any european schools accredited in cali?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moldovanits

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can i come back to cali practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, however, as of now they are all 6-years in length.

In Czech Republic

Charles University, First Faculty of Medicine
This school's in Prague. There's a bunch of faculties of medicine at Charles Uni, and ONLY the First Faculty will allow you to practice in Cali. Like I said, 6-years long (no advanced standing; even if you have a Ph.D., you start from Year 1)

In Hungary

University of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Faculty of Medicine
This is in the town of Szeged. Good school (at least the Hungarian program, never really looked into the English program because the town is too small for me).

Pecs University Medical School
The problem with this place is that you have to apply through an agent. Agents charge you thousands of bucks to shuffle around your paperwork. As far as I know, it's the only Hungarian school that goes through an agent. It's probably a good school, but once again, the agent thing means I'd steer clear if I were you.

University of Debrecen Medical and Health Sciences Centre
This school is in the second largest city in Hungary; Debrecen. Huge student population, from what I've heard. Purported to have the highest amount of North American students in Hungary. They are the only Hungarian school that is allowed by New York to do more than 12 weeks of clinicals there. That's probably why it's so popular.

Semmelweis University Faculty of Medicine
Semmelweis is in the capital, Budapest. If I had to pick a Hungarian school, I'd probably go here, for the location mostly. All Hungarian med schools are excellent, and extremely difficult.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Look towards Poland. Jagiellonian in Krakow is close to Cali approval, or so I've been told by Pat Park of the Medical Board of Cali. This would be groundbreaking, making it the first Euro school to have a Cali approved 4-year and 6-year medicine program. I'd probably go to Jagiellonian if I wanted a 4-year degree. They require an MCAT and a BA/BS to get in. All the 6-year programs just require a HS diploma and an entrance exam.

Also, realize that in Europe they do not teach you in USMLE format. Exams are oral. Yes, that's right; oral exams. That scared me when I heard it, and would seriously make me reconsider studying there. If a professor doesn't like you, he can grill you on the most extraneous piece of info in the text and fail you. This is notorious in Hungary. Those who survive the first couple of years get a lot of respect because they are extremely well-versed in basic sciences.

Yes, however, as of now they are all 6-years in length.

In Czech Republic

Charles University, First Faculty of Medicine
This school's in Prague. There's a bunch of faculties of medicine at Charles Uni, and ONLY the First Faculty will allow you to practice in Cali. Like I said, 6-years long (no advanced standing; even if you have a Ph.D., you start from Year 1)

In Hunary

University of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Faculty of Medicine
This is in the town of Szeged. Good school (at least the Hungarian program, never really looked into the English program because the town is too small for me).

Pecs University Medical School
The problem with this place is that you have to apply through an agent. Agents charge you thousands of bucks to shuffle around your paperwork. As far as I know, it's the only Hungarian school that goes through an agent. It's probably a good school, but once again, the agent thing means I'd steer clear if I were you.

University of Debrecen Medical and Health Sciences Centre
This school is in the second largest city in Hungary; Debrecen. Huge student population, from what I've heard. Purported to have the highest amount of North American students in Hungary. They are the only Hungarian school that is allowed by New York to do more than 12 weeks of clinicals there. That's probably why it's so popular.

Semmelweis University Faculty of Medicine
Semmelweis is in the capital, Budapest. If I had to pick a Hungarian school, I'd probably go here, for the location mostly. All Hungarian med schools are excellent, and extremely difficult.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Look towards Poland. Jagiellonian in Krakow is close to Cali approval, or so I've been told by Pat Park of the Medical Board of Cali. This would be groundbreaking, making it the first Euro school to have a Cali approved 4-year and 6-year medicine program. I'd probably go to Jagiellonian if I wanted a 4-year degree. They require an MCAT and a BA/BS to get in. All the 6-year programs just require a HS diploma and an entrance exam.

Also, realize that in Europe they do not teach you in USMLE format. Exams are oral. Yes, that's right; oral exams. That scared me when I heard it, and would seriously make me reconsider studying there. If a professor doesn't like you, he can grill you on the most extraneous piece of info in the text and fail you. This is notorious in Hungary. Those who survive the first couple of years get a lot of respect because they are extremely well-versed in basic sciences.

interesting info are you Hungarian?

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting info are you Hungarian?

No problem, I've been looking into Euro schools for a pretty long time. Still not sure if I want to practice in the US or abroad.

And nope, not a Hungarian, although Budapest is one beautiful city. What makes you want to go to med school in Europe, just curious?

No problem, I've been looking into Euro schools for a pretty long time. Still not sure if I want to practice in the US or abroad.

And nope, not a Hungarian, although Budapest is one beautiful city. What makes you want to go to med school in Europe, just curious?

the life in Europe is amazing iam from their but live in la
it is too boring for me now, i want to try something new, new places.
plus European schools are easier to get into.

