any foreign dentist with advanced standing in your class at univ of maryland ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godbless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
do you know by any chance if you have a classmate who is a foreign dentist and is doing advanced standing dds in 2nd/3rd year at university of maryland dental school????
i am a foreign dentist and have applied for advanced standing dds to maryland but they dunt tell until the end if they have a spot or not or even when they will find that out.........
i am very desperate to get in this school only as i live in maryland and i am married, my husband also went to maryland n graduated in 2002 and is in dental practice now.
please guys if anyone knows anybudy in their class or senior class who is a foreign dentist with advanced standing or if you have any info abt it ,please lemme know, this will help me a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

How would hearsay on a chat board help you? The choice to admit someone is still up to the dental school.

This may come as a shock to you, but all the other applicants who applied probably have as much of a desire to be admitted as you do. The dental school does it's best to accept those who are well rounded and a good fit for their school.

Re-read your post. Getting into dental school - a life or death issue . . . does that sound well rounded to you? Being accepted is privilege, not a right. If it were a right, all 12,000 applicants would be accepted on their first attempt. Like the previous poster said, I think you need some perspective. If you have a husband who is a dentist and you have health, food, shelter, family . . . then you are far from being in a life or death situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am happy many people dunt have life and death issues in their life..........and that they are surprised or rather aggravated to find that it can be a serious issue for some others like me........i am happy for you,but you might give others benefit of the doubt.this is a serious issue for me.
i am just trying to see if there are any foreign dentists in maryland.
thanks though .

Why don't you apply to the regular DMD program like everyone else?

Your degree from wherever your from is NOT valid, you can always go for another career or you can go for a phD or MPH.

Why don't you apply to the regular DMD program like everyone else?

Your degree from wherever your from is NOT valid, you can always go for another career or you can go for a phD or MPH.

Oh come on guys, don't be jerks to this girl. She's just trying to immigrate to the US and continue her career as a dentist. As a FTD, she already has been through 4-5 years of dental school, so treat her with some respect. Believe it or not, she deserves it. It is quite difficult for a professional to be told they have to go back to school because their degree isn't recognized for licensure. Put yourselves in her shoes.

Frankly godbless, I have to say this really isn't a Life or Death issue, though. If your concern is being away from your family, I suggest you make a deal that they move with you to where ever you get accepted. You will be there for 2-3 years in Advanced Standing anyway. Part of your deal can be that as soon as you are done with your DDS/DMD, you guys can move to where your husband wants to set up practice. Quality of life needs to factor into your decision here.

Also, the thing to do is to call up the Dean of Admissions and speak with them respectfully about your situation. Ask him if he could give you a tour of the facilities and tell you more about the program. Explain to him your family situation, and ask if they have any provisions for FTD's.

As you can see by some of the previous repies, an idiot is born every day on SDN - so don't rely on this message board for your direction.

Hang in There!!!

Oh come on guys, don't be jerks to this girl. She's just trying to immigrate to the US and continue her career as a dentist. As a FTD, she already has been through 4-5 years of dental school, so treat her with some respect. Believe it or not, she deserves it. It is quite difficult for a professional to be told they have to go back to school because their degree isn't recognized for licensure. Put yourselves in her shoes.

I'm not an FTD, but from reading the Int'l Dentist forum here, it is very apparent to me that there are many many FTDs who would love to have just one acceptance to any international dentist program here in the US. The OP already has an acceptance to one of these programs and has told us her husband is a practicing dentist in a different state and would rather have an acceptance to a different school. That's nice to wish for and maybe it will work out for the OP since many qualified people get into more than one program. But I'd think there are a lot of qualified FTDs who would take the one acceptance the OP has, count their blessings and luck that it's a 2 year program and they get to practice dentistry, and not beg for more. It just sounds like someone playing the "But I'm married" card which is a lifestyle issue that shouldn't be a part of any committee deciding whether you get to train in an international dental program, regular dental school, or residency just because of the location.

I'm not an FTD, but from reading the Int'l Dentist forum here, it is very apparent to me that there are many many FTDs who would love to have just one acceptance to any international dentist program here in the US. The OP already has an acceptance to one of these programs and has told us her husband is a practicing dentist in a different state and would rather have an acceptance to a different school. That's nice to wish for and maybe it will work out for the OP since many qualified people get into more than one program. But I'd think there are a lot of qualified FTDs who would take the one acceptance the OP has, count their blessings and luck that it's a 2 year program and they get to practice dentistry, and not beg for more. It just sounds like someone playing the "But I'm married" card which is a lifestyle issue that shouldn't be a part of any committee deciding whether you get to train in an international dental program, regular dental school, or residency just because of the location.

