Navy Operational Medicine Wiki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flightdoc09

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BLUF: if you're an operational navy doc/PA/IDC, consider signing up for and using the OpMed wiki to help make your life easier. Link below.

Wanted to share this resource again, as it appears it is falling out of the gouge. Please spread it to other operational docs you know. I frequently hear people say they wish they knew about it sooner. And those that use it attest to how much it helped them.

It is not a medical resource (like UpToDate), but more of a medical admin resource that covers all the things related to the stuff you never learned in med school or internship (LIMDU, light duty, special duty exams, points of contacts at different MTFs, Genesis tips/tricks, how to set up an aid station, cold weather exercise gouge, AMALs, flight medicine/waiver specific information, gear/packing lists, mishap kit resources, etc. And it's not CAC restricted, so you can get it on your phone when you're on leave and your CO is asking you to send him special paperwork.

This is NOT for college/medical students, but for anyone that works with the fleet - primarily GMOs/OMOs/UMOs/flight surgeons, as well as operational PAs or even IDCs. I have had dentists sign up too, which is fine, but not a whole lot for you there. When signing up, please put your affiliation with military medicine, your billet, and your .mil email - but best to sign up with a civilian email for easy access to the confirmation email and in case you forget your password. I will not spam you. Also useful for individuals in other services at joint commands that take care of sailors/marines.



It's in wiki format, so anyone can add or edit gouge. Please let me know if you have questions.
 
Make your life easier? What's making my life easier is the plethora of AI driven products, like Doximity

Wikis? That's so 2010s.
Yeah, probably true. Supposedly the DoD is coming up with AI solutions that are authorized. Right now we were told not to use anything AI that takes data and synthesizes it (like scribes). Can use things like OpenEvidence though.

But I can tell you that this site made my life so much easier as a flight surgeon. I had it open and referenced it almost every time I was in clinic, I could pull up references on my phone away from a CAC computer, and I printed out pages to give to my CO on things like LIMDU/LD/medical boards/etc. And since it cites references, I could also call out marines when they were trying to say something that was against instruction.

Would be cool to turn it into AI somehow. But it also has phone numbers and contacts to different DoD/MTF resources, and that's a big reason why it's behind an account access.