Religious research - a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plutomed

Reaction score
Hi all! I was recently offered a research opportunity working with a distinguished professor at my university analyzing relationships between religion and health. It would be a great opportunity for me (from what I have heard/picked up) to get several publications and potentially lead a few studies of my own, leading to one or more first-author papers. It is obviously a great opportunity, but I am worried about the subject matter being religion and health. I would hate for this research subject matter to be seen the wrong way by adcoms.

The research is strictly academic, analyzing the sociopsychological and physical trends associated with religious observance, and is comprehensive of all different kinds of religion. For context, I will have some other mention of religion on my application, so this wouldn't be the only time religion was brought up. I don't plan on writing about my beliefs or religion for that matter on my personal statement, etc. My experience/stats so far are pretty competitive, and I am aiming for a T20 program. What do you guys think? Should I take the opportunity, or just avoid the combination of religion and research altogether? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure the papers would have the same weight as traditional bench research papers. You don't say what your specific topic is, or what the meaningfulness of the research will be towards clinical care. In other words, why should a faculty member with clinical responsibilities reading your application be interested in what you are doing?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't religion considered a social determinant of health? Even at my extremely liberal medical school we were still taught that we could ask about a patient's religious beliefs/spirituality as part of the social history. I say go with your first instinct and do it. It sounds like you really want to do it, and it may not help your application as much as bench research would but it is still a very interesting and pertinent research topic.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't religion considered a social determinant of health? Even at my extremely liberal medical school we were still taught that we could ask about a patient's religious beliefs/spirituality as part of the social history. I say go with your first instinct and do it. It sounds like you really want to do it, and it may not help your application as much as bench research would but it is still a very interesting and pertinent research topic.
Not as a SDH, as far as I know. It gives some important context though.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure the papers would have the same weight as traditional bench research papers. You don't say what your specific topic is, or what the meaningfulness of the research will be towards clinical care. In other words, why should a faculty member with clinical responsibilities reading your application be interested in what you are doing?
It’s a good point. The research from my understanding is analyzing neural correlates between those who are religious and who aren’t, we use MRI scans to analyze anatomical and functional differences. I think the professor also does some work to try and ensure physicians are educated about the research and importance of respecting beliefs, so I may be working on the clinical application of our research. Not sure if that helps or hurts my case.

I think what I’m more worried about is whether researching religion in particular is going to be a turnoff to adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a good point. The research from my understanding is analyzing neural correlates between those who are religious and who aren’t, we use MRI scans to analyze anatomical and functional differences. I think the professor also does some work to try and ensure physicians are educated about the research and importance of respecting beliefs, so I may be working on the clinical application of our research. Not sure if that helps or hurts my case.

I think what I’m more worried about is whether researching religion in particular is going to be a turnoff to adcoms.
You aren't studying religion. You are studying brain structure.

• Haha
No, as long as your university is a reputable university and your professor is reputable. It doesn't have to be Harvard and the professor doesn't have to be a Nobel laureate, but he can't be a known fraudster and he can't be teaching at a bottom of barrel for-profit school.

TL;DR as long as your professor didn't get his PhD out of a Cracker Jack box, you're good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Engagement in others within a congregational setting for worship, fellowship, and service may play a role in health as it has a role in the forming of social support networks which are a social determinant of health.

Reactions: 3 users
This is fine. Some research-heavy schools might pooh-pooh it for being more towards the social sciences realm, but I think most reasonable people these days recognize that many patients' (and physicians'!) religious beliefs affect their health and healthcare choices, and that it's a good thing if physicians can navigate these topics comfortably.