1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

any filipino here?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by KM86, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KM86

KM86 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    where all my filipinos at? Most of them are in the RN thread huh. lol

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Leca

Dr. Leca Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    you're probably right

My half sister is a flip and shes an RN.

Pharmacists are mostly Asian aswell, But I'm a white boy from Portugal.

4. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hahahha, i can't beleive you asked that. haha

even more, i can't beleive i'm responding. not all filipinos are going to nursing. haha

5. AngelEyes82

AngelEyes82 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Filipino (or more accurately, FilipinA) right here.

Funny you should mention how everyone's over where the RNs are, though. While I was finishing my prereqs (which just happen to be very similar to the prereqs the nursing people have to take), people just automatically assumed that I was applying for nursing school as well.

I was just "Uhhh...no..." :rolleyes:

Nothing against nursing students, of course. They're great. I just got a kick out of it because it happened so many times. :laugh:

6. KM86

KM86 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

lol..are you in the pharmacy program already?

7. ForTce

ForTce Membership Revoked
    Removed

There's mostly vietnamese in pharmacy, you won't see any chinese or filipino. I guess there are not smart enough.

8. Phantom_Eclipse

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Wow, that's one of the most ignorant posts I've read/seen in a while! For those of us Filipinos who got in to a pharmacy school, I guess we should quit now. We aren't just smart enough. :rolleyes:

9. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    yeah man, don't make such ignorant comments. I'm tempted to come back w/ some vietnemese comments but i'm holding back. This SDN is all about open communcation to help each other get into the pharm field. I'll just leave it at that.

10. RyanRyan

RyanRyan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm filipino. From California and I'm applying to 5 CA schools and 1 AZ school.

Yeah I'm in the prepharm club and I think I'm the only filipino there, to be honest mostly everyone is vietnamese, like 20, compared to just one of me, and like 2 white people lol. I'm not sure about the rest but everyone else is Asian, oh and there's one african american.

11. Phantom_Eclipse

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Nobody was denying that there are alot of Vietnamese in pharmacy programs(there are about 10 in my class and I'm gonna be the only Filipino there). But, there is absolutely no reason to degrade other ethnicities for being well under-represented.

Around my area, most Pinoys are going for BSN/ADN. For every one that would go for pre-med, pre-pharm, or pre-dent, 20 would go for nursing haha! Hopefully, more of them will deviate from the norm.

12. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm... really? I didn't know so many viet people go into pharmacy darn! maybe i'm at a disadvantage now since i'm viet also.

13. pharmd4me@510

[email protected] druggist_2_be
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Eventhough I'm Viet, I agree with Scrubs Fan that Fortce's comment is ignorant. I think people go into a certain field becuase they want to be with their people. It makes them feel like they belong there. For me, I'm going into pharmacy for the chicks. LOL. There's a 3:1 ratio of females to males in most pharmacy schools. Man, that's wonderful!

14. KM86

KM86 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    speaking of smart, I think you meant to say *they are* not *there.* Maybe I'm wrong but correct me anyway. And making that statement you have just made is not smart at all or ignorant but dumb real dumb lol. Being smart doesnt have anything to do with pharmacy. It's science most of it are memorization, You need alot of hardwork and good memory to be in pharmacy. There are more problem thinking solving in mathematics than science. Even though mathematics is used in pharmacy but they are mostly basic.

15. blueclassring

blueclassring Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    filipino here. going to mwu-cpg. i think there is one other filipino girl going there too.

16. gds.

gds. Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm Filipina and I start at UIC this Fall. During orientation, I saw that there are a few Filipinos in my class.

I come from a family of nurses. I was a pre-nursing major when I started college but realized that it's just not my thing. I wanted to be in healthcare but just not in nursing.

It's kinda funny though because I got my first pharm tech job at the KMart where I was a cashier at because my store manager knew that I was taking pre-nursing classes. And here I am today :)

17. luckyPharmD.stu

5+ Year Member

-Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be smart enough to realize that your comment clearly offended other people in this forum.
    -I will agree w/ you that it takes determination and dedication, not just intelligence, to succeed in pharmacy school, including any other majors.

