any guys @ bm or scripps postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uclabruin1920

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone! I'm wondering if there any men that have gone to the scripps or bm postbac programs, and if so, whether or not they felt uncomfortable attending a predominantly female college. I'm considering applying to these great schools but I just think it might be a little wierd...let me know your opinions and feelings on the issue. thanks!
 
LMAO--sorry, you're probably serious, but I have a feeling most guys would think that attending a predominantly female college would be totally awesome. 🙂
 
hey everyone! I'm wondering if there any men that have gone to the scripps or bm postbac programs, and if so, whether or not they felt uncomfortable attending a predominantly female college. I'm considering applying to these great schools but I just think it might be a little wierd...let me know your opinions and feelings on the issue. thanks!

Yes, I'm in the Scripps postbac program. It's just fine, although the program works through the Scripps Joint Science Department so all of the classes are coed. If you're not aware, there are four other Claremont colleges on the same campus and all of them are coed except for Scripps. The overall male/female ratio here seems to be right around 50/50 in my classes for the most part, and within the postbac class it ranges but the current class is close to 50/50.
 
The Claremont Colleges are Pomona, Claremont, Scripps, Harvey Mudd and Pitzer. The first four are in the top 30 or so of liberal arts and they're all adjacent to each other. The San Bernadino Mountains are up the street and both the beach and skiing are 30 min away. Also, the Mexican food is ridiculous. On Wednesdays Taco Nazo has dollar fish tacos and another place has dollar margaritas. I did my undergrad at Pomona so I'm hugely biased.

Almost all social events are open to everyone (i.e. 5-C). I'm deciding between Scripps for June '08 (I sent my app too late for Fall '09) and Mount Holyoke in the Fall. I'm leaning towards Scripps because I can audit courses at Pomona for free.

In anycase, you'll be living off campus, so the fact that Scripps is a women's school won't really matter unless you're a misogynist. Everyone is pretty laid back and there aren't very many militant feminists at all.