaranteed match field

Reactions: 4 users