18. a504n

a504n Member
    5+ Year Member

That comment there shows how ignorant you are and that you definitely won't make a successful pharmacist with that attitude. I'm curious... have you been accepted to any pharmacy schools yet? With that kind of attitude, you definitely won't make it through the interview process, and not to mention your incorrect grammar... I sure hope you get someone "smart" to review your personal statement before you send it in. :rolleyes:

On a side note... just to let you know, the majority of the chemistry department at my school consisted of international Chinese students who received full scholarships to come to the US to study and do research for my school. All of my chemistry and organic chemistry labs were taught by Chinese students. One of my friends is an international Chinese student, and he received his masters in chemistry from China and from the US. He is majoring in medicinal chemistry. He applied to ten schools across the United States, and all ten offered him a full scholarship and offered to pay his living expeneses.

Why would those schools pay their tuition and living expenses to do research for their chemistry department if they weren't smart enough? :rolleyes:

19. ICA

ICA Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hello! Will be attending USC in the fall... didn't see (m)any other filipinos at the interviews, so I'm not too sure how many will be in my class. :confused:

BTW, I have many relatives that are nurses/aspiring nurses. It is a popular career choice among the Filipino community. Why? Beats me. My mom is a nurse and always wondered why I didn't just take up nursing. :rolleyes:

20. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You weren't aware of the quota system?? Only 20% of any pharmacy school class is allowed to have the surname Nguyen. ;)

21. pharmd4me@510

[email protected] druggist_2_be
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

You're kidding about this right, Biogoly? I'm a Nguyen too and if this is true, man, that sucks.

22. Phantom_Eclipse

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Man, I really need to patent and sell a sarcasm detector. I could make a killing around here :smuggrin: :D

23. AngelEyes82

AngelEyes82 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey KM86! Yup, I just finished my first year at SF. So I now call myself a "fake second-year". Else, a "first year in limbo". :laugh:

Hi Fortce. You know, while everyone is entitled to their opinions, perhaps you should be careful with comments like that. It's pretty hard not to take offense when someone tells you that your ethnicity (whatever it may be) is not "smart enough" to make it in a particular field. :rolleyes:

[email protected], if you're doing pharmacy for the girls, you are definitely on the right track. :laugh: Our class is about 80-85% female, I think. And a lot of my classmates are pretty hot. :D So can you imagine?! Brains + beauty! ;P lol. Unfortunately though, a lot of them are already spoken for. :laugh:

Seriously speaking though, it's true that Filipinos are an underrepresented group in pharmacy. However, that's not to say that the Filipinos who have decided to pursue the field aren't holding their own. :)

24. itsjoe08

itsjoe08 Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I just wanted to say hi to my Kababayan! =D Most of my filipino friends are either business or nursing majors so its nice to know there are other filipinos out there pursing careers in pharmacy!

Being mostly Filipino and part Chinese, I am really offended by this statement. Filipino and Chinese people may be underrepresented groups in this field, but that doesn't make us any less intelligent. I don't know who you are, but based on the fact that you post in these forums I am guessing you are a college student. I think it is so sad how an educated person like yourself can make such an ignorant conclusion based solely on a person's ethnicity.

25. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Blah! Theres too many of us.

26. Seveneighty

Seveneighty ego sum venenum
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Where all the whitebread pharmacists at?

Holla whiteys!

27. longnguyen

longnguyen Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    I've read a a few posts from him, I remember he's a student at Pittsburgh COP.