You from Moldova? If you are, then I assume you are fluent in Romanian. Usually I'd tell people to stay far away from Romanian English med schools, but the ones taught in Romanian are legit enough, if you stick with Cluj-Napoca or Carol Davila in Bucureşti. Plus, the programs in Romanian would allow you to practice in Cali, and are like 1/3rd the price of schools in the CR, Poland, or Hungary.

You from Moldova? If you are, then I assume you are fluent in Romanian. Usually I'd tell people to stay far away from Romanian English med schools, but the ones taught in Romanian are legit enough, if you stick with Cluj-Napoca or Carol Davila in Bucureşti. Plus, the programs in Romanian would allow you to practice in Cali, and are like 1/3rd the price of schools in the CR, Poland, or Hungary.

No i speak Russian only. it used to be the soviet union, but not a bad idea for the Romanian uni inst it 6 years though?

Yeah, 6 years; your only 4 year options are in Poland. However, supposedly the Univ. of Zagreb in Croatia developed a 6 and 4 year program in English specifically aimed towards US students with a USMLE-formatted testing system. Thing is, there website only lists that they have a 6 year, so I don't know if they did away with their 4 year program.

If you don't speak Romanian, like I said, don't bother with Romania. Also, most of these schools don't allow you to take federal loans, which means every year interest compiles. Even a cheap school will get real expensive real fast. Schools with federal loans (sorry this is just off the top of my head...) are:

Charles University in Prague
Semmelweis, Debrecen, Szeged in Hungary
Jagiellonian, Lodz, Gdansk, Krakow, and possibly Silesia & Lublin, although I'm not sure. There's too many Polish schools to remember.

I haven't done the math, but like I said, I think going to a federal loan-approved school is better than a cheaper, non-federal loan-approved place. You don't have all that interest building up with federal loans.

Yeah, 6 years; your only 4 year options are in Poland. However, supposedly the Univ. of Zagreb in Croatia developed a 6 and 4 year program in English specifically aimed towards US students with a USMLE-formatted testing system. Thing is, there website only lists that they have a 6 year, so I don't know if they did away with their 4 year program.

If you don't speak Romanian, like I said, don't bother with Romania. Also, most of these schools don't allow you to take federal loans, which means every year interest compiles. Even a cheap school will get real expensive real fast. Schools with federal loans (sorry this is just off the top of my head...) are:

Charles University in Prague
Semmelweis, Debrecen, Szeged in Hungary
Jagiellonian, Lodz, Gdansk, Krakow, and possibly Silesia & Lublin, although I'm not sure. There's too many Polish schools to remember.

I haven't done the math, but like I said, I think going to a federal loan-approved school is better than a cheaper, non-federal loan-approved place. You don't have all that interest building up with federal loans.
that makes alot of sense thanks for all the advice.
where will you be going decided yet?

that makes alot of sense thanks for all the advice.
where will you be going decided yet?

Planning on a US school, but have considered European schools because I might like to practice there one day and many countries let you study free if you can speak the language. If I ended up going to Europe, I'd probably go to Charles University First Faculty in Prague.

can i come back to cali practice?

You can go to practice in Ca after any medschool which is registered in FAIMER, but you have to pass USMLE steps and go through the residency, pass the boards, get Ca license, find the job - and you are there.
You have to do this even if you finish Harvard medical school ;)

You can go to practice in Ca after any medschool which is registered in FAIMER, but you have to pass USMLE steps and go through the residency, pass the boards, get Ca license, find the job - and you are there.
You have to do this even if you finish Harvard medical school ;)

No, this is not true.

If you don't believe me, check the official website:

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Recognized.htm

Do not misinform people...

I think the confusion and what Billy Sexcrime is alluding to is the fact that just because a school is listed in the Faimer directory and its name shows up in the Cali list of accredited schools, doesn't make everyone eligible for Cali license/residency. Most of the English language programs in eastern European countries are not Cali accredited save for the few schools that are specifically mentioned (currently a few of the Hungarian programs). For example, all of the Polish schools are Cali accredited, but that only encompasses the 6 yr polish language programs. None of the English language programs in Poland are Cali approved (although Jag & Poznan are apparently very close).

Do not misinform people.

I am a resident, and I have graduated from one of the schools in Eastern Europe ( listed in FAIMER AND in the list from the link you've provided). One of my fellow residents ( from the same country I am from and from the SAME medschool) has just got a CA license, one from Belarus and a Belarussian medschool is practicing in Ca after doing his residency where I am now.

Not even to mention that there are HUNDREDS of residents from Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Central Asia in CA programs now ( all of them finished medschools in their home countries) and thousands of practicing MDs in CA whose initial medical doctor diploma was issued all over previous Soviet Union and all Eastern Europe ( not only schools you mention).

CA license is a pain in a butt to obtain, but once you've gone through the hoops - you are the same as everybody else. Same is pertinent to so called "California Letter" - basically a permit for training license ( necessary to get if you want to apply for residency programs in CA).

