Any help with Summer research in ATL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brewmeistervi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 at the medical univ of SC, and I really want to do research in a surgical specialty during the summer btwn M1 and M2. I have a ton of basic research experience, but I would really like to get some medical research under my belt. Specialty-wise, I'm leaning towards ortho or surg. onc., but this early into the game, I'm just going to say that I'm interested in surgery.
Plus, I would like to do this research in Atlanta, GA. Does anyone know how to get the ball moving on this? There are tons of research opportunities there, and I really like the area. Are there any summer research programs I can be looking at?

I know a lot of you guys did something like this btwn M1 and M2, so I'm curious how you guys got the ball moving.

-brew

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cold calls is probably what you'll have to do.

Call up the med school office of student affairs (or whatever) and explain your situation and see if they'll help you get started. Otherwise, you'll just have to go down the list of surgery faculty and call/email them all until someone responds.

I helped do this for a friend, but neither in surgery nor Atlanta.

However, even if you do get someone at Emory there's a good chance you'll be doing a lot of work at Grady in downtown Atlanta. Just keep in mind the fact that faculty tend to be in places other than the home campus.

-X

Very true, but I guess maybe I'm confused as to what "medical research" in a "surgical specialty" means. Does the OP want to work in a bench lab studying the sheer stress of long bones and its effect on BMP or is doing a retrospective chart review of surgical outcomes something closer to what he/she wants? If it's more basic science, then Emory is the way to go. If you're more interested in "that clinical stuff" (as I like to call it :)), then you might be shoved into the janitor's closet at Grady peering over charts under a 30W bulb. ;)

-X

Well the labs are mostly at Emory - very few elsewhere.

Touche! :)

Hopefully the chart review will be of a patient at Emory or Crawford Long, and then it can all be done from any Internet-connected computer.

Where are you in Atlanta/Emory?

I'm more of a "hands on" person, so I'd much rather do bench work than chart reviews...