Any idea whether Nova will have its MD program by 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrd7889

Accepted!!
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Florida and this would be a great option:watching:

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they will be taking in their new cohort for fall 2018

They are currently listed as an applicant on the LCME website. When they get approved for a site visit they move to candidate status. Then the site visit occurs, then they get brought before the next LCME meeting (which happen in February, June, and October). Then they can start taking applications.

Bottom line: 2019 would be the earliest for them to open.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If they do open for Fall 2018, how would we apply to the school. Will their be a new entry on AMCAS?
I am current student there in the undergrad, and I am trying to find out and can post as soon as I know. I honestly have not a single idea though. But I do have a feeling that it might be like a separate application. Hopefully not :) It would just be easier to add on a school to the application haha. I am excited though, nova already has a great established med school so I can imagine how great this one would be.

They are currently listed as an applicant on the LCME website. When they get approved for a site visit they move to candidate status. Then the site visit occurs, then they get brought before the next LCME meeting (which happen in February, June, and October). Then they can start taking applications.

Bottom line: 2019 would be the earliest for them to open.

Wait doesn't Nova already have a DO school? Trying to understand the reason behind opening an MD school. Michigan State did the same and now has both MD and DO schools but I don't understand the reason as to why.

@Goro @gonnif would like to know your insights as well

Wait doesn't Nova already have a DO school? Trying to understand the reason behind opening an MD school. Michigan State did the same and now has both MD and DO schools but I don't understand the reason as to why.

Yes, Nova has a DO school
Touro had three and then bought NYMC

It's the cachet of having an MD school in your family. it won't be for income...MD schools are expensive to set up and run. DO schools...not so much.

Brings in more money. Help the doctor shortage in Florida, grow the number of med students at NSU. Thats what comes to my mind :)

Brings in more money. Help the doctor shortage in Florida, grow the number of med students at NSU. Thats what comes to my mind :)
It will grow the number of med students at NSU. The rest of those statements-- not so much.
MDs are a money pit as evidenced by CNU.
I expect the florida *maldistribution* problem to persist.

The benefit is however to those who can add another school to their AMCAS app.

It's the cachet of having an MD school in your family. it won't be for income...MD schools are expensive to set up and run. DO schools...not so much.

So it's easier for a DO school to open a new MD school than converting into an MD school?

Since Touro bought NYMC, does it mean NYMC is subject to COCA standards on top of LCME?

So it's easier for a DO school to open a new MD school than converting into an MD school?

Since Touro bought NYMC, does it mean NYMC is subject to COCA standards on top of LCME?
NYMC = LCME
Touros = COCA.

Why would a DO school, with DOs at all levels of administration (Dep't Chair through Deans) want to convert to an MD school? They're not pre-meds on SDN, after all. One would have to determine what's the benefit for the parent organization?

The fact that Nova Southeastern is the only university that runs a DO school to try and open an MD school implies that this is a very daunting process. Touro bought NYMC, which to me says it's easier to buy, than to set up one. NYMC was a money loser for years, mind you. Even the Catholic Archdiocese of NY couldn't turn it around.

NYMC = LCME
Touros = COCA.

Why would a DO school, with DOs at all levels of administration (Dep't Chair through Deans) want to convert to an MD school? They're not pre-meds on SDN, after all. One would have to determine what's the benefit for the parent organization?

The fact that Nova Southeastern is the only university that runs a DO school to try and open an MD school implies that this is a very daunting process. Touro bought NYMC, which to me says it's easier to buy, than to set up one. NYMC was a money loser for years, mind you. Even the Catholic Archdiocese of NY couldn't turn it around.

Thanks for the clarification! But MSUCOM initially started off as DO before opening up MD school right? How did that happen? Does Nova have similar resources to MSUCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification! But MSUCOM initially started off as DO before opening up MD school right? How did that happen? Does Nova have similar resources to MSUCOM?
MSUCHM was founded 5 years before MSUCOM.
VTech's and Rowan's DO schools were both founded before their MD schools, but Carilion and Cooper are both partnerships with hospitals and VTech's osteopathic med school is totally private so both of those are probably bad for comparison.

