-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any hints for studying Occlusion?
Started by maryh320
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
maryh320 said:Hey,
anyone have any helpful hints/links for studying occlusion? I am having problem visualizing a lot of these concepts. If your school have a good website, I'd much appreciate if you can share it with me.
Thanks!
UOP class 2007
I remember occlusion from my dental school exploits before medical school, and there are two main types.
Centric occlusion is when you normally occlude
Centric relation is when while you are in centric occlusion, slide your mandible back as far as you can which is only a few milimeters. This is inportant especially when prothetics and orthodontics.
Go to http://www.doctorspiller.com/occlusion.htm
It will help
It will help
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't study occlusion. Most of your preps will be taken out of occlusion anyway. 😀
start with Peter Dawson's text, NOTHING ELSE or you will get screwed up, then YOU AND ONLY YOU can decide where you want to go from there. Trust me! been there done that.
I promise you will thank me later.
Kerry.
I promise you will thank me later.
Kerry.
H
HermeytheElf
Occulsion is a rather controversial topic. There are a number of different theories out there and odds are you will have several professors with different ideas about the way things should be done...my advice is some pretty standard dental school advice: Do whatever the hell your professor tells you and when you graduate learn to do it the right way. I tend to agree with kerrydds...I would say that when get that dental license and want to know about occlusion, read Dawon's book because the man knows what he's talking about.
ItsGavinC said:Don't study occlusion. Most of your preps will be taken out of occlusion anyway. 😀
well I dont have much choice but to study...we have a formal class called "Occlusion", where we have to know all the concepts..bennett angle and all that stuff.
thanks!!!dr_nice said:Go to http://www.doctorspiller.com/occlusion.htm
It will help
kerrydds06 said:start with Peter Dawson's text, NOTHING ELSE or you will get screwed up, then YOU AND ONLY YOU can decide where you want to go from there. Trust me! been there done that.
I promise you will thank me later.
Kerry.
Can you provide me with the title of the book? I can't find it on Amazon. Thanks!
H
HermeytheElf
maryh320 said:Can you provide me with the title of the book? I can't find it on Amazon. Thanks!
Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Occlusal Problems, 2nd Ed, C.V. Mosby, 1989
or if you're especially lazy:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0801627885/701-3496893-1031557
kerrydds06 said:start with Peter Dawson's text, NOTHING ELSE or you will get screwed up, then YOU AND ONLY YOU can decide where you want to go from there. Trust me! been there done that.
I promise you will thank me later.
Kerry.
I'll 2nd this one. This book is basically the Bible of occlussion and its concepts, with Jeff Okeson's book being a very strong compliment to Dawson's text.
This will give you a very solid foundation/education of the "classical" view (i.e. anatomical) of occlussion and centric relation. And while there is another big theory school of thought about occlusion that has eminated out of the Las Vegas Institute and Dr. Bill Dickerson that tends to look at occlussion from a different perspective (i.e. neuromuscular), the concepts taught in Dawson's book are a core of what Dickerson teaches as well.
On a side note, I will say that in the almost 2000 hrs of Continuing Ed that I have racked up since graduating dental school, that Pete Dawson's 1st course on occulsion has been probably the best I've seen, and well worth the 2.5 days in St. Petersburg, Florida.
