Any Georgetown/Finch AP graduates please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousmed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am going to start the MS in Ap at georgetown or Finch....I'm just wondering if its worth it to list on my application. The only reason I'm saying this is b/c after talking with the director of 2 schools, i was told that these programs do not have great reps so it could adversely hurt my file if I have a lower gpa in the classes. However, whichever school I choose will obviously know that I'm doing that program so it won't be an issue if its on my AMCAS...Any suggestions whehter I should post? (I have posted my MPH already)

Members don't see this ad.

You were told that those programs dont have good reps? As far as Id heard Georgetown's is supposed to have a really good rep of being a strong program. It's really tough and competitive and not many make it thru. The AP at Finch on the other hand I believe has better numbers. The only thing I can think of for why you were told that would be because of the med school classes, if you dont do well in those then that kind of shows a lot of schools something. Otherwise I mean if you do well, what better proof that you can handle it?? Anyways...as for your question. Well I did the MIS program at Finch this past year (similar to AP) and I listed this on my app and then updated schools with my grades as they became available. Schools are going to be wondering what you're doing right now while applying so you might as well tell them and avoid any complications. Especially since these are both "masters" programs. I dunno that's what Id do though. If you do well those grades can only help you....

Hey DesiMD, how many from your class actually got into CMS from the AP or MIS programs? Or how many seats do they hold for you guys? If you do'nt mind, what was your gpa and when did you interview (I know we have to shoot for a 2.96 but just curious as to what they are looking for)? Thanks a lot for everything,
Anxious

Members don't see this ad :)
in MIS there were 17 people in the class to start the year and 9-10 made it into med school. 7 at CMS, 2 (maybe 3) made it into school elsewhere. As an MISer you take 3 med classes and so you need to have a B average in those 3 classes to get in. I myself got straight B's in all of them. My total GPA Im not sure of because I basically had almost all A's in my MIS classes. I was only worried with my Med school GPA as that's all that mattered for us. Our interviews were at the end of May which was really rough since it was 2 weeks after our last final. However it was all worth since I went there with teh goal of getting into med school and I got in. Im still waitlisted at 3 other places (after not even getting an interview the year before). Im not sure if it was my early MIS grades, or my new MCAT score from last summer, or both which got me those interviews though. Im not sure what the final numbers were with the APs.

anxiousmed:
The Georgetown and Finch programs do not have bed repuations at med schools. I did the BU masters program--which is very similar to Georgetown program--and I never got any negative feedback from any of the med schools I interviewed at. I am not sure about Finch's program, but w/ Georgetown and BU's programs you take classes alongside the med students. If you do well, it shows you can handle the rigor of med school. If you do poorly it is one more strike against you. To do a program like this is an opportunity to redeem yourself, in a sense--either for a lower GPA or MCAT score, or cuz you applied previously without that many positive responses. So, if you are going to do a post-bacc program go in w/ the mentality that you are going to kick butt--I mean focus and know you are there for the purpose of improving your application to med school. This might mean not going out much or socializing, but doing well will certainly help your application and will make for a much easier time once in med school.

Also, if you are applying now to go to med school in 2003 and you are about to start a post bacc program, then you might not be giving your post bacc experience the optimal time to have its effects. Meaning that if med schools review your application in Sept, Oct, Nov--you have not even completed your first semesters worth of classes so they won't even take a look at your great grades that you have worked so hard for. Basically, I know a few people who did this, who could have had much more choice in where they went to med school had they waited a year, or they had to reapply the following year. It is a risk--just be aware.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Good luck :)

Oh just to add...the MIS numbers I gave are best guesses on my part. I know of at least 4 people (including myself) in the MIS that are in at CMS and 2 that are in elsewhere for certain. I only gave those numbers though because the MIS dept themselves tend to skew things a little when advertising the program to prospective students, so I just wanna make sure that any one interested gets the real info.

Oh and to add to what encee said...yeah at Finch you take med classes alongside the med students there too. Same class and everything. There are some places where you do this from a distance, but Finch is not one of them.

