Any good literature to understand the American health care system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrielm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good literature that could give a reader an understanding of the American healthcare system? Perhaps literature that gives an overview, problems with the system, the future of the system, etc. I have searched the forums and noticed that most of the threads were started in the early 2000's and was hoping someone could provide more recent material. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good literature that could give a reader an understanding of the American healthcare system? Perhaps literature that gives an overview, problems with the system, the future of the system, etc. I have searched the forums and noticed that most of the threads were started in the early 2000's and was hoping someone could provide more recent material. Thank you all!

Don't read anything by Zeke the idiot.

I firmly believe to understand the present you have to know how we got here in the first place. The current healthcare debate is not about tweaking a working system. It's about questioning truths.

The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry by Paul Starr. (Won the Pulitzer)

Don't read anything by Zeke the idiot.

I firmly believe to understand the present you have to know how we got here in the first place. The current healthcare debate is not about tweaking a working system. It's about questioning truths.

The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry by Paul Starr. (Won the Pulitzer)

Are you talking about Ezekiel Emmanuel? I have his book Reimventing American Healthcare and as of yet haven’t gotten further than the first chapter. Is his stuff not any good?

Members don't see this ad :)
you could try America's bitter pill by steven brill....really breaks down the conception, implementation and the future of the ACA. also if you want to read a more negative book about US healthcare then you could try An American Sickness by Elisabeth rosenthal she is a harvard MD who was at NYU until she couldn't deal with the structure and inefficiencies of healthcare in America

Like any good Chicagoan, I'm no fan of the Emanuels, but calling that article "anti-physician" is hyperbolic at best.

Yes. There are better examples.

One of my favorite reads was The Healing of America by T.R. Ried

Compares different healthcare systems across the world

If you want to reaaaaaally learn the American healthcare system...

Read the Affordable Care Act. All of it.

Jk, tho.

Social transformation of american medicine by Paul Starr, followed by remedy and reaction by Paul Starr and then america's bitter pill by Steven brill

Current MPH candidate here that is graduating in December. Here are some of the books I have had to use for my courses. They were both updated after the passage of the PPACA.

This book gives a great overview of the healthcare system and its many programs and organizations.

Here is one that is fantastic for understanding the politics of healthcare.

On another note: I really hope I didn't spend thousands of dollars on my education just to have to unlearn it all thanks to Congress.

(Edited for links)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user