Any hope for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maminr

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 35 year-old doing Histopathology(Anatomic Pathology) training in UK. I graduated from med school in 2000 and now I am into 3rd year of my training in UK, 3.5years more to go. I am thinking about taking MLEs and getting into IM in US. Am I being toooooo optimistic? Any chances for me to get into IM? Considering my age, 6 years from graduation (will be 8 by the time I will apply for match in 2008) and changing specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

man I really dont think thats a good idea... you will be like 45 by the time you get goin... think you should just complete what you got goin....

I am 35 year-old doing Histopathology(Anatomic Pathology) training in UK. I graduated from med school in 2000 and now I am into 3rd year of my training in UK, 3.5years more to go. I am thinking about taking MLEs and getting into IM in US. Am I being toooooo optimistic? Any chances for me to get into IM? Considering my age, 6 years from graduation (will be 8 by the time I will apply for match in 2008) and changing specialty?

At the end of the day, if you are happy spending that much time to achieve that goal, then go for it.

If you are not sure, think hard about it because the time you spend in this won't come back for you after you have achieved what you wanted. 8 years is a long time, especially with you being 35 already. Is it really worth it? Decision is yours and you will have to live with it and stick it through, even if you get through 4 years and then think it's too long.

Good luck whatever you decide! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, I don't know why you would put yourself through something like that. With a UK degree you can go back to India and have a great career doing even something like clinical research... something that is very popular and highly profitable in India.

But there are many who give up a lot of good things just to "go to the states." I'm not judging either way, Im just saying you have a lot of options at your disposal.

Think Path...It RULES!!! Seriously, I am so glad good sense prevailed and I didnt get into IM, when I am not mentally cut out for that field...

Anyhow, good luck, whatever the path may be!:luck:

Think Path...It RULES!!! Seriously, I am so glad good sense prevailed and I didnt get into IM, when I am not mentally cut out for that field...

Anyhow, good luck, whatever the path may be!:luck:

Why would you not want to do IM?

Two words: Opportunity cost.

PS: Don't get me wrong, I finished medical school in 2000 in India, 30 years old, and doing a PhD in the US. The opportunity cost that I'm paying is already making me sad. I'm not planning to get licensed in the US though.