DesiMDHopeful-
what do you mean by the MIS dept "skews" the information when they present the program to prospective students?How are the numbers they present different from the ones you have given?
I keep hearing stuff about how these programs are out to get your money so any help would be great-
thanks for the input!

jintonic5: have you read the other CMS threads about the AP program? a lot was covered there alerady.

when i interviewed at VCU/MCV and EVMS, they didn't even know that i was an AP student at Finch. most of my buddies that interviewed elsewhere, echoed the same sentiments. but personally, i put down ALL the classes that i would be taking in my AMCAS transcripts part, and i told them that i was doing a Master degree prg at Finch/CMS.

and i do not think it's bad to mention that you are doing a post-bacch somewhere.

but...grad schools tend to have grad inflation. you HAVE to get As and Bs, or you fail out. (but no so at CMS. it is pretty hard to get straight As, or to boost your undergrad GPA).

as for my opinions on post-bacch schools. if you read their mission statements, they are not for people who applied to med school and did not get in. they are for people with weaker science backgrounds, or who did not finish all the pre-req's in undergrad, but want to now. so that, in my mind, made CMS a stronger program than BU or G'Town...which i'm sure, have better academic rep's. but the other thing is, CMS has a high success rate. it's pretty much GUARANTEED that you get into med school (CMS), if you get a 2.96GPA. so...when taking all the RISKS invovled, i think CMS is a pretty safe, easy, and GOOD bet. i was not willing to take the same bet with G'town or BU, though. that's why i went to CMS.

no one really can say how many ancillary grad students got IN, except for the director of admissions. we can only guess. but last year, it was like 45/65 people that are CMS students now, (and that's not including anyone that got in somewhere else). but if you call CMS, they can give you the numbers of past years. it's always around there....

and true, Encee, you cannot really help your app quantitatively....b/c your grades will not be in yet. and also, you will probably avg a 3.5GPA at CMS, which isn't really anything to brag about (only ONE person got a 4.0 in my class). but what it does help with, is what you can say...in your p-statement (oh...that's too late if you already applied, huh?), and your interview. i mean, it's one thing to say, "i want to go to med school", and another to say, "i DO go to med school...sorta...and i DO take ~real~ med school classes." and it's one thing to say, "i'm sure i want to be a doctor", and another to be, "i KNOW i want to be a doctor, b/c i have SEEN what it's like, and i know what med school will be like, and i got A's and B's in those classes so i KNOW i can hang, etc, etc". the proof is in the pudding. b/c we all know that EVERYone will be saying the same ****, and how they all "want to help people". doing a post-bacch at least gives you some credibility.

as for schools OUT to get your money. not true. i think of med school as a business. they are investing money in YOU, and training you. it's like if you had to pick ONE person that, in 10yrs from now, was the ONLY person that could give you medical attn, who would you pick? i'd tell you, i'd pick the highest #s, the highest GPA, and all that TOO! even though i was a bitter rejected pre-med that was bitching about "it's not all about the numbers". it's not. but then again, these schools are investing to train you, and if you fail out, if you don't pass Boards, etc, it looks bad on them.

same thing for post-bacch programs. it's a business. if it didn't work, who the hell would pay $33K in tuition at CMS to do it? and myself, Desi, the 45/65 kids last year, and the kids the year before that, and the year before that...they are all living proof that it DOES work.

but i think that the rumor/mystique that they are "out to get your money" comes from bitter students. believe me, i've heard a lot of it already. but i'll say this, and i already have. CMS is cut-throat and hard-nose. but they will NOT doing anything they did not already say they will. if you get a 2.95, sorry, go home. if you miss it by ONE question on ONE final. sorry, go home. but they already said that. and they say they do NOT budge for even .01%. lots of people miss out by ONE questino, literally, on ONE final. and it's sad.

but we all knew the rules beforehand. and it's like, CMS gets 80 new people DYING to take your spot, so they really have NO sympathy for ANYone. be it you missed by .01%, or if you missed it by 30%.

good luck....