I respectfully disagree with you here, as a married person whose wife is also a dentist. If an ADCOM has 2 equally qualified individuals, and one has strong family ties to the area, they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY consider that in their decision. If you disagree with me on this, I am sorry, but you are wrong. Flat wrong. Personal factors DO matter.

thanks jaybe,i am shocked by the response i got on this forum.i feel sad, some people are so harsh and have absolute no consideration for others' feelings.but anyways thanks for understanding, i appreciate one person's support.i am not looking answers on this forum anymore,next time i might just post on a thread that talks about tv shows, having a pet or a tattoo.......coz those threads get a better response.

I respectfully disagree with you here, as a married person whose wife is also a dentist. If an ADCOM has 2 equally qualified individuals, and one has strong family ties to the area, they SHOULD ABSOLUTELY consider that in their decision. If you disagree with me on this, I am sorry, but you are wrong. Flat wrong. Personal factors DO matter.

So let's say that after spending my whole life through dental school in Buffalo, I decide that I've had enough of the bad economy and crappy winters. I want to do my residency in Miami, and I want to practice in Florida because I spent some breaks and vacations there growing up, have lots of close friends there, and know it's where I want to live. I apply to residency and tell Miami honestly they are my #1. You also apply to Miami, but you are married and already live there and want to stay after residency. If we're both qualified, you get the spot because you're married and beat me to moving there? That's just discrimination to the single person. The best candidate willing to give the residency 200% should get the spot, not the one whose life will be more convenient.

How is this any different from having 2 equally qualified candidates for OMFS, but picking the single male over the married female because the female might decide to have a kid and wreak havoc on the entire residency schedule? No matter how much she insists in her interview she is 100% about OMS residency for the next 6 years, she loses behind closed doors when the adcom decides because of her lifestyle?

I know it goes on although it is technically illegal to ask your marital status in interviews.

So let's say that after spending my whole life through dental school in Buffalo, I decide that I've had enough of the bad economy and crappy winters. I want to do my residency in Miami, and I want to practice in Florida because I spent some breaks and vacations there growing up, have lots of close friends there, and know it's where I want to live. I apply to residency and tell Miami honestly they are my #1. You also apply to Miami, but you are married and already live there and want to stay after residency. If we're both qualified, you get the spot because you're married and beat me to moving there? That's just discrimination to the single person. The best candidate willing to give the residency 200% should get the spot, not the one whose life will be more convenient.

How is this any different from having 2 equally qualified candidates for OMFS, but picking the single male over the married female because the female might decide to have a kid and wreak havoc on the entire residency schedule? No matter how much she insists in her interview she is 100% about OMS residency for the next 6 years, she loses behind closed doors when the adcom decides because of her lifestyle?

I know it goes on although it is technically illegal to ask your marital status in interviews.

Sorry, but like I said, you are wrong on this one. Subjective assessment of personal issues is absolutely fair game in deciding admissions. In fact, there are very few OBJECTIVE factors that ADCOMs even have at their disposal: Nationally Standardized Test Scores are really the only one. Even GPA and class rank aren't truly objective because there is no way to standardize them nationally.

So, it is NOT discrimination against single, out of state applicants to consider an equally qualified married person's existing family ties to the given area when making a final admissions decision.

Examples of other SUBJECTIVE (and therefore "unfair" admissions criteria):
1) Letters of Recommedations (no way to standardize this one)
2) Community Service (how could we directly compare the relative value of disparate types of community service)
3) Student Government Activity (what objective calculus can be applied here to empirically assess different candidates involved in similar, but different roles in Student Government?)
4) Externships (Different places, different involvement levels, different experience obtained - impossible to "fairly" compare between 2 candidates)

Note that #1-4 are absolutely mainstream admissions criteria and are assumed to be fair in assessing an applicant's qualifications. But they are NOT quantifiable. Therefore they are "unfair" in the strictist sense.

Being married and having strong ties to an area is likewise NOT quantifiable, and therefore could be characterized as "unfair". But then we would also have to rule out #1-4 above in assessing our candidates. So, it is quite obviously foolish to say that unempirical aspects of a candidate's application, personality, and family situation are off-limits to ADCOMS.

More importantly, its quite arrogant and ethnocentric to treat the OP (godbless) as if she is unreasonable for having a strong desire to complete her Advanced Standing program in the same city where she and her familiy are living.

Thanks for showing, though. . . :)