28. ForTce

Removed

Vietnamese pharmacists rule!! :)

29. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    1. In community chain store they were maniplating my cash register so that I can be suspended? Next target was Vietmaness who already graduate as bio major.They all knew we are headed to pharmacy profession. who did it?a person who already got pharm degree in piliphine and preparing board exam.
    2. This lady filipina who was same group as me in anatomy class.
    She was very good. I perceived she took it someplace else.
    Once she found out how hard I was working, try to isolate me within the group as much as possible. But I win at the end. Good thing always win at the end.
    3. This filipina pharmacist did what ever she could give me hard time, finally she got write up from the manager b/c she put me in store cash register with filipina store manager not in pharmacy area. She got complain all day with customer with no help.
    4. My ex 's ex girlfriend was filipina. He was helping her village. Once they found out I met his parents. They were distrubing the relationship by sneaking into the home, moving thing around like ghost present.

I work with many nationality-viet, china, eastern europ, hispanic, japan
    They are too busy to pursue their goal. They do not conern not much about others. If there are hard worker they appreciate those type of person.
    But what I find out from filipina was they screw up those type of people.

No one(HONESTLY NONE I put my hand on bible) ever did those type of incident behavior while I was working and in school, but only filipina. I was continually finding out same type of behaivor from them over and over again. I feel truly sorry what I exprience.
    My opinion. their jealous is overwhelm
    I am staying from them as much as possible b/c i do not want headach.

Exp from 2000~2004

30. PharmMnM

PharmMnM Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Don't a majority of filipinos go into Nursing?? It would be great if we had more filipinos in pharm school....they are cool.

31. I laugh. im a 12th grader in high school and enrolled in a Rx tech program right now and im a Pinoy , the only one in a class of 24. 20 of them being viet, and im on the top 1 of the class. im gonna be a licensed tech pretty soon after i take my ptcb test and will be applying to SC, UOP and UCSD's accelerated prepharm programs. so i suggest that you reevaluate your thinking about Filipinos because under representation DOES NOT equal below average intelligence.

32. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    the only one in a class of 24
    im on the top 1 of the class

You have to tell the truth. Not lie. This is one thing I do not like about very much. No reason to, others will evaluate how good you are, not yourself.

33. KM86

KM86 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

pakc that is very hard to believe... plus i think u are over exxagerating.. what u are saying is like saying all middle eastern people are bad because it was most of them who hijacked the plane 9/11. Just because ur manager is Flip and she bossed u around doesnt mean all flips are like that or just because ur classmate is better than u doesnt mean she tried to isolate u..how do u know they isolate u? how do u know Flipsisreppin is lying about his statement about him being 1 in class? this is what i mean about you assuming everything that u have no proof of. i think u judge too quick and you are judging too quick because maybe you are discriminating or hating?

34. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    does this stupid argument need to go on? i was kinda proud that there was a post asking about filipinos. but this sh#@ is dumb. and there's just ignorant people making ignorant comments. end it already.

35. ForTce

Removed

I LAUGH, HAHA!
    I started class last week, and I can confirm there is NO filipinos in my class! (16 Vietnamese students on the other hand!).
    Based on your numbers, about 4% of the filipino population would have a chance to get... the pharm tech license, I might be their boss in 4 years, haha! :laugh:

36. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is why California frightens me. The bizzare pharmacy culture that appearently involves a bunch of racist ass Asians. That and Scientologists.

But, seriously, I thought West Virginia was backwards and redneck. At least we figured out the whole "race doesn't intrinsically represent intelligence" thing for some time now.

37. DustinfromCA

DustinfromCA Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Maybe i'm just living with my head in the sand.. but I don't come across many rascist asians in CA. I'm hoping ForTce is just a ******ed exception who takes out all his pent out anger on an internet forum.. :confused:

38. longnguyen

longnguyen Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pharmacy Student
    That's sad but so true, there are 27 vietnamese students in P1 this year.
    There's also many indian students (9 Patels!)
    However, no Filipino in P1. I've seen a few in the nursing program though.

39. a504n

a504n Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't find there are many racist Asians in this country. It is just ForTce is one of the few ignorant racist Asians out there that is making Asians seem racist, but really most of them aren't. You can't judge a whole race because of one ignorant person who tries to make his race seem superior to others.

