any good CHEMISTRY resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm good on o-chem, comfortable with physics, a bit shaky with bio (but know how to study for it)... it's just that gen chem is dragging me waaay down.

As in, doing practice passages/tests, sometimes I'll completely bomb the passage, or get over half of it wrong. Occasionally there will be a gen chem passage that relates somewhat to o-chem stuff I've done, and that'll go a bit better. But all the solubility stuff, colligative properties, what not is just like :cry:

Any suggestions? I'm using EK stuff now, and the 1001Qs for gen chem is definitely the one that takes the longest for me to wade through.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm good on o-chem, comfortable with physics, a bit shaky with bio (but know how to study for it)... it's just that gen chem is dragging me waaay down.

As in, doing practice passages/tests, sometimes I'll completely bomb the passage, or get over half of it wrong. Occasionally there will be a gen chem passage that relates somewhat to o-chem stuff I've done, and that'll go a bit better. But all the solubility stuff, colligative properties, what not is just like :cry:

Any suggestions? I'm using EK stuff now, and the 1001Qs for gen chem is definitely the one that takes the longest for me to wade through.

For chem, there is a book just on chem for the MCAT. I forget the published and author.

Any suggestions?

I'd proudly put the BR general chemistry books up against any textbook, MCAT review book, or learning guide out there. If you do a search, you'll find that people who have used our Gen Chem materials swear by them.

i know i got every single chem question right on the mcat (thanks to berkeley review)... physics is another issue :p but yeah, berkeley review will help you do well on PS in general

Members don't see this ad :)

Unsung, I'm pretty much in the same ship as you. My Chem 1 teacher was horrible, the class was full of people who took it because they had to, and It was my first semester of my freshman year. Basically, what I'm saying is I rode the enormous curve to an A in that class and I learned nothing. Because I learned nothing in Chem 1, Chem 2 was extremely hard (plus my 13-year old cousin died unexpectedly during the semester) so chemistry is almost like a foreign language to me. I've ordered a textbook (Chemistry: The Central Science, 9th Edition... which everyone says is glory), but it has yet to come. Until then, I've found some really good ways to successfully understand, and in essence, LEARN chemistry from EK.

First, buy Cliffs Quick Review for Chemistry. It's simple and concise, and it really helps to read the concepts in different terms or wording (Cost: $10).

Secondly, I've found a system that really helps me learn with EK.
First, read the chapter. Don't lightly breeze through it, but don't try to learn every word either. After that, go through it and summarize/take good notes for the chapter (I like typing them on my computer). Read over your notes, and you should be good to go.

Also, if you get stuck on a section, don't freak out. Close the book, take a few deep breaths, watch a short video on YouTube (or something similar for a 2-3 minute break) and then read the same section aloud; slowly and carefully. I find this REALLY helps me a lot. I just covered Vapor Pressure and I got really nervous and flustered, and this helped me really understand it.

And most importantly, take your time. If you need two days to do this, then take two freaking days. The methods above have helped me consistently score 10s and 9s on the 30 Minute Topicals in EK.

I need help here the most.

Was TBR better than most?

For sure... it was the best hands down ... know EK stuff too before hand though (it helped me)

especially stuff like acid/base chem (by far the best explanations ever), solubility, and redox stuff

those were my weakest sections .... they became my strongest. And when I say they have the best explanations, I'm not talking about the actual "review" text. The review section goes into more depth (which is nececssary IMO).. but isn't that much more different than other review companies... for example, after I read the review for acid/base chem, I don't think I understood any more than I already did.
I mean, how can you teach something properly without having the student "do" something.. right? Most review books only have a review section... and perhaps a couple of calculation based questions at the end that are pretty simple. But Berkeley Review has more .... great passages.

Now, doing the passages! That's where its all at. Going through them only once, I got acid/base chemistry down for good.

From my understanding, the passages were divided into 3 sections... the first set had "instructional" passages... meaning they were passage based questions... but they still attempted to teach you things. The later sections were more "MCAT-style" passages where they throw random stuff at you to keep you on your feet. For me, the first "instructional" sections were key.

When you start bagging questions on those later passages, you're like ****... I can do anything chemistry related the MCAT throws at me. Now I know I probably didn't get a 14 or a 15 on the MCAT's PS... but that's b/c of my weaker physics understanding.

- Just my 2 cents

(Also btw, on my MCAT, there was honestly a passage very identical to one in the Berkeley Review materials.. lol)

For sure... it was the best hands down ... know EK stuff too before hand though (it helped me)

especially stuff like acid/base chem (by far the best explanations ever), solubility, and redox stuff

those were my weakest sections .... they became my strongest. And when I say they have the best explanations, I'm not talking about the actual "review" text. The review section goes into more depth (which is nececssary IMO).. but isn't that much more different than other review companies... for example, after I read the review for acid/base chem, I don't think I understood any more than I already did.
I mean, how can you teach something properly without having the student "do" something.. right? Most review books only have a review section... and perhaps a couple of calculation based questions at the end that are pretty simple. But Berkeley Review has more .... great passages.

Now, doing the passages! That's where its all at. Going through them only once, I got acid/base chemistry down for good.

From my understanding, the passages were divided into 3 sections... the first set had "instructional" passages... meaning they were passage based questions... but they still attempted to teach you things. The later sections were more "MCAT-style" passages where they throw random stuff at you to keep you on your feet. For me, the first "instructional" sections were key.

When you start bagging questions on those later passages, you're like ****... I can do anything chemistry related the MCAT throws at me. Now I know I probably didn't get a 14 or a 15 on the MCAT's PS... but that's b/c of my weaker physics understanding.

- Just my 2 cents

(Also btw, on my MCAT, there was honestly a passage very identical to one in the Berkeley Review materials.. lol)

Sorry, bozz

I was more interested in the Physics. I am pretty strong in chem. I am a second year PharmD student. But, I really hate physics and it does not come natural.

But, I could always use a little chem help to make up for some of the Physics, lol.

Thanks, for the informative reply. I should have been more clear in my question.