BTW you didn't even CHECK the link you've provided - there is the list of ALL medschools from previous sovok as RECOGNIZED. The only very strange and very frustrating issue is - ALL medschools from all free independent 15 countries are listed under Russian Federation . My home school is listed TWICE - under it's old name which used to be during soviet era time and under it's current name in my country's section. FOR MOLDOVANITS - Kishinev medschool is there as well and it is in the capital city of Moldova. Though it is listed under Russian Federation as well.
So are the Baltic states medschools as well - I should call some of my friends, they will be furious, that medical board of CA is so uneducated in geography and modern history up to the point of being politically insulting.

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Applicant_Schools_Recognized.htm#U

Read what KluverB said if you are having trouble with the English language; we are referring to English-language medical schools within Europe. Many schools in Eastern Europe teach in English and their native language. 99% of the native language programs will have no problem getting a license in California (granted that they jump through the visa hoops). However, only a few English language programs are approved. I don't know how to make this any clearer to you.

Plus, what does "sovok," mean? Look at the list; it specifically says

"
Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California.
Should you have any questions please contact the Board's Licensing Program at (916) 263-2382."

So I have read the website; perhaps you haven't. Don't accuse me of misinformation when you yourself either

1) Don't know what we are talking about (English programs)
or
2) Don't read and research before you respond.

I think the confusion and what Billy Sexcrime is alluding to is the fact that just because a school is listed in the Faimer directory and its name shows up in the Cali list of accredited schools, doesn't make everyone eligible for Cali license/residency. Most of the English language programs in eastern European countries are not Cali accredited save for the few schools that are specifically mentioned (currently a few of the Hungarian programs). For example, all of the Polish schools are Cali accredited, but that only encompasses the 6 yr polish language programs. None of the English language programs in Poland are Cali approved (although Jag & Poznan are apparently very close).

Actually, Jag is Cali approved now (6 and 4 year programs). E-mail Pat Park if you are skeptical, she'll let you know firsthand. It is also fully retroactive, which is quite amazing; even Saba didn't get this.

................ but to be eligible for CA license it doesn't matter which language you were studying in while receiving MD diploma ( unless there are restrictions for English-speaking programs, which I haven't found).
I am sorry but you are, yet again, misinforming people - quite appallingly considering how many times the relevant information has been shoved right under your nose.
Please go back to the Cali. website, look again at the "warning" mentioned by Sexcrime - which you seem to ignore as a piece of unwelcome evidence which does not fit with your instant diagnosis. Then for a couple of examples of this look at Hungary and Czech Rep. - you will see that they have a few English language programs specifically mentioned. In the case of Cz these are not the only English language courses available there, but they are the only ones which have applied for Cali approval. Graduates of these other English courses are not eligible, but grads. from the parallel Czech course at e.g. Palacky are.
Before reiterating your absurdities please check if necessary with Pat Park of the Cali board -as others have done.

I do not refer to English-speaking ones, because the initial question from Moldovanitz was about any European medschool eligible for CA license and that's what I am stressing - ALL listed in CA website are ( and they are in reality) RECOGNIZED. Moldovanitz is a fluent Russian speaker, so information about ALL schools is pertinent for HIM ( and he was the one who asked the question).

Billy ( and you as well) are misinforming if you are referring only to English-speaking restrictions but generalizing for all. For any given medschool listed on the CA website from the territory of previous Eastern Block I can guarantee you there is no problem of getting CA license for any medical graduate if he/she passes steps, goes through the residency and then applies for the license ( actually DURING the residency as fro IMGs to be eligible for CA license you need 2 years of residency to apply).

But if you do not speak any of the languages and need to apply for only English-speaking ones, you are, probably, right, but as I already have told, since the original question from the person who is from Moldova ( as he states) was probably not about only English-speaking, USMLE-oriented medical schools, I tried to correct this part of the info.
There is one more advantage for anybody who wants to study abroad ( in a native language medschool, for 6 years) - you can apply there after high school, you won't need pre-med education.

Let's use our critical thinking skills here. He wants to go to medical school in Europe. He speaks English & Russian; so, he can go to English language programs or Russian language ones. However, please refer me to the part of this thread where he showed interest in a Russian language school. He never did.

He did, however, show interest in Romanian schools. He cannot speak Romanian. Therefore, he'd have to learn in English, and therefore licensing information about English programs are the only thing he should really be concerned about.

Everyone knows 99% of native language schools can practice anywhere in the US. However, almost everyone on these message boards that want to go to Europe want to study in English. You are playing with semantics here and are trying to argue pointlessly over this. I've already given all the correct information. I never gave any incorrect information. The link I provided shows licensed schools that teach in English & native languages as well. End of story. I never said going to the Ukraine, Belarus, etc. means you can't practice in California; only that you can't practice in California if you study in English there.