• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

any DO schools have an AMSA chapter?

chilipina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
boston
    i found a lot of great summer fellowships on the AMSA website and wanted to get more information from my campus AMSA chapter... but found out that we don't have one.

actually, my school is nationally registered, but the chapter at my school is not currently active. i know SOMA is our AMSA equivalent but wanted to see if any osteopathic schools had AMSA representation on their campuses.

i'm thinking about reviving our chapter but wanted to see what DO students thought. i think AMSA offers a lot of opportunities for medical students (allopathic AND osteopathic); however, i've gotten mixed reviews from students at my school. some think we, as DOs, should be "loyal" to the AOA and focus our efforts on SOMA. i think, having both, would create more opportunities for student involvement.

do you think having both chapters is redundant? any thoughts?

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 26, 2003
    Ohio or Texas
    home.earthlink.net
      Almost all of them.

AMSA prides itself on being both DO and MD friendly. In fact many of the higher ups in AMSA are DO's.

The AMSA Chapter at DMU has over 150 members between the 1st and 2nd years, we are currently planning a conference for the midwest region in April to be held here!

AMSA is the club I am most active in and personally I think it is better controlled and has better oportunities than SOMA.

About the Ads

sophiejane

Exhausted
      Moderator Emeritus
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 18, 2003
      Waco, TX
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        TCOM!...large membership (due to the free Netter offer, most likely), and a small but dedicated group of workers that keep it afloat.

...although sometimes it's more like swimming upstream in the very conservative right-wing river that is Texas....

chilipina

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 10, 2001
        boston
          THANKS to everybody!
          do any of you mind sharing what projects your chapter is involved in? how is it different from the SOMA chapter at your school? do they have different goals? (other than the osteopathic awareness)

a few of us will be drafting a proposal and will need to present our case ---- why we want an AMSA chapter at an osteopathic school. i have my reasons.... but the bigwig old school COMP alums that will be on the board, listening to our case.... and will probably try to poop on our endeavor and argue the why-have-an-allopathic presence on a DO campus issue..... i know AMSA is DO-friendly... but it still is an AMA baby.

you all rock. thanks for the imput.

texdrake - u seem to be pretty involved in your organization. any advice as to how we should get this off the ground? by the way.... how much is membership? apparently funds was a big reason why AMSA disintegrated at my school.... too many clubs to join.... not enough dinero..... peace.

AMSA.DMU

15+ Year Member
          Jul 25, 2003
            I am glad that you are interested in restarting AMSA at your school. Although both AMSA and SOMA are very active on the hill in terms of lobbying for various political issues pertinent to the medical profession (eg. malpractice insurance, etc.), AMSA covers a broad range of issues/areas. A common misperception is that AMSA is AMA affiliate. This was true probably about fifty somewhat years ago. AMSA is a solely student run organisation that is COMPLETELY independent of AMA. In fact, you'll find that AMSA often takes very different positions from those taken by the AMA.

Since there are so many areas within AMSA, it is difficult to advise what you should focus on. The National AMSA Strategic Priorities right now include fighting for Universal Healthcare coverage, improve medical education, decrease barriers for medical school admission for qualified candidates (eg. tuition hike issues), etc. There are Action Committees in Advocacy, Health Action, Hunmanistic Medicine, and so on natioanally and locally to address these priorities. There are many more opportunities in the organisation. Please visit www.amsa.org for more information. As a local chapter, it is up to you to decide what area you want to focus on. There is tonnes of resources available nationally and regionally to help you out.

Cost....Well, this is kinda complicated as well. Usually students pay two fees to join AMSA, one National fee and one local Chapter fee. The National fee is usually $65 and the local fee is completely up to you guys. However, you do get a free Netter book when you sign up during orientation. Essentially, it's free to join National. The Chapter fees do vary from place to place. Some of my colleagues charge almost the same amount as the National while others charge a lot less.

Hope this helps!

-DMU AMSA

AMSA.DMU

15+ Year Member
            Jul 25, 2003
              I am glad that you are interested in restarting AMSA at your school. Although both AMSA and SOMA are very active on the hill in terms of lobbying for various political issues pertinent to the medical profession (eg. malpractice insurance, etc.), AMSA covers a broad range of issues/areas. A common misperception is that AMSA is AMA affiliate. This was true probably about fifty somewhat years ago. AMSA is a solely student run organisation that is COMPLETELY independent of AMA. In fact, you'll find that AMSA often takes very different positions from those taken by the AMA.

Since there are so many areas within AMSA, it is difficult to advise what you should focus on. The National AMSA Strategic Priorities right now include fighting for Universal Healthcare coverage, improve medical education, decrease barriers for medical school admission for qualified candidates (eg. tuition hike issues), etc. There are Action Committees in Advocacy, Health Action, Hunmanistic Medicine, and so on natioanally and locally to address these priorities. There are many more opportunities in the organisation. Please visit www.amsa.org for more information. As a local chapter, it is up to you to decide what area you want to focus on. There is tonnes of resources available nationally and regionally to help you out.

Cost....Well, this is kinda complicated as well. Usually students pay two fees to join AMSA, one National fee and one local Chapter fee. The National fee is usually $65 and the local fee is completely up to you guys. However, you do get a free Netter book when you sign up during orientation. Essentially, it's free to join National. The Chapter fees do vary from place to place. Some of my colleagues charge almost the same amount as the National while others charge a lot less.

Hope this helps!

-DMU AMSA

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.