P.S. as "cheesy" as it sounds, I even had Peter Dawson personally autograph my copy of his text when I went to his seminar - and no, by that point it wasn't brand new either 😉 😀
Hello,
While I was the professor at UT, I taught Fixed prosthodontics and Occlusion for D1 and D2 classes. Occlusion is a tough subject because it is "boring" and many students do not see the use of it. I remembered in my UMKC Dental days in which we have occlusion at 1:00 on a Wednesday afternoon. That wednesday is the day that our group went across the street for Chinese buffet weekly and it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep my eyes opened during the lecture! The food was heavy, I was full and lecture too boring to boot!!! I was sitting right infront of my professor but thank GOD I was a good student so she did not kick me out. How much did I learn about occlusion and remember the concepts at the day of graduation? I say 3%!!! Not until I did my residency that the occlusion concepts get ENGRAVED into my brain. You see, occlusion is the ideal way of how teeth should come together and how they should interact with each other during function. You can ignore 80% of the theory and patient can function such fine. Very very rarely that you see a person with ideal occlusion but they are doing fine. No problem...Why? because the body has the amazing ability to adapt to "make it work"! But I would not use this rationale to do sloopy work because if you ever get into a lawsuit, lawyers WILL find a way to get you nailed! If you failed to follow a rule of occlusion while you did that full mouth rehab, he will find it whether or not that error is the cause of the patient's complaint. DP
While I was the professor at UT, I taught Fixed prosthodontics and Occlusion for D1 and D2 classes. Occlusion is a tough subject because it is "boring" and many students do not see the use of it. I remembered in my UMKC Dental days in which we have occlusion at 1:00 on a Wednesday afternoon. That wednesday is the day that our group went across the street for Chinese buffet weekly and it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep my eyes opened during the lecture! The food was heavy, I was full and lecture too boring to boot!!! I was sitting right infront of my professor but thank GOD I was a good student so she did not kick me out. How much did I learn about occlusion and remember the concepts at the day of graduation? I say 3%!!! Not until I did my residency that the occlusion concepts get ENGRAVED into my brain. You see, occlusion is the ideal way of how teeth should come together and how they should interact with each other during function. You can ignore 80% of the theory and patient can function such fine. Very very rarely that you see a person with ideal occlusion but they are doing fine. No problem...Why? because the body has the amazing ability to adapt to "make it work"! But I would not use this rationale to do sloopy work because if you ever get into a lawsuit, lawyers WILL find a way to get you nailed! If you failed to follow a rule of occlusion while you did that full mouth rehab, he will find it whether or not that error is the cause of the patient's complaint. DP
Dr. Dai Phan said:Hello,
While I was the professor at UT, I taught Fixed prosthodontics and Occlusion for D1 and D2 classes. Occlusion is a tough subject because it is "boring" and many students do not see the use of it. I remembered in my UMKC Dental days in which we have occlusion at 1:00 on a Wednesday afternoon. That wednesday is the day that our group went across the street for Chinese buffet weekly and it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep my eyes opened during the lecture! The food was heavy, I was full and lecture too boring to boot!!! I was sitting right infront of my professor but thank GOD I was a good student so she did not kick me out. How much did I learn about occlusion and remember the concepts at the day of graduation? I say 3%!!! Not until I did my residency that the occlusion concepts get ENGRAVED into my brain. You see, occlusion is the ideal way of how teeth should come together and how they should interact with each other during function. You can ignore 80% of the theory and patient can function such fine. Very very rarely that you see a person with ideal occlusion but they are doing fine. No problem...Why? because the body has the amazing ability to adapt to "make it work"! But I would not use this rationale to do sloopy work because if you ever get into a lawsuit, lawyers WILL find a way to get you nailed! If you failed to follow a rule of occlusion while you did that full mouth rehab, he will find it whether or not that error is the cause of the patient's complaint. DP
Dr. D, isn't it quite amusing how occlussion, which is the core of what we use in our profession is consdered "boring" simply because it isn't as "sexy" as a bunch of veneers 🙄 😀 Then of course with those "sexy" veneers, if you don't have that occlussion worked out, you'll find out about that other 20% that you were talking about in the form of a frantic call to for a "veneer that popped off" on Friday afternoon.
I guess a simple way to look at it with respect to occlussion is that you need to learn to walk before you can run!
DrJeff said:Dr. D, isn't it quite amusing how occlussion, which is the core of what we use in our profession is consdered "boring" simply because it isn't as "sexy" as a bunch of veneers 🙄 😀 Then of course with those "sexy" veneers, if you don't have that occlussion worked out, you'll find out about that other 20% that you were talking about in the form of a frantic call to for a "veneer that popped off" on Friday afternoon.
I guess a simple way to look at it with respect to occlussion is that you need to learn to walk before you can run!
Jeff,
I totally agree with your assesment. I really wondered how many dentists consider BOTH forms AND function when they provide cosmetic dentistry. With no disrespect to orthodontists, I have treated some cases where ortho results have given the patient that beautiful smile but patient could not function well at all. I have witnessed many restorative/orthodontic cases with complete disregard to anterior guidance and balancing contacts. Or venner cases where they are placed along the path of guidance , ie, constant detachment... Occlusion can be as complex as they can be, but you only need basic understanding of the principles to NOT getting yourself in trouble! DP
maryh320 said:well I dont have much choice but to study...we have a formal class called "Occlusion", where we have to know all the concepts..bennett angle and all that stuff.
ahhh, what a shame, poor maryh has to learn the bennett angle and all that stuff.......give me a break
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 39
- Views
- 8K
D