Any good sites for veterinary nursing math?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am now a sophomore in my veterinary technician program come this fall. Ever since middle school, math has always been my biggest weakness and it still is til this very friggin day. Now that my classes are much more intense and will include nursing math, I have been gathering the textbooks necessary and studying in advance, however, I am one of those people that need all the help they can get and then some. I am trying very hard but it is so frustrating for me and it really discourages me. I just want to become proficient at this, math makes me feel so stupid and I don't want to embarrass myself in class this year. (this is longer than it needs to be, but I'm very very frustrated and just venting)

With that being said, does anyone know any good sites, I can barely find any and I would like more resources than my textbooks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I am now a sophomore in my veterinary technician program come this fall. Ever since middle school, math has always been my biggest weakness and it still is til this very friggin day. Now that my classes are much more intense and will include nursing math, I have been gathering the textbooks necessary and studying in advance, however, I am one of those people that need all the help they can get and then some. I am trying very hard but it is so frustrating for me and it really discourages me. I just want to become proficient at this, math makes me feel so stupid and I don't want to embarrass myself in class this year. (this is longer than it needs to be, but I'm very very frustrated and just venting)

With that being said, does anyone know any good sites, I can barely find any and I would like more resources than my textbooks.

The only math I use is simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. And I always use a calculator and always triple-check myself because it's drug dosing and I don't want to mess that up. What other math are you expected to know..?

The only math I use is simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. And I always use a calculator and always triple-check myself because it's drug dosing and I don't want to mess that up. What other math are you expected to know..?

I would guess much of their "math" requirements are along the lines of translating a mg/kg dose into a volume...... Figuring out concentration changes ("You are asked to give 10 ml of 10% dextrose to a patient, and you have a bottle of 50% dextrose. Go.....")..... CRI calculations....

Some people really find that stuff hard. I don't know of any good resources, though.

Just Saturday I asked an interning tech student to give 10 ml of 10% CaGluc to something, and she really had no idea how to get from the 23% bottle in her hand (or whatever it was.....) to my desired concentration. Experienced techs had to intervene. Not very encouraging considering interning is the last step before graduation.

I think it's great the OP wants to make sure she can do the math. Wish I had some resource suggestions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just Saturday I asked an interning tech student to give 10 ml of 10% CaGluc to something, and she really had no idea how to get from the 23% bottle in her hand (or whatever it was.....) to my desired concentration. Experienced techs had to intervene. Not very encouraging considering interning is the last step before graduation.

I have to sit down and figure crap like this out on paper. I simply can't do it in my head. *shrug*

LetItSnow hit it on the head for the most part, I am supposed to know percent concentration calculations, reconstitution problems...etc...just sorts of technical math. The textbook is not in front of me so I am having trouble recalling. It is very exhausting either way, I don't feel confident at all about this, and I'm getting very angry. I'm gonna look stupid in class this semester.

I would guess much of their "math" requirements are along the lines of translating a mg/kg dose into a volume...... Figuring out concentration changes ("You are asked to give 10 ml of 10% dextrose to a patient, and you have a bottle of 50% dextrose. Go.....")..... CRI calculations....

Ah okay.