hippuppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2000
Virginia
Status
Attending Physician
Wondering if there are any Navy Anesthesia residents at NMCP, NNMC, NMCSD who could offer some insight into the programs. I am a Flight Surgeon who did an internship in surgery and interested in anesthesia.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
Wondering if there are any Navy Anesthesia residents at NMCP, NNMC, NMCSD who could offer some insight into the programs. I am a Flight Surgeon who did an internship in surgery and interested in anesthesia.
Read my post half way down in here...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=705756
If you are an above average candidate, you would probably be better off training at a good academic program as a civilian. If you want to be career, you may be able to get back in with the fap program, and get both more $ and better training.

hippuppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2000
Virginia
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for your advice. Your posts are very informative. I too am a realist.

I am a DO who graduated in the middle of my class of 180, did mediocre on my COMLEX 1, above average on II and III and haven't managed to acquire any published research.

I am near the end of my three year FS billet and by the time I start residency training I will have completed my 4 year HPSP committment.

My experience as a FS/GMO has been incredible and am sure it would help my application to civilian programs but without taking the USMLE (which I am not even considering at this point in my career), I am not sure how competitive I would be in the civilian world. I don't care about going to a top 10 anesthesia program (good thing I realize) but just want solid training at a respectable program.

I could apply to the navy programs as well as civilian programs but not sure how this works if I was to get accepted to one of the navy programs and still be waiting on the civilian match. Perhaps this is why they accept alternates.

The way I see it, if I want to do anesthesia I will most likely need to persue a Navy program, do my three years post residency billet and get out.

Any further advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

V/R