40. a504n

a504n Member
    5+ Year Member

I agree with you. ForTce talks all this **** on internet forums, but I bet you he wouldn't make those comments to others in person. If he does, one day he will come across the wrong person, and he will learn his lesson the hard way. I would hate to have someone like him to be my pharmacist.

41. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I sew numerous pharm tech, LVN, RN & employees in sav-on, rite-aid, staples, office depot. where are all those doctor, pharmcist, dentist & lawyer ???

When they have time on thier hand, they screw....

She is hard worker with 4.0 GPA. Leave her alone. We all start from begining. Who do you think to have more advantage? People who are more exposed to US culture.
    But somehow they do not know how to utilize this advantage. Just sit behind keeping on telling others dumb, ******ed.

Wish you good luck all.

My mother's associate put $$$$$$$ to build a school in philipine.
    That is what human being should establish.

42. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    can we just switch topics and put this forum on a positive note?

Yes, a lot of filipinos go to nursing. I also know a lot of filipinos that go into engineering. And there are a lot of filipino people in the post office. We're all over the place. As immigrants, we (or the generation before me) already knew english pretty well before coming to the US and so those people didn't have to congregate in little asian towns, such is Chinatown or Little Tokyo, or Little Saigon. We barely got a sign in Los Angeles pointing out a historic Filipino town barely a month ago. Anyway, my point is that i'm fairly certain you can find filipinos in any profession, partly because overcoming the language barrier was a little bit easier because they teach english in the philippines.

Anyway, i ramble.
    Hopefully if things go well, I'll get into a pharm school and add one more filipino person to the demographics. Good Luck all.

43. Scrubs Fan

Scrubs Fan Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

well, just because you SAW filipino people working as techs, LVN's, RN, and other clerks at those stores, doesn't mean that's all they can do. At most, you might go to 3 different savons, rite-aids, in your area. That doesn't represent the whole country.

And since when did lawyers and doctors work in savon or rite aid? in fact, when did staples or office depot put pharmacies in their stores?

And tell your mom's associate thanks for sending money to build the house. My cousin Kuya Boy appreciates it.

44. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    keep it civil, please, folks.

45. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You have to play the fair game rationally
    It is not your will wether you want more or less.

46. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You can be like that within your boundaries.
    Please do not bring it out. B/c there were no rational. I had to list
    All are rational excpet one.

47. pakcw

pakcw Keton
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Your welcom I tell my mother's asso.

48. KM86

KM86 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    pak what is ur nationality? because you sound real stupid lol...what do u mean by flips working as RN and not doctors? being RN is not easy as u think lol. in a university out of all 300 who applys in the program they only pick 40...its a 4 yr program just like the pharmD program...i dont see any of ur race being a pharmacist either...ur race usually just work at 7-11 or krausers or gas station lol....but yea fortce is not as stupid as u though fortce is not thattttttttt stupid he is racist and a racist person usually think their race is the better than everyone. i didnt even know vietnamese people are in the pharmacy field? maybe in cali area only...i thought vietnamese go for nail or hair dressing something like that. i always see them do real good nails at the mall...my girlfriend used to have vietnamese do her nails..they look nice..lol

49. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :barf: Someone stick a fork in this thread...I think it's done.

50. how many pharm students work as techs? out of highschool? getting used to the environment of in-patient Rxs? honestly your boss? you wont be the only pharmacist in the pharmacy. hospitals average 4 at the least depending on how big the hospital is and whether or not they have satelite pharmacies throughout the levels

51. ForTce

Removed

The reason why there is much more Vietnamese doctors, pharmacist, dentists, lawyers is cultural.
    Vietnamese parents tend to push their children to become a professional.
    This is typically Vietnamese, and you will never see this in any other cultures in Asia (beside Japan).
    That's why you barely see Filipino doctors, lawyers, or pharmacists. You really have to visit 100 different pharmacies to find one!
    http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2004/12/05/vietnamese_girls_torn_between_new_world_tradition/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.