Any good residency programs in German speaking countries?

Started by docjulian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docjulian

IMG someday
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I'm a med student from Germany and will graduate in about 1,5 years.
After spending two months rotating and working with plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern in Dallas, I have realized that plastic/reconstructive surgery is the only medical field that I can truly dedicate myself to.

I am currently in Orange County working with another plastic surgeon for about 10 weeks and I am planning on spending another 4 months here during my last year. I will also be the co-author in probably 2 publications, one is already accepted by ASJ I think.

However, I am looking for a good plastic surgery residency program in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Taking all those USMLE steps with uncertain outcome is too much of a risk when I could probably get into most of the top programmes in German speaking countries with my CV.

I assume that there must be some great programmes that also own a certain international reputation. Money or living near a lake is not that important to me, good education is. I am highly interested in breast and pediatric reconstructive surgery.
Of course I know that hand surgery is also important but I don't want to end up at a hospital suturing tendons all day.

I was thinking about putting this topic under the Europe section but I would love to hear from U.S. doctors, too.

Thanks!
 
Hi there,

I'm a med student from Germany and will graduate in about 1,5 years.
After spending two months rotating and working with plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern in Dallas, I have realized that plastic/reconstructive surgery is the only medical field that I can truly dedicate myself to.

I am currently in Orange County working with another plastic surgeon for about 10 weeks and I am planning on spending another 4 months here during my last year. I will also be the co-author in probably 2 publications, one is already accepted by ASJ I think.

However, I am looking for a good plastic surgery residency program in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Taking all those USMLE steps with uncertain outcome is too much of a risk when I could probably get into most of the top programmes in German speaking countries with my CV.

I assume that there must be some great programmes that also own a certain international reputation. Money or living near a lake is not that important to me, good education is. I am highly interested in breast and pediatric reconstructive surgery.
Of course I know that hand surgery is also important but I don't want to end up at a hospital suturing tendons all day.

I was thinking about putting this topic under the Europe section but I would love to hear from U.S. doctors, too.

Thanks!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x300857g16144831/

Check it out. I'm pretty sure you won't need to take any USMLE exams, and there is a German language track.
 
Thanks, really interesting.
But I'm bound to German speaking not because of language but because of family.