Ha...once again FU sums it all up best. As for what I said about the MIS people skewing numbers. Well when I was looking into applying to these programs and I was told that 88% or so in MIS get into med school. THen I was given the very favorable number from two years ago. Last year (2000-01) on the other hand was not as successful yet that was kept quiet. I dunno...not a big deal for me because I still reached my goal and more than half my classmates did as well, and I dont know what affect that would have had on my decision, but I believe it's good to have all the info you can. While these programs are a way to make money for the schools though, they are also a 2nd chance for you the student. Regardless of what the school is getting out of it, it's a chance for you to get into med school.

Thanks for all your input guys. I commend your dedication and am glad you guys made it through. Do you think that since i'm retaking the August MCAT and since AP starts end of JULY, it will be a problem? Thanks

it will mos def be a probably. looking at the new schedule...Aug 17th will be the end of FallQtr at CMS. that means, you will have your first FINAL after that, in 4th week. and you will be taking those stupid STP pass/fail tests and a MCB and Genetics quiz in between there.

all not huge problems, but it takes up a lot of your time to keep up (genetics is one hr EVERY day), and you have to study. trying to take the Aug on top of that will just be heinous.

i would definitely not recommend it. it might be doable. it WILL mean that your MCAT prep will suffer, due to the horrendous first few weeks of the AP qtr. and if you take it not at 100%, you will wonder and you might have regrets.

but you gotta do what you gotta do. good luck.

bump for RNA LAdder...there's some good info on this thread

Well, I do not understand. does completion of this AP program give you a gauranteed acceptance at a med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
the admin will of course, say, "there is NO GUARANTEES". but every student/alum you talk to, will say, "it's GUARANTEED". of all the classes i've heard about, it's pretty much virtually guaranteed. but for obvious reasons, the admin of course has the right to refuse service and acceptance to anyone. so basically...unless you're a pyro or pedophile or serial killer...just get a 3.0 and you're set.

hours a day of class? c'mon now....

if you really want to know. <a href="http://www.finchcms.edu/students" target="_blank">www.finchcms.edu/students</a> the sidebar has a link, ClassSchedule. look up the AP term and you'll see what our schedule was for last yr. you might want to surf the site to see what the new AP cirriculum is though....since it is a bit different.

FU....CMS: there are no schedules there. Thay are sying that they are apdating this for the next year. How hours a day did you have classes?

my bad. they took down the links for the class schedule.

i'd say, about 4-5 classes a qtr. and depending on their units...it's about 3hrs a week of class for EACH class. some days are heinous...6hrs. some days are cake...1hr. it varies.

plenty of free time...but not likely enough time to work part-time.

54 APs got their degrees this year. 83 started, i think. 65 were still enrolled as the last quarter started. so pretty much, 54 people got IN to CMS med school as M1A's. not bad....

9 MIS'ers got their degrees...

buenos suerte

it would be neet to know if all 54 were accepted even though they passed the 2.96 gpa and go the degree. this would give a lot of insight into the guarantee, hey fu-cms, can you find out? thanks

i can't say for sure...nor can i find out.

but like i say: it is virtually GUARANTEED if you get a 2.96GPA, you WILL get your degree, and you will get IN.

(didn't you read all the other posts, dude? c'mon now...)

everyone i've talked to (my class, the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that one....), has gotten an acceptance IN to the Chicago Medical School with "advanced standing" after finishing and getting their AP or MIS degrees. so interpret that as you want.

ALL alumni of the AP prg will tell you it's guaranteed. the administration, of course, will say there are NO guarantees. but like the Dean of the AP prg said, "there were ENOUGH spots for ALL 83 AP students that started". so....take that as you will.

good luck. no one can hold your hand on this, and no one can make the decision for you. all these threads were WAYYYyyy more information than i had last year. and it worked out for me and all my classmates that passed. so...i hope it works out for you, too.

What sort of stats are average for you guys in the Finch AP program?