You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Damn! I can't remeber which specialties! BUT, I do remember that a Step 1 failure wasn't lethal for career goals.
D
deleted1148566
From what I have seen on SDN, seems like anesthesia/surgical specialties are not feasible anymore after a failed step 1 and being a DO. Still curious about others though.
Damn! I can't remeber which specialties! BUT, I do remember that a Step 1 failure wasn't lethal for career goals.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Step 1 and Level 1 weren't great, but I eventually failed level 2 during my application cycle and still matched into Neurology. I can't imagine it being that much different with a failed Level 1/step 1. Although, it does lower your chances quite a bit for many programs though.
See my original WAMC thread:
forums.studentdoctor.net
See my original WAMC thread:
What are my chances applying neurology this year?
So I am at one of the newer DO schools and also URM/black (if that makes a difference) applying Neuro this year. Step 1 and Level 1 didn't turn out great with a 204 and 425 (on first attempt). Still working on Step 2 and Level 2, and my scores won't come out until 2 weeks into the cycle...
Last edited:
Yeah I'd imagine things like IM, peds, FM, PMR, psych, neuro, path would almost certainly be still be open. things like rads gas obgyn gensurg i'd imagine would be extremely difficult but could maybe be possible if you kill aways and do well on comlex? anything surgical subspecialty is prob impossible
D
deleted1148566
Is PMR still doable? I know the last match was brutal for DOs.Yeah I'd imagine things like IM, peds, FM, PMR, psych, neuro, path would almost certainly be still be open. things like rads gas obgyn gensurg i'd imagine would be extremely difficult but could maybe be possible if you kill aways and do well on comlex? anything surgical subspecialty is prob impo
FM, peds, IM, neuro, EM, path still on the table. Maybe PMR, psych, anesthesia. I would say GS and OB almost definitely no. Rads, ortho, NSG, derm, all other surgical subs are a definite no go.After a failed step 1, what specialty were you able to match into / what is available for those folks who failed it?
i mean depends on how you do on comlex 2 i guess. wouldnt be impossible but prob harderIs PMR still doable? I know the last match was brutal for DOs.
Fm im Peds neuro path
D
deleted1148566
not psych? Just curious since last year the match rate was pretty good for those who applied COMLEX onlyFm im Peds neuro path
Last edited by a moderator:
FM, Path, IM (community programs), Peds and EM. Neuro I would say is more of a maybe. I don't think psych, PMR or anesthesia are realistic at all. Anything surgical is completely outAfter a failed step 1, what specialty were you able to match into / what is available for those folks who failed it?
D
deleted1148566
why not psych? Considering the match for those with COMLEX only last year was pretty good. Same with neuro and pmr. I understand anesthesia and surgical specialties being out of reachFM, Path, IM (community programs), Peds and EM. Neuro I would say is more of a maybe. I don't think psych, PMR or anesthesia are realistic at all. Anything surgical is completely out
D
deleted1066449
Failing S1 or S2 is not serious for DOs than it is for MDs as these tests are not requirements for a DO. Some one reported last year they matched a good Uni IM program with a failed S1 that they did not report. They were never asked about S1 during their interviews. Sure, it closes a lot of doors if you do not report S scores, but you are still okay with all non-competitive specialties as well as some semi competitive specialties at comlex freindly programs if you have good comlex scores.
D
deleted898021
Agree. If you scored like 600-700 on comlex only you could prbly match general surgery at a former aoa or even something like ortho or other surgical sub depending on how you audition at your sub-I’s without a S1. A fair amount of community MD places are also ok with comlex only. But the odds you get a 600-700 on comlex but fail s1/s2 are very very lowFailing S1 or S2 is not serious for DOs than it is for MDs as these tests are not requirements for a DO. Some one reported last year they matched a good Uni IM program with a failed S1 that they did not report. They were never asked about S1 during their interviews. Sure, it closes a lot of doors if you do not report S scores, but you are still okay with all non-competitive specialties as well as some semi competitive specialties at comlex freindly programs if you have good comlex scores.
D
deleted1148566
I’m mainly looking to match psychiatry. Not really interested in surgery. Just wondering whether that’s a realistic goal with comlex onlyAgree. If you scored like 600-700 on comlex only you could prbly match general surgery at a former aoa or even something like ortho or other surgical sub depending on how you audition at your sub-I’s without a S1. A fair amount of community MD places are also ok with comlex only. But the odds you get a 600-700 on comlex but fail s1/s2 are very very low
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your scenario is pass COMLEX and fail USMLE step 1, you can match psych and neuro no problem. PMR is much harder than just numbers but i'll say not impossible if you put the time in to impress someonewhy not psych? Considering the match for those with COMLEX only last year was pretty good. Same with neuro and pmr. I understand anesthesia and surgical specialties being out of reach
D
deleted1148566
That is my scenario. Thanks for the reassuranceIf your scenario is pass COMLEX and fail USMLE step 1, you can match psych and neuro no problem. PMR is much harder than just numbers but i'll say not impossible if you put the time in to impress someone
Anecdotal, but when I applied 2 years ago the comlex only PMR applicants were struggling for interviews. Even having a below average step 1 markedly improved your interview yield.If your scenario is pass COMLEX and fail USMLE step 1, you can match psych and neuro no problem. PMR is much harder than just numbers but i'll say not impossible if you put the time in to impress someone
That is my scenario. Thanks for the reassurance
Just don’t report your step 1.
You can still match psychI’m mainly looking to match psychiatry. Not really interested in surgery. Just wondering whether that’s a realistic goal with comlex only
Psych heavily relies on your interest to the field. I had friends with 240s who soaped while someone with comlex only had 10+ interviews and matched fine
Psych isn’t a linear high score = guaranteed match field
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 291
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K