any difference between research fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me if med schools have a preference as to the field in which applicants do their research. For instance, is their any difference between basic plant research (genetics, biochemistry), medical biochemistry, clinical research and say engineering research as far as med school admission is concerned. I know there are plenty of other research areas--this is all hypothetical. In my mind the quality of research is more important than the field. But is this the case? Or do med schools look more favorably upon research in fields directly relevant to medicine? And please assume the situation is for MD applicants only. I know MD/PhD applicants may be expected to have more exposure to medically relevant fields (for the most part).

Members don't see this ad.

Gizzdogg- i actually spoke with an admissions officer about this. She said it doesn't matter what field you are in. As long it was important and inspiring to you. They don't want to see what you have done just to be admitted. They want to see that you have intellectual curiosity in a particular field. Remember: enjoy the journey that will lead you to your goals. Good luck to you. ;)

I've been told what's more important than the project you're a part of...is if you're really a part of it. A lot of undergrads are hired to work as test tube washers in a prestigious laboratory vs getting to actually have a part in the project. If you're looking for a project, I would just make sure that you'll actually be doing research vs following a cookbook recipe or being a dishwasher.