any filipino here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why there is much more Vietnamese doctors, pharmacist, dentists, lawyers is cultural.
Vietnamese parents tend to push their children to become a professional.
This is typically Vietnamese, and you will never see this in any other cultures in Asia (beside Japan).
That's why you barely see Filipino doctors, lawyers, or pharmacists. You really have to visit 100 different pharmacies to find one!
http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...amese_girls_torn_between_new_world_tradition/

Being a Vietnamese myself, I agree with you that Vietnamese parents do tend to push their kids into being a professional or atleast be somebody. This is due to the things that we had to go through because of the war. As a result of the war, Vietnamese people had to suffer in poverty. Most of us have probably heard of the term "boat people". I was one of them. At the age of 8, I had to escape Vietnam in a boat that could barely fit 20 people, not knowing if we were going to make it out of there alive. Fortunately, we did. So as a child, my parents would always tell me to do well in school--be a doctor, a lawyer or an engineer (the 3 most popluar professions Vietnamese parents talk about. If you're Vietnamese, you were probably told the same thing as a kid). Vietnamese parents have seen the worse because of what the war had done to our country and this is why they push their kids to work hard in life. They don't want their kids to go through what they have had to go through. As an adult, having been through what I have, it makes me work harder, as I know what it feels like to be poor and given the opportunity to succeed in life in the U.S, I can't let it slip away.

Why do so many Vietnamese go into pharmacy? I don't know, but I think trend has something to do with it. In other words, monkey see, monkey do. Just like the nails thing. It started out slowly, a nail shop here, a nail shop there. Next thing you know, every Vietnamese has a nail shop or knows of another Vietnamese in that business. This is not only with Vietnamese, but with other nationalities as well: Indians and 7-11 or Subway, Cambodians and donut shops, and yes,
Filipinos and nursing. It has nothing to do with intelligence; we're just copycats

Members don't see this ad.

The reason why there is much more Vietnamese doctors, pharmacist, dentists, lawyers is cultural.
Vietnamese parents tend to push their children to become a professional.
This is typically Vietnamese, and you will never see this in any other cultures in Asia (beside Japan).
That's why you barely see Filipino doctors, lawyers, or pharmacists. You really have to visit 100 different pharmacies to find one!
http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...amese_girls_torn_between_new_world_tradition/

I am Chinese, however both of my parents were born and raised in Vietnam. They speak Chinese, Vietnamese, and English and they even look Vietnamese. I was born and raised in America. I am more Americanized than Asian, I can't even speak my native language. My parents raised me similar to that article, but that does not mean Viets are intelligent and other races aren't. It's just they work harder. I'm pretty sure Filipinos and any other races can be doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. if they just set their mind to it and put forth the effort. You are right, you see more Vietnamese than Filipinos in pharmacy school, but that's because their parents pushed them to work hard and graduate from college. Not because they were born with intelligence and are superior to other races. You speak as if 100% of the Vietnamese culture is intelligent and graduate from college. I know many Vietnamese people who only graduated from High School and quit. Some tried undergradate school and ended up dropping out. You shouldn't put down other races by saying they aren't intelligent just because thier culture doesn't push their kids as much as the Vietnamese culture does. How about the Caucasians that out number the Asians that are doctors, engineers, attorneys, etc. You don't see them going around bragging about how they are more intelligent than other races. Look at Einstien, Newton, Plato, etc. They aren't Asian. Where are the famous Asian geniuses at that out number other races if they are more intelligent than others? My point is that intelligence and success all boils down to the person himself, not his race. If one is determined to be successful and fulfill his goals, he can do it. Stop trying to put other races down based off of what you "see". What you are seeing is not reality.

My...shiny, happy people here aren't we?

Or not. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Chinese, however both of my parents were born and raised in Vietnam. They speak Chinese, Vietnamese, and English and they even look Vietnamese. I was born and raised in America. I am more Americanized than Asian, I can't even speak my native language. My parents raised me similar to that article, but that does not mean Viets are intelligent and other races aren't. It's just they work harder. I'm pretty sure Filipinos and any other races can be doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. if they just set their mind to it and put forth the effort. You are right, you see more Vietnamese than Filipinos in pharmacy school, but that's because their parents pushed them to work hard and graduate from college. Not because they were born with intelligence and are superior to other races. You speak as if 100% of the Vietnamese culture is intelligent and graduate from college. I know many Vietnamese people who only graduated from High School and quit. Some tried undergradate school and ended up dropping out. You shouldn't put down other races by saying they aren't intelligent just because thier culture doesn't push their kids as much as the Vietnamese culture does. How about the Caucasians that out number the Asians that are doctors, engineers, attorneys, etc. You don't see them going around bragging about how they are more intelligent than other races. Look at Einstien, Newton, Plato, etc. They aren't Asian. Where are the famous Asian geniuses at that out number other races if they are more intelligent than others? My point is that intelligence and success all boils down to the person himself, not his race. If one is determined to be successful and fulfill his goals, he can do it. Stop trying to put other races down based off of what you "see". What you are seeing is not reality.

his mind is stupid thats why hes thinking like that he will eventually learn but not right now lol... but anyway i was just wondering how can u tell the difference between a chinese and vietnamese? because u said ur parents look more vietnamese than chinese..i thought they almost look the same.

One of the most stupid threads I've ever seen. The question and comments have pretty much nothing to do with pharmacy or pre-pharmacy. I hope bananaface is on her way to close it.

There's mostly vietnamese in pharmacy, you won't see any chinese or filipino. I guess there are not smart enough.
Must you be smart to get into pharmacy school? I know tons of people who aren't too smart in pharmacy school.

I'm an Korean, and Asian parents EXTREMELY hope their children to get a professional job.. Women are looking for a man who is a doctor or a lawyer.. Where is my ideal woman who loves me, not my job??

Status
Not open for further replies.