Not familiar with the MSU story.
MSUCHM was founded 5 years before MSUCOM.
VTech's and Rowan's DO schools were both founded before their MD schools, but Carilion and Cooper are both partnerships with hospitals and VTech's osteopathic med school is totally private so both of those are probably bad for comparison.

Oops my bad. Thanks for clearing the confusion.

It looks like the LCME has accelerated its process. If you look at the two schools opening this year, both WSU and UNLV submitted their DCI's in December 2015 to land a summer 2016 site visit and score October 2016 accreditation. That's ten long months. Now it looks like you can get your materials submitted in April for the same October decision.

I stand corrected.

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like the LCME has accelerated its process. If you look at the two schools opening this year, both WSU and UNLV submitted their DCI's in December 2015 to land a summer 2016 site visit and score October 2016 accreditation. That's ten long months. Now it looks like you can get your materials submitted in April for the same October decision.

I stand corrected.

How exciting!

@Goro Any thoughts about how this will affect Nova's DO program? I know there is such a heavy saturation of students in South FL already that clinical spots are a little tight...do you think the DO program will suffer?

@Goro Any thoughts about how this will affect Nova's DO program? I know there is such a heavy saturation of students in South FL already that clinical spots are a little tight...do you think the DO program will suffer?
It will hurt it, and some of the other FL MD schools. People tend to want to stay close to home.

Any news on if Nova program will be accepting applications this year for the MD program? Will they have an incoming class in fall 2018?

Out of curiosity, what makes an MD school more expensive to run?

Any news on if Nova program will be accepting applications this year for the MD program? Will they have an incoming class in fall 2018?

If they do they won't start recruiting until after August according to their website. There are still some stuff they have to go through.

So, if they are given conditional accreditation in October 2017, how do they field the first year, 2018 Class of 2022, without listing pre-reqs? etc etc etc?

Out of curiosity, what makes an MD school more expensive to run?

Back in the day you could run the first two years with two lecture halls, some rooms to teach and practice clinical skills (on each other), and an anatomy lab. This is no longer the case. Curricular reform has been pushed to encompass more active learning approaches, which are more resource-intensive and expensive to run. Standardized patients have become more common, and they are expensive. All of this teaching requires specialized space that is not cheap to build or maintain. The bureaucratic demands to plan and monitor what students are doing, and provide appropriate and timely feedback, also drives the need for both staff and computer systems, all of which cost money. And, despite what some M3's think, clerkships don't run on charity and good will. The LCME typically wants medical students to spend at least some of their clinical time rotating with residents and fellows, which stipulates either owning or affiliating with hospitals that have GME. Factor in some research labs and core facilities and before long you're writing some serious checks.

Another consideration is that allopathic schools can't rely too heavily on tuition dollars to run. We are supposed to have a diversified portfolio of income, from clinical operations, a parent university, research indirects, philanthropy, etc. Getting that off the ground takes millions.

Osteopathic schools have been generally pushing in some of the same directions, albeit much more slowly. With the exception of adequate facilities for teaching OMM, the accreditation demands in terms of money, faculty, and space are fewer across the board.

Reactions: 2 users
Nova does have candidate status since June and may give them enough time to get their ducks lined up in row for the on site probably early next year.
Site visit happened in July; LCME is reviewing the report with decision to come in October 2017. If approved, first class would sit in 2018.

(not sure if link is broken for everyone else but at work, it won't open; apologies if this is happening to you)

Accreditation Updates of NSU MD College | College of Allopathic Medicine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who haven't seen it on SDN already, NOVA's MD program will be accepting apps starting late October for fall 2018 matriculation

For those of you who haven't seen it on SDN already, NOVA's MD program will be accepting apps starting late October for fall 2018 matriculation
Is there a thread for this application cycle? Having trouble finding it.