Any docs take public transportation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any resident or attending physicians take public tranportation to work? I realize in most places the schedule isn't conducive, so I'm thinking of big cities with subway systems mainly.

A couple more questions. If you drove, would parking be free or would you have to pay? Is this the make/break factor in whether you drive or not?

Are you recognizable as a doc? (scrubs, lab coat, etc.) Do people ever bug you? Does this factor into your drive/ride decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Urban hospitals often don't have enough parking, or charge you for it, so its really up to you to decide whether parking costs, tolls, time in traffic, etc. are worth the benefit of having your car and not having to rely on someone else's time schedule.

I have occasionally worn my scrubs and kept my coat in my bag, but only if I'm running late --- it looks horrible and besides, you get dirty. Infection Control doesn't like it when you wear scrubs from home into the hospital anyway. I would just change when I got to work to avoid the strange looks I would get on the subway.

A friend of mine doing FP in NY takes the subway everyday for 40 minutes each way to get to his hospital and back to his house.

I dont know if I could do the same!!

I take public transportation to work in Houston. Everywhere else in Houston has free parking except the Med Center - and I refuse to pay $10 a shift for parking.

So yeah, I wear my scrubs on the train or bus (depending on where I'm coming from) and I once wore my white coat. I didn't much like it when I wore my coat, but my backpack was full. Wearing my white coat felt funny. But I don't work in the OR, so slightly dirty scrubs don't really matter.

Which is good.